DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my u-joints on my axle (the passanger side especially) and the axle spline nut is huge and the biggist socket i have is a 36mm and its to small but if i get one any bigger it will not go back in the space betwen the nut and the inner part of the wheel hub. what do i need to do. my axle is slapping around and is danger off coming lose and then i have a bigger problem. please help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just replaced my driver side u-joint last Friday. Here is a link that may help, http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php From what this says it is a 1 11/16 I ended up using a 1" 3/4 6 point. Not the best fit but it did work without rounding off the nut. The worse part of the whole project was trying to get the hub out. I finally got $issed and used a sledge hammer to get it out. I figured if I trashed the hub I would just replace it. The hubs are $147.00 a piece. Well the hub was fine. The local parts store sandblasted the u-joint area and installed the new joint for $15.00. (well worth the money. The greasable joint was $27.00.

p.s. you do NOT need to remove the 1" 11/16 nut to get the axle out.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Yeah you dont have to pull the nut off to pull the shaft. You can just pull the hub, which you will have to do anyways. Its just easier to to remove the nut and pull the hub bearing off the stub to press out the ujoint.

steve99ram
I se you are in Waupun. I used to live there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anytime!

v10sport
That's cool! This summer it will be 13 years here. Moved up from Oconomowoc for a job.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
I worked at hte prison for a while before a transfered to this part of the state

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.