DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am running a 40 Series Flowmaster on my truck with dual out pipes exiting at the rear. I am thinking of going to the exhaust shop tomorrow and having them cut the muffler off and just running straight pipe dumped under the cab.

I am looking for sound and performance - will this be an improvement over the muffler? Or am I going to run into an issue where I have little exhaust velocity, thus a loss in low end grunt? Is it going to be raspy when at WOT?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I can only comment on the Flow40 dumped. :D

·
It's a JEEP thing!
3,233 Posts
i wouldn't straight pipe it.

I've heard that the truck needs a little back pressure for peak performance.

Get a aeroturbine, hemi specific flowmaster, or magnaflow

You could also just get an exhaust cut out. So, you can keep what you have now and when you want "straight pipe" sound/perforamnce you can simple flip a switch

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely want a cutout, but I don't see the point of one unless I have aftermarket headers that flow better - either long tubes or the Edelbrock TES'. Exhausts dont need backpressure, they need exhaust velocity. Velocity is that frees up and adds the power.

That is why I am curious if a straight pipe will increase my exhaust velocity more than my 40 Series Flow.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went and had them straight pipe and dump the muffler. All I can say is WOW. A lot louder than my Flowmaster 40. I've been driving around all day with a huge grin on my face!!!

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
Well, I went and had them straight pipe and dump the muffler. All I can say is WOW. A lot louder than my Flowmaster 40. I've been driving around all day with a huge grin on my face!!!
haha....glad you like it. We just installed dual cutouts on my buddys 05 rumblebee after the cats and its lounder than my single cutout.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Grant211 said:
i wouldn't straight pipe it.

I've heard that the truck needs a little back pressure for peak performance.

Get a aeroturbine, hemi specific flowmaster, or magnaflow

You could also just get an exhaust cut out. So, you can keep what you have now and when you want "straight pipe" sound/perforamnce you can simple flip a switch
not bashin or anything, just tryin to make u understand what u said. if a cutout helps sound/PERFORMANCE it doesnt make sense that ur sayin u need back pressure for performance, because a cutout obviously gets completly rid of back pressure.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
simioh said:
not bashin or anything, just tryin to make u understand what u said. if a cutout helps sound/PERFORMANCE it doesnt make sense that ur sayin u need back pressure for performance, because a cutout obviously gets completly rid of back pressure.
Backpressure vs velocity is the key. Backpressure does not increase performance, increased velocity does. For example, say you put a 5" pipe on your exhaust, you'd have NO backpressure and very little exhaust velocity. Your performance would suffer. On the opposite end, imagine running 2" pipe - you'd have tons of backpressure and tons of exhaust velocity - but it would hurt performance.

There needs to be a balance between backpressure and exhaust velocity to increase performance. I don't care if I lost 5 rwhp with my current setup, the sound more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Don't be screwing around with your truck until Beta Testing is over. :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bucci said:
Don't be screwing around with your truck until Beta Testing is over. :D
:D

I am serious, I was skeptical about doing this because opinions were split 50/50. It is not for everyone - especially if you have kids or a wife or girlfriend riding with you all the time. It is crazy loud. I thought my FM 40 had cab drone . . . hehehehe.

But if you want loud, deep, and throaty, this is the way to go. It cost $60 and sounds 10x better than any muffler I've heard.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
sandiegohemi said:

But if you want loud, deep, and throaty, this is the way to go. It cost $60 and sounds 10x better than any muffler I've heard.
i'm with u all the way on that. the first time i installed the exhaust on the truck, i actually drove it around for 2 days with no muffler or resonator on, just the cats, if it were up to me i would drive it like that everyday. but it's my dads, and he likes quiet, so thats how it is

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya. I've driven like 40 miles today so just I can listen to it. THIS IS THE SOUND I HAVE WANTED ALL ALONG! The tough part is thinking of the excuse I will give an officer if he pulls me over for noise ordinance violations hehehehe.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you don't have engine work like a cam and heads and a CAI, the performance will suffer on the low end.

Velocity only works when you have the engine mods to make it a large air pump.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kenihemi said:
If you don't have engine work like a cam and heads and a CAI, the performance will suffer on the low end.

Velocity only works when you have the engine mods to make it a large air pump.
I don't doubt what you are saying, but I felt more low end loss with a 40 Series and 3" single exit than with the straight pipe. Plus as I mentioned, if I did in fact lose 3 rwhp @ 3125 rpm's, I'm not really that concerned. The sound is what I was after.

·
Relentless
1,859 Posts
Uh.....where are the sound clips at....lol I just got rid of my Flowmaster 50HD and had a Super 40 installed and i like it alot better....then i open my cutout to really piss people off...lol

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
sandiegohemi said:

I am serious, I was skeptical about doing this because opinions were split 50/50. It is not for everyone - especially if you have kids or a wife or girlfriend riding with you all the time. It is crazy loud. I thought my FM 40 had cab drone . . . hehehehe.

haha my gf hates how loud my truck is... And i dont feel like closing my cutout so she has to deal with it or walk. She freaks everytime I go fast or race someone. Oh well girls will be girls :rck:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HemiRamOn22s said:
haha my gf hates how loud my truck is... And i dont feel like closing my cutout so she has to deal with it or walk. She freaks everytime I go fast or race someone. Oh well girls will be girls :rck:
Amen brother!

·
Relentless
1,859 Posts
When i first brought it home with the cut out open....my girlfriend said it sounded like gun shots inside the house...lol

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
haha, that should be their marketing "the girlfriend will think you're bringin home a new shot gun". They will sell twice as many....that said I have a super40 on mine and love it, would still like a cutout but don't feel like dumpin the money on that at this point.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A day later, I still can't get this shit-eating grin off my face. This thing is mean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.