DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The viper fan has 3 wires. black, brown and a yellow striped one. which one is pos and which is neg?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..you stick a small screw driver in the pulley behind the fan (in the small holes) ...use a large crescent wrench on the nut behind the fan and give it one good jerk....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i ended up using vice grips to hold the pulley. but now i cant figure out the wiring. the viper fan has 3 wire inputs. one black, one brown, and one with a yellow stripe through it. do u guys know which one is pos, neg, and the other one? thanks

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
Brown with Yellow Stripe = High Speed
Brown with Orange Stripe = Low Speed
Black = Negative

You'll notice the brown w/yellow wire is larger diameter than the brown w/orange.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply. i have power but the fan only runs when i have my ac fan on. the temp sensor is not working for some reason

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
cretamk said:
thanks for the reply. i have power but the fan only runs when i have my ac fan on. the temp sensor is not working for some reason
Which wiring diagram did you follow?? Maybe we can figure out where you went wrong?? Or if the adjustable temp controller is bad. My first controller was defective, and I had to buy a new one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the dcc control module. IS there a way to wire the fan to just turn on whenever i turn the ignition on and turn off when i turn the ignition off?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
cretamk said:
i have the dcc control module. IS there a way to wire the fan to just turn on whenever i turn the ignition on and turn off when i turn the ignition off?
Yes, but yo udont want to do that. You would be constantly drawing piower and defeating the purpose of the fan anyway. Your motor would run cool, but your battery will probably die fast, and you will probably overwork that fan. I wired mine up using a cheap thermo controller from autozone, and I have had no problems with it.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
mheideman said:
Heres a wiring diagram from previous threads:
That wiring diagram... is not the best one to use... you could end up having both speeds on at the same time... not good... heres the proper one to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant use that diagram cause i have the dcc control module.

·
2,277 Posts
cretamk said:
I have the dcc FK60 unit and havent had any issues with it since I figured out how I want it to work. Look on your installation sheet that came with it, and put the jumper on the controller thats for the underdrive pulley (13 & 14). That will make the fan run at 10% as soon as you turn the ignition on. I ran the yellow (ign wire) into the cab, and tapped it into the cigarette lighter positive. That way, the second I turn of the ignition, the fan goes off as well. I didnt connect the blue (a/c) wire to anything. The a/c compressor has its own fan and intercooler, so its pointless connecting that. I have a picture Ill dig up, showing where to put the jumper in at. Give me a minute.

·
2,277 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
Yes, but yo udont want to do that. You would be constantly drawing piower and defeating the purpose of the fan anyway. Your motor would run cool, but your battery will probably die fast, and you will probably overwork that fan. I wired mine up using a cheap thermo controller from autozone, and I have had no problems with it.
Theres no problem with it. Hooking up the jumper I described on our controllers, only runs the fan at 10% which hardly draws anything. It wont overwork the fan, seings as how the fan is already running. It doesnt have to start and stop, just speed up and slow down based on the temp. Remember, the controllers that cretamk and I have, are a variable speed, not just a high/low setting. Also, theres no reason for his battery to die unless he has the igntion on with the engine off, and lets it sit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks mheideman. i hooked it up to 13-14 and it works at 10% when the ignition comes on, but my temp sensor still isnt working. my truck starts to overheat and the fan doesnt turn on at full speed.

·
2,277 Posts
cretamk said:
thanks mheideman. i hooked it up to 13-14 and it works at 10% when the ignition comes on, but my temp sensor still isnt working. my truck starts to overheat and the fan doesnt turn on at full speed.

Did you hook the yellow (ign wire) up? If so, to what? Where did you put the temp sensor at?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the yellow ign wire is hooked up to the cig light fuse. it works fine because it does power up at 10% when i turn the ign on. The temp sensor is on the engine side of the radiator. between the fan and the radiator.

·
2,277 Posts
I installed my temp sensor into the front of the radiator, that way its easier to adjust and get to. If your looking at your truck from the front, I currently have it located near the bottom right hand corner of the radiator. You need to hook the yellow (ign wire) to either a switched or unswitched source. If you want the fan to go off ass soon as you turn off the ignition, then find a switched 12v source. I for one tapped into the cigarette lighte wire, because its only operational when the ignition is on. If you choose to go with an unswitcehd source, hook it directly to the positive "input" on your controller. If you do it this way, depending on the temp, your fan would continue to run even after you turn off the ignition. It will eventually shut off once it hits the right temp, but who knows how long that may be. The stock clutch fan shut off as soon as you turned off the engine, so I chose to have mine do the same.

·
2,277 Posts
cretamk said:
the yellow ign wire is hooked up to the cig light fuse. it works fine because it does power up at 10% when i turn the ign on. The temp sensor is on the engine side of the radiator. between the fan and the radiator.
Move the sensor away from the direct airflow from the fan, otherwise it could give the controller a false reading. Others who have the same controller as us, have found better luck putting the temp sensor down by the engine inlet instead of up by the outlet. Like I stated earlier, Im happy with mine at the bottom of the radiator on the engine outlet side.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
Im planning on the viper fan with fk60 controller install in the next month or so. :D

Are you guys def feeling a little more pep with the fan install?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.