DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, have an 86 Dodge Ram Royal 2wd with auto / 318 carb. Love this truck. Engine blew radiator and ended up with oil in coolant, coolant in oil and one big mess. From what I can see it looks like the flap in the exhaust manifold stuck in the closed position, causing exhaust gas to back up, blow a gasket and flow right into the coolant satem...maybe.

Fast forward, picked up a 69 318, refreshed with all stock components. My real question has to do with the distributor. The 86 has a computer controlled lean-burn system. Want nothing to do with that. What is a decent plug and play distributor that can be picked up for under 200?

Will be running a Holley 4 barrel Dominator intake with a 600 cfm as the only real upgrades.

Thanks in advance,
Bib

·
Registered
229 Posts
The factory points style distributor can be had on RockAuto for $40, new, from third parties.

I wouldn't do that, but there's a price point for you.

What I would do is a Davis DUI all in one distributor - but those do list, depending on which one, either side of $400.

Summit does show the Pertronix billet units about $300.

lf you pick up one of those $40 distributors, Pertonix does have the electronic conversion kits for, depending on which one, from $90 to $152; that puts you at (with shipping) about $150 on the low side, $200 on the high side. That may be your best bet.

DO use good wires.

I avoid points like the plague; the Davis DUI units would be what I'd recommend, unless you're tight on clearance; their Tri-Power (which is only $320 list ... Dodge V8 Tri-Power Distributors – Performance Distributors ) may not be a bad choice either.

RwP

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
The factory points style distributor can be had on RockAuto for $40, new, from third parties.
A 1986 would not have a points distributor, Mopar has had electronic ignition since 1972. The engine itself is from 1969 but isn't going into one.

What is a decent plug and play distributor that can be picked up for under 200?
Will be running a Holley 4 barrel Dominator intake with a 600 cfm as the only real upgrades.
Plug and play would be a factory replacement distributor: 1986 DODGE D100 PICKUP 5.2L 318cid V8 Distributor | RockAuto
Personally I would go with this kit, the tried and true Mopar ignition conversion kit: Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit, Hi-Po ECU
As mentioned, you could also go with the D.U.I. but it is pricier. There are also MSD Accel, etc; comes down to wallet and personal choice.

Just a note, a Holley Dominator is a single plane manifold and probably a bit much for a bone stock 318 (especially if you aren't doing a cam change); power range starts at 1500 rpm (not off idle like a dual plane manifold) and they tend to be a bitch to get warmed up on cold mornings lol (might be an issue 4 or 5 months out of the year where you are). I would go with dual plane of some sort (I had an Edelbrock performer dual plane on a 360 with their 600 cfm Carter AFB copy, worked well in my '72 Charger), but ultimately that's your choice.
Also should mention that pre 1972 cylinder heads don't have hardened exhaust seats for use with no-lead gas; you say it was refreshed with all stock components, but do you know if hardened seats were installed in the stock heads or if different heads with hardened seats were installed?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whereas the distributor isn't going into a 1969 body, the motor is 1969; and if he's swapping to a straight carb, he's probably disabling the LeanBurn, which kills the spark controller.

If not, then the stock dizzy for a 1986 would be the choice.

HemiLonestar is right; there's a REASON why they make dual plane intakes. For stock level cams, they make a lot more sense. (If you're building a rev monster designed to sit at 7,500+ RPM all day long, it's not as big a deal; but with a stock cam, you can't quite get there.)

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot thank you guys enough. Not going points. Valves not hard, will need to add lead. Damn on the single plane...no wonder why it was so cheap. Okay, time to go shopping.

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
I cannot thank you guys enough. Not going points. Valves not hard, will need to add lead. Damn on the single plane...no wonder why it was so cheap. Okay, time to go shopping.
Can always get them added or easily replace the heads. Honestly if I were you I would find a set of later style LA 360 heads. Hardened valve seats, better valves and ports. These were eventually used on later 318's before the Magnum series but those old 318 heads were absolute shit with tiny ports and valves. Set of iron 360 heads (even with just the 1.88 intake valves) or a set of the fabled early 340 heads with 2.02 intake valves would go so much better with an aftermarket intake (like an Edelbrock, Holley, etc); even better with a cam upgrade. Of course, the best route would be to find a whole 360, be it an LA or a Magnum and bolt that in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts