DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a pair of side bars for my 2001 Ram. I would like some recommendations on which ones to purchase and where ?

Thanks in advance? :gr_patrio

·
Registered
385 Posts
You can try the westin bars, sold at most auto shops. The are very easy to install _no drilling or cutting, and IMO the look great and do the job. They ran -2 yrs ago- about 190 bucks.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
The '96 I just bought has the black Westins. They look good. Previous owner isn't happy, because they started peeling and rusting, especially on the rear parts, inside of the corners. He said he kept kicking the snow and ice out of there, but they did it anyway. I'm gonna sand the rust off, prime them and paint them. I'll paint them black every year if I have to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have Westins chrome. Really like them. As was stated, an easy install.

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
westins are the best, they come with all the hardware and brackets needed, and it all bolts on, it's an even easier install if u have an impact gun

·
Kilroy
545 Posts
I have a pair of smitty built that i purchased off of ebay for 139, they are rusting in the corners also just like the westins i can only assume that no matter what brand you purchase if they arent stainless you should expect rust.

i have wire brushed mine a couple of times already and used black rustoleum
this time im going to try POR15 and see if that helps.

i also think that no matter what brand you buy , if you buy new you will get
all the hardware to mount them.
took about 40 minutes total to install both of mine

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to order the Westin but the store is out of stock, and will not have any for a month.

On JCWhitney site they have polished stainless stell step rails for $249.95
On Summitracing thay have smittybilt sidebars stainless steel, chrome for $299.95

Whats the difference between getting Chrome or Stainless steel ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had the black westins for 6 years before they completely rotted out under the step pads.. the rust was so bad inside that they didn't even "ring" when i knocked on them

i'm going w/ the true stainless ones for the next go round.. i don't want to have to worry about anything rusting

shadoe.. the difference is that "chrome" is chrome plated steel, if you knick it or it's not plated on the insode they will still rust. "stainless steel" is solid stainless steel, i think that there's no iron in it so it will not rust, much more expensive, but worth it in the long run, and nicks will not rust either. the downside is that you will have to keep it polished or apply a clearcoat (if they haven't done it already) i have a stainless stell grille (same material... 304 stainless) and it's not that hard to keep clean, and scratches do not show up that easy

bdr

·
retrogrouch
357 Posts
Do not buy the Mopar ones !

I made a bad mistake and can now not undo it with out the damage showing.

One tip i will give you fill the tube with foam spray insulation ,the new Hilti stuff is perfect for this application.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i got black westins for $110 brand new off ebay

·
retrogrouch
357 Posts
bigdogrod, foam holds up well 8 years of New England weather and still going.

·
Registered
286 Posts
it wasnt a company just some guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.