DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your opinions and advice on several topics. Took the 06 1500 Hemi with 7K miles into the dealer for two items. First, when I first got the truck I could swear that at night with the lights on that the white gauge faces were backlit so the gauge face was white and the marks a soft green. Several months ago the dash panel when lit went to all black with the needles and numbers red and all else blacked out. Checked the owners manual and nothing, so I though a bulb burned out and took it to the dealer. The dealer says that the blacked out panel is the way it is, and not with backlit white dials. If so, am I losing my mind???

Second, just recently, the Hemi started having brief periods of rough idle, very subtle but noticeable. The tach needle is steady, but you can feel an lumpy idle. Nothing at speed or under acceleration. The service writer felt it and noticed it. They now tell me there are no computer fault codes, and it must be the Hemi cam. I believe they are blowing smoke cause a radical cam is consistent and this is intermittent. Just because they can't find a code fault doesn't mean something is not wrong. Or is it just Remove and Replace mentality?

Anyone out there experiencing what I am?? Thanks in advance.

Norm

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think it is something alot of vehicles are doing now a days, my buddys 04 Dakota idles like that every now and then and so does my 06 Ram more often than I'd like. We have even noticed it does it fairly frequently in my wifes new 07 TBSS so I guess you may never get a straight anwser about the rough idle.

To be honest I cant even remember the colors on the dash right now, been a long day in 92+ degree heat so just wait for a few people to chime in.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ChiliPepperNorm said:
Second, just recently, the Hemi started having brief periods of rough idle, very subtle but noticeable. The tach needle is steady, but you can feel an lumpy idle. Nothing at speed or under acceleration. The service writer felt it and noticed it. They now tell me there are no computer fault codes, and it must be the Hemi cam. I believe they are blowing smoke cause a radical cam is consistent and this is intermittent. Just because they can't find a code fault doesn't mean something is not wrong. Or is it just Remove and Replace mentality?

Anyone out there experiencing what I am?? Thanks in advance.

Norm
I think what you may be feeling is MDS going active during idle. My sorta feels like the wind is blowing really hard outside and the truck is moving.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 06 has a rough idle as well, service manager said all Hemi's idle a little rough.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
BrandonSC said:
I think what you may be feeling is MDS going active during idle. My sorta feels like the wind is blowing really hard outside and the truck is moving.
Then why is it my buddys 05 dakota and my wifes 07 TBSS does the exact same thing, neither one of them has MDS?

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
My engine idles fine....could be the gas that you use.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I haven't seen a HEMI that idles steadily yet, or one without the infamous "HEMI Tick" to some degree...As far as your gauge backlighting goes, mine is green numbers on a bright white (or very pale green) background with a bright red needle. It sounds like you have a connection or contact loose somewhere, I think they use electro-luminescent lighting for the gauge backlights (like the Timex INDIGLO watches)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 03 Ram and my gauge faces are white with black numbers and reddish colored needles. When I turn the lights on at night, everything is black and the numbers are green with red needles. Just normal to me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There should still be some 06's on the lot. Have them compare yours to one of those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.