DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a dual system put on my 04 quad cab. I am having a hard time deciding which way to go. I had a 03 regular cab with a flowmaster an dual crome tips out the back. It would damn near run you out of the cab. A guy a local shop suggested a Mellotone muffler, it doesnt quite have the rumble of the flowmaster. he says the flowmaster is a bit loud for the dodge trucks an I am begining to agree. I have read a few post on here about the magnaflow, but i don't know of anyone in my area that carries it. Does anyone know anything about the Mellotone? What about a glass pack, what kinda sound will that give me? What I am looking for is a low smooth rumble while idleing, a deep mellow sound when u take off an something that won't run me out of the cab at 75mph. Oh an I have a automatic with the 4.7. Any all all suggestions will be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
WELCOME to D.T.!! You should do a search on exhaust for your specified engine within the forum. You will get a ton of useful info!! That is exactly how I picked my "Run me out of the cab" Flowmaster!! But I love the hell out of it!! Once again welcome!

·
Vertically-Challenged
12,020 Posts
Welcome to DT

I did duals as well, i had mine "dumped" after the cab so it keeps the clean look and still sounds great. It drones in the cab a little but i am used to it, you definetly cant hold a conversation when your flooring the gas or getting on the freeway, but hey. It sounds awesome and i wouldnt have it any other way. :rck:

·
Registered
360 Posts
SamCarroll said:
Welcome to DT

I did duals as well, i had mine "dumped" after the cab so it keeps the clean look and still sounds great. It drones in the cab a little but i am used to it, you definetly cant hold a conversation when your flooring the gas or getting on the freeway, but hey. It sounds awesome and i wouldnt have it any other way. :rck:
10-4 !! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
336 Posts
I went with the AeroTurbine AT-3030 ... had it dumped at rear of cab and was way too loud ... took it back the next day and had them extend it all the way back to the rear bumper ... still tucked up nicely and sounds amazing ... slightly louder than stock at idle ... sounds good driving around town and when i romp the pedal she screams!!! i love it!!! :rck: :rck: :rck:

video of how the AT-3030 sounds in my 4.7
http://www.linsenbardt.com/snaps/AT3030.wmv

·
Banned
293 Posts
Great to have here on DT.

As far as an exhaust on the your ride, i can attest to the opinions of most of the dt'ers here are so accurate. I got my 05 hemi in feb of this year, and the first thing i wanted was to let people know that this is a machine not to be messed with(mostly furds and chebbys,nissans, and toyotas). I talked to about 50 dt'ers in pm's, looked at countless threads, e-mails, and the whole 9's. Everyone on dt had an opinion, and different systems. I leaned one way, then the other. I was getting ill !!! Some ears are more sensetive than others, some people are older than others(i'm 42, but get an erection over the sound of my exhaust). I finally went to a muffler shop by me, and he happens to do alot of hemi's. He just happened to be doing one when I showed up at the shop. He said to wait about a half hour and he would be finishing the same truck as mine. He cranked it up, and we went haulin ass!!! I said put my baby in that bay and slap a dual on mine right now!!! So, me and my hemi are really happy now.

It is a special muffler made for the hemi's from flowmaster. On startup, it's a nice mellow roar, idle is pretty quiet with a soft rumble,take it out in open road, step on the pedal, and it "SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS AND ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARS FOR MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!! (Damn, now i'm sweatty and need a cold shower).

Oh, and when your crusin at normal speeds(thats hard when you drive a hemi), there is a slight drone in cab but nothing that with give you a tylenol headache. So research it, talk to people, ask opinions(basically, bug the s--t outta people), but try to hear the sounds at the exhaust shops and go to the muffler manufacturers websites and listen to sound bytes.

Lottsa luck bro, you take care, and take care of that excellent ride of yours.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
I was looking for the same so I got the Flowmasters 70 series and it is just right I think, after hearing others talking about the drone in their cab.

·
Vertically-Challenged
12,020 Posts
i have Flowmaster 50s but there isnt that much of a drone, just enough to notice it. Probbly because i have it dumped right after the cab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so which will give me the sound I want? I want a deep mellow sound, that you can hear when idling, will give me a nice little roar around town an won't drive you crazy on the hwy. the 50 or 70? an do any of you knwo anything about the melotone brand of mufflers? an i want to run it straight out the back if that makes difference.

·
mope
531 Posts
Magnaflow gives you a deeper sound than the flowmaster imo. I have magnaflow on mine, with 3 1/2 tips, and it is deep. It does drone a bit at about 1800-2200 rpm.

·
Vertically-Challenged
12,020 Posts
Well, my muffler guy told me that the Magnaflows are built with some sort of fiberglass and they eventually wear down and lose sound. My Flow is deep so not sure about that. DUMP IT!!!! You will get the deep sound you want. Havnt heard of the other.

·
Master Sergeant US Army
125 Posts
I have a Spintech muffler, and it sounds great. you can check them out at www.spintechmufflers.com. I know my bud in oklahoma just got his '05 and has been having a fit trying to get rid of the sound from the cab. I mean people refuse to ride with him because of the muffler. He has gone through several mufflers trying to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Looouuudddd Is The Only Way To Go With The Dodge Trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
293 Posts
LSU:
I went through exactly what you are to the "T". I've rode in hemi's with the "flow hemi 50's" and magnaflows. Yea, the mags give you a deep rumble, but they certainly dont sound as good at a punch on the pedal as the "flow hemi 50's". With the flow 50's, it wont bother the family or the neighboors(they actually might like it :)). If you get on it, it "roars". There is a little drone at the 1500-2000 range, but it wont bother you or anyone(even with no music on). You can really keep the sound down if you left the resonator on, but then the truck wont have that great sound.

My opinion:2 1/2's cat back, flowmaster 50 hemi can, hack the resonator, 3" dual stainless tips out under the rear bumper. I believe you and the family will love it. Hey, everytime my 9 yr old girl and me get onto the main road, she rolls down the window and say's "HEMI POWER, PUNCH IT DAD"!!!!!!! Oh, I love my little girl. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
NYYankeeDodge said:
LSU:
I went through exactly what you are to the "T". I've rode in hemi's with the "flow hemi 50's" and magnaflows. Yea, the mags give you a deep rumble, but they certainly dont sound as good at a punch on the pedal as the "flow hemi 50's". With the flow 50's, it wont bother the family or the neighboors(they actually might like it :)). If you get on it, it "roars". There is a little drone at the 1500-2000 range, but it wont bother you or anyone(even with no music on). You can really keep the sound down if you left the resonator on, but then the truck wont have that great sound.

My opinion:2 1/2's cat back, flowmaster 50 hemi can, hack the resonator, 3" dual stainless tips out under the rear bumper. I believe you and the family will love it. Hey, everytime my 9 yr old girl and me get onto the main road, she rolls down the window and say's "HEMI POWER, PUNCH IT DAD"!!!!!!! Oh, I love my little girl. :)
I can relate to the exact feeling man, True...... :gr_patrio :gr_patrio :gr_patrio

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.