DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 3.9 Manual 5speed. How do I go abouts finding which brand I have? I noticed the fluid requirements are different between brands.

Thanks in advance,

Mountaintrekker

·
Registered
487 Posts
i was gonna ask the same question. how do i id my trans if its either a 727 or a 46rh? i found out my trucks actually a 92. but was made in the last month and some parts interchange i guess. i dont know if 92 had 727's still. whats the difference between the two and how can i tell?

the reason i ask is because when i did my tranny flush i found out the filter is a 727's filter. maybe someone swapped trans in it earlier?

sorry i dont mean to steal the thread. just figured its the same topic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i dont get why my filter matched a 727 filter then. it doesnt make sense to me

·
Registered
35 Posts
trannys

well from what i've read and been told on auto trannys there is a number directly above the tranny pan on the ledge that will be the type and year ,,proably covered in grease but stamped near the left corner on both 42s and 46 trannys,,i have a 3.9 mag and it came with a 42 tranny stock,,but i just replaced it with a 46 rh from a 5.2 donor,,not an easy job but pretty basic changover,,if ya get the numbers off it theres guys here that can better id it just from the numbers...
bigcurt

·
Registered
198 Posts
i dont get why my filter matched a 727 filter then. it doesnt make sense to me
Because the 46RH is based on the 727.

Evolution.
904 -> A500 -> 42RH -> 42RE
727 -> A518 -> 46RH -> 46RE

·
Registered
487 Posts
but their filters are totally different. so why would i have the 727 filter?

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
hmm. maybe i got the wrong filter to start off with. what happened was i went to carquest, asked for the year specific filter, they gave me one. went home an compared to the old filter. it was different with different fluid holes on top and such. different mounting holes. so i brought it back. showed him the old filter and he brought another one to the counter identical to the old filter and said it was for the 727. i dont know. i guess ill give up. im confused.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.