DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wire going from the alternator to the relay box is gettig extremely hot after only a few seconds of run time, hot enough to melt the plastic in the box, need help asap. what could cause this? alternator reads as barely charging. shorting out?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
sounds like to me that your alternator is shot but i am no mechanic. hopefully somebody else can chime in on this one.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Something is shorted out. Follow that wire. Does the relay get hot? Is there another wire after the relay that is hot? Relay could have an internal short if the output wire isn't hot.
You could also use a DVOM to test it.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
I'd also check the connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. There was a recall out for a power wire going to the fuse box. Go to the dodge web site (owners section) and put in your vin # and see if your truck was part of the recall. That problem could cause engine fires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, youve helped alot, i put in a new alternator and its not so hot anymore...but im deff going to look into the recall right now. and nothing else was getting hot only the power from alternator to fuse box wire

·
Registered
518 Posts
My last dodge burned up a couple years ago because of that! Make sure you get your recalls done ASAP! That sucked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.