• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i have all parts gathered except the cam. i need help picking which one i should go with. i have a 5.9L V8. here are the ones im looking at. i want one that will work okay with stock stall(will change it out when tranny dies). this is going to be a streetable drag truck. mostly daily driving, but i am working on getting a car for a DD. right now i am at 16.3 DA ET. i would like to drop that down to 15s maybe even high 14s would be great. keeping in mind this is a 4x4 and i want to make it faster so i am open to all other suggestions. mods in the sig. thanks for your help

Xtreme Energy™, XR264

KRC 210X

KRC 206x

i just cant decide on my own

thanks guys

·
Registered
984 Posts
Call Comp Cams and tell them your truck specs, engine specs, and what your intended use and expectations from it will be, and they will either direct you to a cam profile they normally stock or can set up a custom profile. Afterall KRC's cams are just comp cams. I have the 224X cam and its way too much for a street truck. A 210X sized cam would be alot closer to what you'd want, may still be a bit too much top end oriented. Im in the same boat as you though, I'm building another engine to replace my KRC one and will be needing to determine my cam specs and I plan to talk to Comp about it when the time comes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i am looking for more power through the whole powerband with a big improvement down low

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
586 Posts
you might wanna try the krc rv cam great torque down low to get the beast moving.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
out of the 3 the 210x would give the broader torque curve....its a 110 with 4adv cut in to it....setting up at 106....hence the choppy idle and low gears and stall needed to get the low end grunt...and it helps in tuning as well from what hemifever has posted....HUGHES has a few cams...calling comp is easy to do , i'd call them

edit.......I have the 224X cam and its way too much for a street truck

was this pre-sct ? B&G tune ? could you ever get the cel to turn off ?

·
Registered
984 Posts
out of the 3 the 210x would give the broader torque curve....its a 110 with 4adv cut in to it....setting up at 106....hence the choppy idle and low gears and stall needed to get the low end grunt...and it helps in tuning as well from what hemifever has posted....HUGHES has a few cams...calling comp is easy to do , i'd call them

This was with B&G Cam Cal on an engine that KRC built me back in 2005. Engine ran like shit and never was any good and truck has basically been setting since late 2005 when I gave up on it. By then wife had popped out our first kid, I got laid off from Lockheed, and I had already blown about 8500 trying to get that pile of crap to run right. Only now am I getting caught up with things (now two kids deep lol) and am going to try to recover from what KRC did to me. This time though I build MY OWN freaking engine! Never again will I buy a "package deal". I never pay to have anything else done for me, the very one rare time I do, it just proves to me why I do everything myself. Because if I dont I just get F'ed in the end.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Caveat emptor....B&G has never been able to tune right and a tune is much needed for the motor to have a long life....what was the ending failure and mileage ?

·
Registered
595 Posts

DODGEPICKUP is right on the money with the 210x. I am running it in my truck and you will at least need a stall and definitley SCT. I tried it once with the tuner set to stock and it felt like you dropped a Four cylinder in it!! I am running the stock 3.55 gears and it will turn both tires pulling off (I am running a locker), but not a smokey burn out(I don't do brake stands!). I do have better heads than stock (see my sig) and a few other bolt ons to go with the cam. All this in a heavy 4x4 QC. The truck does have a nice sound to it, and it will turn heads when you crank it up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you think i will be okay with the 210x without doing a stall right away?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Caveat emptor....B&G has never been able to tune right and a tune is much needed for the motor to have a long life....what was the ending failure and mileage ?
I hear that B&G's flash didnt feel much different than the stock MP PCM was on that engine, which was in a nutshell, crappy. I dont thing anything physically is wrong with the engine as far as assembly goes, I think it's still totally solid. My trans was starting to lose reverse the last time I drove it a couple years ago. I think the SCT may have helped that engine somewhat as I had loaded a test tune on it, and it seemed to really wake it up some, but it still was a dog around town driving, had idle issues especially coming to stoplights I had to two foot it to come to a stop without it dying. With the trans starting to fail after my first drive with the SCT plus it really didnt help with the low RPM problems I totally and completely gave up on it for the last time. Im hoping here soon I'll get a chance to go pick up my cherry picker from a fella that borrowed it, and start pulling that engine and trans out and work on it this fall to rebuild the trans, and tear down the KRC engine, save what's useable for my new setup, sell what I cant use, and put it in the past once and for good. Sadly I only put less than 5K on the engine that I invested about 6500 too through KRC and another 2k or so in miscellaneous parts not purchased through KRC, like the intake, headers, injectors, new accessories and such, MSD, ETC. So, 8500 approximately invested, for nothing.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
you think i will be okay with the 210x without doing a stall right away?
4.10's thats a good start with a 33 or smaller tire....gears are the more important aspect then a stall IMO....

