DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with 06 ram 1500, no crank/no start

30K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  abcu2 
#1 ·
I need help with my truck. Had it out today and had no problems with it. Shut it off and started it about 5 different times today with no issues. Had dinner with some family, and went out to start my truck to go home, and I have a no crank and no start issue. When I turn the key everything dash wise comes on as normal. When I crank, everything shuts off like normal for the power draw. But no crank, and obvious no start. Fuel pump can be heard priming. I tried wiggling shifter in park while trying to start, as well as shifting to neutral to start. All nothing. Checked fuses that I thought would be related to this and they all seem fine. Starter and battery were both brand new summer of 14. Terminals are still clean. I have a bulldog tuner. And checked for codes which there aren't any being pulled. Battery gauge shows normal. Interior lights work. Headlights still work as well when turned on. I'm pretty sure I have full power. Remote entry still works. I do not have a remote start option in this truck. So I can't check for that. Security light is not flashing when trying to start or when in on position. I checked coolant level like maybe there is a low level sensor that would prevent from starting, but radiator is full. When I try to start I can hear a faint click somewhere near the fuse box area is my guess. Hard to tell being half in truck to attempt to start

I have no idea where to start. I need my truck to pick a rather large gift up tomorrow. I'm open to all options, guesses or theories on this. Please help!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I had a similar issue in the past and it turned out to be the battery. which was only a couple years old.

The battery had enough power to turn on all the lights and gauges, but did not have enough juice to turn over the engine.

I had the battery tested and it was bad. They replaced the battery for free under warranty and the truck started right up.

If you have a jump box or jumper cables, you can hook them up and try starting the truck. That way you would know right away if it is a bad battery.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue recently with my 06 4.7L 1500, same symptoms as you describe. Jumping with another battery made no difference either with that same 'click' and no turn. In the 06 trucks, Dodge switched over from relays for the starter to a solid state circuit in the PDC (where the fuses are) and in my case, this was the component that had failed. I was able to confirm this by running a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the signal wire of the starter motor (this is the thin wire connected to the starter) and having someone turn the key to the start position while I made the connection to the starter wire and the truck started up.

If you've discounted everything else then I would recommend checking out the above procedure. If it's the issue then you will either need a new PDC or rig yourself a switch / button to engage the starter as above while you turn the key until you can get the PDC replaced.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
my issue is becoming hit or miss now. sometimes it starts, some times it doesnt. if i try a few times sometimes itll start. and others it wont. i dont have anyone willing to help me. as all i have handy is my wife, and shes not comfortable helping me with stuff involving vehicles lol.

where exactly is this pdc that you mention. is it replaceable? or does the whole fuse box need replaced? im unsure of what exactly the pdc is.

#5 ·
forgot to update this,as i wasnt getting notifications...
the next day i went to go get my truck. brought a battery load tester. load tested fine. went in the truck, turned the key, same deal. fuel pump primed, lights and everything go off in crank. i did this about 3 times, and then it started on its own like nothing happened. got the truck home fine.

went out a few days later, get in, turn key, and same as above. i did this 3 or 4 times, with the last time it started fine again. drove it a few days in a row without any mor issues. then a few nights ago, i got in the truck to move it, and same thing again. nothing on crank.
its upsetting me because its such a hit or miss deal. and its becoming unreliable. as i dont want to leave town with it, incase it does a no start for me again, and a potential tow bill to get it home..

#8 ·
Well my situation finally became worse. I took my truck to work the other nite as it was freezing rain and snowing. Started up fine, got me to work fine. Went out in the morning to leave work, and run a few errands, which it was fine. I made about 5 different stops that required I shut truck off and to restart to leave. My last stop I made before I would head home, she left me dead in the water. Wouldn't start. I tried beating on the pdc/fuse box with no luck. Tried starting it for over 2 hours. I was left staranded 35 miles from home. My wife had to take an early lunch to pick me up to take me home. I did more reading and researching. Found out there is a starter relay under the pdc and in the fender itself. So I purchased a new relay, grabbed tools and took another vehicle to go work on my truck in the bank parking lot where it left me. Replaced relay, no luck. So I tried the running a wire from battery to remote/signal wire on starter. Touched battery, and motor turned over but wouldn't fire. Had to ask a customer leaving the bank for help. Had them turn my key to the start position as I hit the signal wire again, and the truck finally started. Packed my stuff up and got the truck home. Then went back later with my wife to pick up my other vehicle.

So being as it runs bypassing the pdc, is this a for sure sign I need to shell out the big chunk of change for a whole new pdc for the truck?
Where is a good source to buy one? I went on rock auto and they have 1 type available
I just want to make sure I buy the right one, as there is alot of money invovled in it

#9 ·
Definitely sounds like you had the same issue as me and it's your PDC that's at fault. I haven't even approached replacing mine yet as I just haven't had the cash but maybe you could try some scrap yards / second hand part dealers? Alternative is to rig yourself a button like I did to the cab that will do the bypass for you while you turn the key.

#10 ·
i where was a way that i could make absolute 100% sure its my tipm/pdc. maybe something like a ignition switch would cause this? even tho it turns stuff off in start position like its trying to start.i dont know if, how or where to check for full ignition switch functions. just to ease my mind on that. just alot of money to chuck out there, when im not positve thats the issue.

#13 ·
i went ahead and bit the bullet on a new pdc/tipm...was browsing rockauto, and noticed they only had 1 left in stock, so i took it. put it on my credit card for now till taxes come back. tracking says itll be here thursday. im crossing my fingers that this fixes it. ill be beyond pissed if its something else, as this is a very expensive part. granted its 237 + a 200 dollar core, so ill get that back, but still had to pay 437 up front which sucked.

i thought of buying used, but came to the conclusion, my truck is used, and the tipm is broke. whats to say i get a used one and its junk too. and most junk yards dont allow returns on electrical. so you buy it, its yours. so that was a major deciding factor for me to just buy new/reman. i contacted the company that remanufactured this, and they claim its held under a limited lifetime warrantee, so as long as i own the truck theyll gurantee it.

#14 ·
Well, now I'm really pissed. Got my wife to help me start the truck to get it into the garage to swap tipms out. Swapped them, did the manufacturers way if programming the tipm to my truck. Hit the key. Nothing. Same stupid click. I don't get it. I'm more pissed because now I have close to 500 bucks in it, and it still doesn't work. This time I used my wife to hit the key while I was under hood proving around. I can hear clicking from the starter relay behind the tipm in the fender. So I had her tap the key. And I felt the relay. I can physically feel it click as she hits key. So I unplugged relay and test lighted the wires. I have 2 hot wires when in start position. So I tried to jump the circuit with no luck. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I did dwap this relay when the truck left me stranded. But it was a universal relay. Maybe it wasn't the right one, even tho it fit? So I think I'll goto dodge in the morning and pickup the right relay for it. Can never hurt. Sucks, because I voided the return warantee on the new tipm on install. As they put tamper tape over a plug. That you have to remove to install.
I'm out of ideas here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.