DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have posted this stuff before but Its getting worse and I want to get an answer.

2001 Ram 1500 5.9l 88,000 Miles

It threw a CEL a couple weeks ago, I got it read twice it said it passes. No problems. Gas milage has gone from 13-14 to 9 in two weeks. Upon initial start up I get a big smell of gas from the exhaust, Smells like really high octane race fuel. Im not sure if power loss has occured or not. Its been -15 to 5 degrees around here latley. It doesnt feel like its running rough or anything.

ANY IDEAS? this mpg is killing me and I cant stand the CEL thinking something is wrong with my truck. :bawl:

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
oxygen sensor would be my first guess on it. Sounds like you might be running rich.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
up stream oxy sensor will cause more of a problem when it goes bad. the 2nd sensor might not change the way it runs so severly, but still cause a rich issue when it fails. have you run fuel injector cleaner lately? buy both the sensors, change one at a time. save the old one that didnt make a diff when changed- for future diagnoses. throw out the bad one that makes a big diff. i'm frugel and tend to keep the old parts i'm not sure where bad.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Lower temps will cause mileage to decrease some because the PCM will run richer until the coolant gets up to temp and into closed loop mode using the 02 sensor.

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But wouldnt it show a code for a bad o2 sensor? thats what I was thinking too but because it said it passed I wasnt sure. And I did fuel injector cleaner about.......4 months ago?

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spun360 "i'm frugel and tend to keep the old parts i'm not sure where bad."

My tool box is half full of old parts I dont want to toss :)

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
yup! half full of parts and the other half doubles of flat heads and triples of philips. guys here love that sea foam- it ruined both my o2 sensors. no fuel system cleaner will spare the oxy sensors! NONE

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So when I replace my o2 sensors do I have to clear the code afterwords? I want to know for sure this is the cause of my CEL. I know you can take the negative terminal off and turn the key, but I read that doesnt work in a 2001 or later.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
not to shure about 2001, cause i run a 96. any advance or autozone will knock off codes for free. start there, then wash the brain.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
So when I replace my o2 sensors do I have to clear the code afterwords? I want to know for sure this is the cause of my CEL. I know you can take the negative terminal off and turn the key, but I read that doesnt work in a 2001 or later.
it works on my 01, I just keep the key turned for about 60 seconds and it clears them

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I have read remove the terminals then push the brake pedal down. (This causes the lights to go on and discharges the capacitor in the PCM.)

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had them try to clear it but for some reason it wouldnt clear. They tried a couple times and the scanner said it succesfully cleared but its still on. Do i have to remove both positive and negative? or just one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im going to be replacing o2 sensors here pretty soon so if that turns out to be the problem i can send you one of my old ones.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
is it or is it not throwing a o2 code? what is the code #? if you fix the problem and the code then will not leave- the problem is the pcm!

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its not giving me a code number. All is says is "passed" Iv tried multiple times with mulitple scanners but they all just say "passed" and no number

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
no code and the cel will not go off! even after you dis the battery and wash the brain? maybe the pcm!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
have you changed out the o2s?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only reason I can think of a decrease in fuel like that is plugs cause mine did that 6 months ago and replacing the plugs got my mpg's back to normal. For the CEL disconnecting the negative cable should clear the codes.

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im pulling plugs Tuesday to check. There only 5 months old though. If they look good them im going to replace the o2 sensor. Both? or should I just do the upstream one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.