I dont thing anything physically is wrong with the engine as far as assembly goes, I think it's still totally solid

then the motor hasnt failed...no oil pressure issues , no knocking ect....then the tune has failed....bet a sct tune by hemi would wake it up and make it fun to drive....or a fast standalone would run it with no problem....i understand all to well this junk isnt cheap...hence all the DIY junk i do lol

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
DODGEPICKUP is right on the money with the 210x. I am running it in my truck and you will at least need a stall and definitley SCT. I tried it once with the tuner set to stock and it felt like you dropped a Four cylinder in it!! I am running the stock 3.55 gears and it will turn both tires pulling off (I am running a locker), but not a smokey burn out(I don't do brake stands!). I do have better heads than stock (see my sig) and a few other bolt ons to go with the cam. All this in a heavy 4x4 QC. The truck does have a nice sound to it, and it will turn heads when you crank it up.
invest in some 4.10s, you will not be dissapointed :D
I have been lurking on a lot of these cam threads trying to see what's working for other members. Leaning towards a 210x as well. No high stall T/C though.
I am putting down some good torque as is, I don't want it to drop off with a cam swap though.

I hear that B&G's flash didnt feel much different than the stock MP PCM was on that engine, which was in a nutshell, crappy.
That's odd, my B&G was night & day between the stock PCM. TM removal was most of it, but higher rev limiter and revised time & fuel added some as well. Since I ported & worked the intake it's started running rich, so I'll be jumping on the SCT bandwagon soon.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have actually been looking into trying to learn how to do a gear install. 4.10 would be nice!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I dont thing anything physically is wrong with the engine as far as assembly goes, I think it's still totally solid

then the motor hasnt failed...no oil pressure issues , no knocking ect....then the tune has failed....bet a sct tune by hemi would wake it up and make it fun to drive....or a fast standalone would run it with no problem....i understand all to well this junk isnt cheap...hence all the DIY junk i do lol

Well, yeah in a way the tune is part of it. The cam profile is too much for the stock PCM to handle. I did try and SCT tune and it helped a tad but not totally, until the trans started going out. I would do a Fast XFI or Accel DFI or BigStuff3 etc but I live in an emissions county, where we do OBDII testing. If the OBDII port does not communicate with the PCM, or there is a hard code set that illuminates the MIL, its an automatic fail. So, unfortunately, since both my trucks are 96 or newer, they are both OBDII, and are un-tuneable when it comes to emissions and fat cams.

If I had a 95 or 94, it would be a totally different story. I could slap that engine in, yank the PCM, wire in a standalone, put a big stall on it and 4.56's, and slap some new cats on it, and they'd do the ASM test instead of an OBDII test, so it would get run on the dyno with the tailpipe sniffer and as long as the CO and NOx and O2 were within range it would pass. Even with the 224X cam rocking the truck side to side as it loped.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well, yeah in a way the tune is part of it. The cam profile is too much for the stock PCM to handle. I did try and SCT tune and it helped a tad but not totally, until the trans started going out. I would do a Fast XFI or Accel DFI or BigStuff3 etc but I live in an emissions county, where we do OBDII testing. If the OBDII port does not communicate with the PCM, or there is a hard code set that illuminates the MIL, its an automatic fail. So, unfortunately, since both my trucks are 96 or newer, they are both OBDII, and are un-tuneable when it comes to emissions and fat cams.
If I had a 95 or 94, it would be a totally different story. I could slap that engine in, yank the PCM, wire in a standalone, put a big stall on it and 4.56's, and slap some new cats on it, and they'd do the ASM test instead of an OBDII test, so it would get run on the dyno with the tailpipe sniffer and as long as the CO and NOx and O2 were within range it would pass. Even with the 224X cam rocking the truck side to side as it loped.
i'd have to disagree....hemi has tuned larger cam's then that....224x isnt that large of a cam....dak guys run way larger cams then that with a sct tune with no cel's...why pick that cam if your thinking its untuneable wont pass emissions or why the krc bashing if nothing mechanical is wrong...just needs to be dyno tuned with sct..FYI...SCT can turn off the cel...

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
^ "un-tuneable" ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Crower 208/[email protected] .530I .560E part 34419 and 4.10 gears in 98 dodge RamQC Dyno numbers with severily restricted exhaust and stock TB 434 TQ at 3450rpm and 309 hp at 4050rpm mustang dyno 33" BFG Gibson Shorties if I could figure out how to upload I will

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mustang Dyno #s 208/216 @.050 .529 .549 114 centerline Gibson Shorties 2"1/4 into 3" out cat 3" exhaust 3030 Aero Turbine R/T heads 2.02 valves 10.2:1 probe forged pistons stock TB KN FIPK 4.10 gears 4x4 Exhaust is restricted to 1"3/4 at the 90 degree bend from drivers side soon to be Pacesetter longtubes and 3" y pipe. Just the base line with stock B&G 408Flash

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.