DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 95 Ram 1500 4x4 & the pass side half shaft or whatever you want to call it is leaking , I know theres a seal in there but how do I change it, Its like a foot inside the housing. Im sure theres some kind of seal puller I have a short one for doing seals on engines & what not but no way will it reach inside the housing. Then how do you put it back in also. Thank you in advance for the help.

JOSH

· Ram x2
391 Posts
Whiteboy said:
I just bought my 95 Ram 1500 4x4 & the pass side half shaft or whatever you want to call it is leaking , I know theres a seal in there but how do I change it, Its like a foot inside the housing. Im sure theres some kind of seal puller I have a short one for doing seals on engines & what not but no way will it reach inside the housing. Then how do you put it back in also. Thank you in advance for the help.

JOSH
Well bottom line is they are a bitch to change. not because anything is really hard, but because you have to do so much work just to get to it.

You will have to:
take off tire/wheel
caliper
rotor
wheel bearing
drain gear oil
pull axle shaft
pull CAD unit

Then you can use a long peice of all thread or a bunch of extensions together to pop out the old seal (it needs to be pushed into the CAD housing from the passenger side knuckle).

To get the new one in I got creative with all thread and a socket the same diameter as the seal, but so some reading on what others have done.

It's not hard, but very time consuming.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time is no problem at all I just wasent sure how its done ya know, LOL. I just had it all tore down because I just put 4 new ball joints on it over the weekend but had no idea how to get that darn seal changed.So Ill need to shove it all the way through into the pig is what your saying? then how do I know how far to tap the new one in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.