DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I did read the 50 gagillion posts on exhaust. Yes, I have seen reports of performance. Yes, I have seen posts on low noise. What I need is some advice or tales of experience on the following exhaust issue:

2005 4.7L Quad Cab, Lonestar Package

I want maximize performance without an obscenely loud exhaust. My wife HATES loud mufflers, and I don't care too much for them either. I do like a good V8 growl, but can only handle something slightly throatier than the stock. My quest is maximum efficiency. I only have 1100 miles on her, and I am sure I will be looking to get Nick's AirRam CAI as well. I've investigated the 4.56 gear ratio, but the reports of the "whining" noise bother's me. Nick's gear guy even warned me about the whine, and says its pretty standard with the 4.56's.

Please advise, and include approximate costs if you can. I look forward to reading your replies, and someday to have learned enough to actually contribute advice to others. For now, I'm going to be a voriatious reader of those of you who actually do know what the hell is going on. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I think it is going to be hard for you to gain much power without making the exhaust loud. Most performance enhancing exhaust systems free up your exhaust to make the air flow through easier...This is what causes it to get louder.

·
Registered
989 Posts
keep your stock muffler and buy a set of headers.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Ok here it is:

KEEP YOUR STOCK SYSTEM....

Swap ONLY the muffler for a HIGH FLOW muffler that your WIFE can stand.... Then Install a PERFORMANCE "Y" pipe and an electric cut out... so when the Wife is not around you can hit the switch and open your exhaust up for REAL performance.... and when shes around... just hit the switch again and it will purr like a kitten....

This is looking to be the best COMBO for all round performance from your exhaust system. I have seen several people do this and there is a BIG difference when you OPEN her up. And honestly... it isnt too loud... It sounds tuff but not so bad at all.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
read his post again he really dosent like loud exhaust as well so why would he want a cutout. to make it loud. i know that there is performance to gain but if he dosent want loud, i would say look for another approach. my advice find a friend who has a "loud" exhaust(flowmaster or comparable) and go for a ride and see what you think they are accually not as loud on the inside as they are on the outside this would have tobe my reccomendation as i like it loud. but go for a ride in some trucks and find out what you like.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
well, if that's the case he's in a stalemate. Keeping it near stock sound and trying to gain maximum performance isn't going to happen nor is it worth the dollar.. (i hope i made sense there)

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Yes you did.... to me at least.
A rule of thumb is... the louder it is the better it performs. So if you put it all onto a scale and you only want a littel louder than stock... then you can expect the same performance in relation to that scale.

louder / little performance gain
Mid loud / Mid performance gain
VERY LOUD / greatest performance gain

Its not possible to have your cake and eat it too when it comes to exhaust... unless you have an electric cut out.

It will be quiet like a mouse up till the FORD/chevy lines up with you at the light.... a little hit of the switch opens her right up and BAM you smoke the poor ******* as he didnt know what hit him.... LOL then when the adrenalin rush is over you hit the switch and shes ready for the wife.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
Electric cutouts are legal as long as you put it after the cats right?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I agree to replace the crushed up factory Y-Pipe with a high flow one like Flowmaster. Then JUST replace the muffler with an aftermarket one( you can ask at a muffler shop about which performance muffler is quietest ). Be sure and keep the resonator on to muffle noise.

You will get some improvement but not a ton. Actually, the single exit MOPAR( ie; Borla )exhaust system they use on the Daytona Ram isn't too loud. Stop by a dealer who has one and listen to it. I was at my dealer just a couple days ago when they drove a new Daytona off the transport by me and it wasn't bad at all.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Black05Hemi said:
Electric cutouts are legal as long as you put it after the cats right?
I got mine before the cats.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
the exhaust system on a 4.7 is fairly adequate as far a pipe diameter and bends being mandrel bent......I say just go to a Magna Flow or Flowmaster type SUV muffler and add it to your system...the flow will be better than factory and the extra baffles will keep the noise levels down.......the stock exhasut actually has a crisp sound from the factory if you stand on it but an aftermarket muffler will give it an extra little grunt to make the V-8 you have sound like it should!!!! My next truck is definately going to retain the stock pipes with a performance muffler added!!!

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
Won't he pick up any perfomance if he lops off the stock resonator?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
He will gain a little, but it will also get louder. It is going to be very hard to gain noticable power without gaining sound.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of your help, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm looking up pipes and muffs constantly, searching for a good price. Local body shop quoted $400 for flowmasters :O

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
WOW WOW WOW... 400.00 for a muffler? You need to find another shop.

You should be able to get a HIGH FLOW muffler and have it installed for close to 100.00 .... 400.00 is a complete system and you dont need a system... unless you want to waste your money... in that case get the 400.00 system... but trust me it will not out perform you stock system with a HIGH FLOW muffler.

This is why I say at least purchase a HIGH FLOW muff.... Under 100.00 and then get a PERFORMANCE "y" pipe for approximately 100.00 and have a shop weld it in for you... approximately 40-50 bucks... So for approximately 250.00 you will have a system that will out perform that 400.00 system with ease.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Air Ram. You're the coolest. :rck: Guy was probably just jerking me around because it was Memorial Day, and he had to work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.