DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing a Buckstop front bumper and a WARN 16.5ti 16,500 lb winch on the front of my '07 Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab short bed 4x4 pickup with the 6.7L CTD. The Buckstop bumper will weigh 190 lbs over the stock front bumper and the winch will weigh in at 138 lbs, for an additional total load of 328 lbs over the front axle (i.e., over the existing stock weight up there). Since I am already tail high and will expect some further sag/compression of the stock front coil springs, does anyone know if a set of 4500 or 5500 front coil springs can be installed in place of the stock 3500 springs to adequately compensate for this additional front end load?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Why not run some Timbrens up front? They are designed for circumstances like this, or for plow vehicles.

KB

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KB112 said:
Why not run some Timbrens up front? They are designed for circumstances like this, or for plow vehicles.

KB
I run a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags in the rear, and when I got that system, I did consider Timbrens, but I wanted the selective side-to-side adjustability of the air bags (for when I have my slide-in camper on board).

As for the front, I know Timbrens can also be used up there, but my application is different than a snow plow equipped pickup. In that case, the snow plow is mounted and removed on a seasonal basis, where my bumper and winch will be permanently installed and will be there all the time. Also, Timbrens are more of a passive system (almost more like an extended or more beefy bump or jounce stop). What I need is more height in the front (even without the bumper or winch on there yet). I realize I could go with a leveling kit, however, I don't feel comfortable with just using a spacer arrangement with the weight of the CTD up there and then adding 300+ lbs more with the bumper & winch combination.

I know a couple of guys who did the same thing with their Ford F350's. When they put on a heavy aftermarket front bumper and winch ... they moved up to Ford F450 front coil springs and that did the trick. Hence my question as to whether Dodge 4500 or 5500 front coil springs can fit in place of the stock 3500 springs.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question. If you have access to one, I would crawl around and take some measurements.

KB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.