DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 360 with Jegs brand headers (mistake i think) but regardless I had them put on there and a custom exhaust put on so i can't just get another brand of header. My problem is that it leaks in the #1 cylinder between the head and the header. I used high temp ATV silicone to attempt to seal it up with no luck, i've done this multiple times with still no luck. I've tried a few different brands of header gasket too. the next thiung I'm going to try but i still don't think it'll work is doubling up the gaskets on that one port (I've already cut the flange between the ports so its basically a free moving port.) PLEASE if anyone has any other suggestions PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Have you tried the solid copper gaskets? :gr_patrio

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I havent tried them, that sounds expensive... and I'm on a tight budget. I attached a pic as to how it was leaking out. you can clearly see the black area from where it escaped from and the indentation from where the header was. and although it doesn't look like it, the header and gasket were ligned up which is why i think Jegs makes $#%!!& headers. I actually just got another idea thinking about it. completely attach that side of the gasket and TRY to manually align the gasket with the header. real tough to see in there though
Thanks for the response,
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have the same problem with my 87. its the headers that are causing the problem, i have just leart to live with the little leak. i cant even hear it over the stereo and the tailpipes, lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well heres what i did any it worked... i made the bolt hole elongated away from the #1 cylinder pipe (the one that was leaking) and pre fit it to make sure it would cover all around the weld. I also cut it apart from the rest of the header gasket so i have a completely different section to my gasket and header (2 separate parts) hopefully this makes sense but I've run into a leak where the 4 header pipes converge into the main pipe. I am now trying to figure that one out... i just got a lemon set of headers from Jegs... never again...
Dan

·
Motörhead For Life!
8,397 Posts
there is a kit that Headman Headers sells( And more then likely others sell them as well
It helps to tighten the flange closer to the EX Port..

Part # 15200 don't know the cost but might something to look into.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually figured it out yesterday. i got a smaller gasket and rounded out the holes to make it fit much better. but now i have an issue with it leaking where the 4 pipes converge into one (where its welded) not the collector gasket. any ideas with that???

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
the trouble is HOW you tighten them down. first things first, do NOT use cad plated bolts on an ext system, DO use anti-sieze compound on ALL bolts on the bottom side of truck. mostly ext bolts. when you put a ext sys together tighten it only tight enough, after a few heat cycles retighten them, do the 3 or 4 times and it shouldnt leek. of course we are going on the idfea that all serfaces are flat and stright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.