DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RUNVS?
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help with some stereo ideas/ info. First off I'm not a big stereo dude never really saw myself with a custom stero setup. My wife thinks I like/listen to the stereo really loud but my daughter thinks it should be louder. That tells you about where I'm at. I have the upgraded 6 speaker Infinity stereo and I've been thinkin the dash speakers sound a little thin and I pretty much have to go to negative bass to get clear sound out of the speakers in the front doors. When I crank the bass even a little it sounds like sh*t. So I'm thinkin I just go to the store get 6 better quality speakers for about $400 and poof it sounds much better. I don't really have a problem with the head unit and never really thought I needed so much bass that I needed a seperate woofer.

Well.........it took about 10 minutes to get fed up with the 16 year old kids that work at Best Buy and Circut City. So I go to Tweeters and sure enuf they can hook me right up. They can do the speakers and a 5 channel amp, they say I just gotta have one, (all Alpine) and 10" JL Audio Stealthbox all for only $$1,800.00.

$1,800.00........OMG!!!!

Any ideas? Is better sound impossible for under 5 or 6 hundred?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Thats a good price.............do it

·
Registered
557 Posts
azj60 said:
Any ideas? Is better sound impossible for under 5 or 6 hundred?
Bud... I'll be honest with you.
500 or 600 bones is what I'd charge for laber to do the job right... if you want speakers, amps, subs & installation accs inc\labor for 500-600 go see the kids @ BB & CC... and God have mercy on your truck ;)

·
RUNVS?
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
racer raul said:
Bud... I'll be honest with you.
500 or 600 bones is what I'd charge for laber to do the job right... if you want speakers, amps, subs & installation accs inc\labor for 500-600 go see the kids @ BB & CC... and God have mercy on your truck ;)
No, I understand 1800 isn't bad on a new system. What I was wondering was if ONLY new speakers are a option and would they help the sound?

The frustrating part is that it seems like speakers won't help. I thought 500 or 600 would be reasonable for the speakers only. I can put speakers in. It seems like the head unit really limits what can be done (ohms?). I don't think I've gone cheap on the truck yet, I was just hoping for clear sound not window shaking sound.

Rather put the next $1000 under the hood, Fastman TB & headers.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
I have an Alpine Deck, Boston Acoustics 6x9 3-way speakers, and an Alpine 4-Channel amp that i would be willing to sell for 500 if you want.. (originally paid like 700) have only used it for a few months.. but i came across a better setup.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's hard to change speakers with the Infinity system because there is an amp powering the front speakers and you would have to change that out as well...Personally I'd go with the $1800 seeing as I have spent more than that on replacing my speakers and adding an amp to power them....Dont even have subs yet!

·
Registered
103 Posts
look if you say your happy with whats in there now except for xxx then replace the xxx and see how it sounds. try a set of good dash speakers and go with a small amp and single ten. not the stealthbox, that is where half of that price is. iv'e been selling and installing for over 6 years, and i never sell someone something they don't need unless they ask for it. everyone has different tastes, me i'm running a five channel and a four channel alpine in my qc, but i don't drive your truck, you do fix what's wrong if you decide you need more go back and add it why waste money on what you don't really need to be happy with it, put the rest of that 1800 under the hood!!

·
AJ Gtz
302 Posts
I personally think that's a bit too much money....well not really..I got all my audio stuff for about $450 not including the 6x9's...i got them for free...but if you want to go the cheap way..just install the system urself...i'm planning on spending at least $2,000 on four 15" Diamond woofers and four mono 1200 watt amps...i'm planing on going to the Texas Heat Wave in Austin and showing off LoL...that is if everything goes well...other than that....the system i have currently hits really hard as is...

i'm become crazy when it comes to audio!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
The upgraded Infinity system really blows. They used the bottom of the barrel speakers from Infinty. Right now, I am rolling in a rental 04 Neon, and that cheap car has 10 times better sound than did the Infinty sytem. You really get what you pay for when it comes to car audio. If you dont understand the basics of car audio, then I'd suggest leaving it to proffessionals. Even though our trucks are relatively easy to work on, a novice would have a hard time getting into the doors, fabricating new 6X9 mounts and trying to keep all the speakers in correct phase. First thing I'd do is get yourself a good hi-volt preout stereo. This would be the foundation of your system and you can always start adding to it. Baby steps, if you cant afford to go big all at once. Remember, Rome wasn't built in one day and it is surely gonna cost you quite a bit to get a quality system in your truck with quality installation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.