DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My durango lately has been getting really warm when sitting still. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of coolant in there, maybe a tad too much actually. I think the problem is my fan, it's either not kicking on at all, or it's doing it really late (like 210+ degrees). What I'm wondering, is if anyone has had a problem with their fan turning on late instead of when it should, and if not, I guess I'll have to figure out if it's actually even turning on at all. When should it kick on? What's the going price on a good used fan? ....all I really need is the fan/motor.....I don't need or even want the shroud because the one I have in there has been chopped for clearance for my body lift...

Any advice is greatly needed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
almost 200 people online and no one knows? ive read some stuff about replacing or jumping a resistor pack or something, but the pictures dont show me much, i think im gonna need REAL pictures of exactly where this thing is located and which pins I need to jump to test it

·
Registered
215 Posts
How's your thermostat? If it were mine, I'd put a 180 in it. Did you put electric fan(s) in it when you did the body lift? Be careful of taking the shroud out--it's there for a reason
abe

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Sounds like you're on your own, buy a FSM and learn how it works or go to your library and read the chilton's/mitchell's whatever manuals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, is this happening with the A/C on or off? Driving down the road, in traffic, needs some exap,les of when it is happening... As for the shroud, do what you want, but if you say you do not need it, then you don't truly understand the reason why we have them and why these trucks run warmer than most...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the electric fans were there when i bought it......the fan shroud was only notched a tiny bit on both of the bottom corners i believe, because the clutch fan was catching it when it rotated

i dont think its the t-stat because when it gets hot, it doesnt overheat.....just gets up to about 210 and doesnt really go any further, so there has to be something keeping it that cool......if the t-stat was stuck closed, that would prevent the coolant from going anywhere, causing it to overheat...cause that little ol' clutch fan isnt gonna do jack if the stuff isnt circulating.......but.......since thats probably the cheapest thing to fix, i will give it a try just in case

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, the clutch fan will go into action at 210 and will start spinning at a higher speed to bring the temp down... If it is while the AC is on, it could be the AC fan in the front - as for fixing, you might do a search - I have a 99, so I do not have one...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.