DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have had lt's, y pipe, and 6.1 cam laying around for probably 3-6 months +. Finally ordered my muffler and cutout from summit today. So full exhaust will be installed before v-day.

Now the part i need help with is whether or not i should throw the 6.1 in there since it cost hardly nothing and it would be extra hp, or hold off, go all out and throw something big in there with some heads? how many of the fast qc and rc guys are still running the stock 3.92 gears?

i know i want to do a e fan, get some 26.5" dr's, run the short belt with the new exhaust and see what kind of times i can pull. just trying to get some new ideas. if you had 2k, what would you do? converter, gears, big cam, heads, what combo? i am gunning for a fast rc, probably go slow like my 10 sec neon project. ha have the power (430whp), just need 26" slicks, and 7k rev limit, have not done anything with it in a year. but all input welcomed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i would say go ahead and do your exhaust. then if your going to stick with the superchips talk to stu about a crazy spartan cam on a 114 LSA. if your wanting to go bigger and buy a diablo then you can get some serious power from a bigger cam and some ported heads. all depends on your budget and what your goal is with it. since you wanna go really fast id say sell the superchips and get a diablo, big cam and heads, with the big cam your gonna want to get a good TC and the 3.92 gears should be plenty. do you already have LSD ?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If he went with a big cam, with a set of heads, and diablo. What kind of extra ponies will he be looking at.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
for the money buy some $20 pushrods and $65 springs make sure the ICL is about 110-112 and you have a good 25 HP for cheap. Yeh, theres better stuff out but the best stuff now probably won't be in a year so get the cheap HP.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the money buy some $20 pushrods and $65 springs make sure the ICL is about 110-112 and you have a good 25 HP for cheap. Yeh, theres better stuff out but the best stuff now probably won't be in a year so get the cheap HP.
Almost exactly what I was thinking. I just dont wanna lose the tq down low, like I have seen dynos of with the 6.1. What can be done about that yet still have the awesome top end pull everyone talks about.

Also when i talk about fast i mean low 13, possible high 12's, with th 6.1 if i am lucky enough!

·
12.40 @ 105.92
3,810 Posts
Didn't lose much down low here, especially at the track with the 6.1 cam. If you put it in, you'll go faster.............only problem being, then you'll want more, and more and more.......................then the real fun begins...haha, lol

·
ready to wake the beast
50 Posts
i say you just sell that ugly thing and by a skateboard lol lol get some high performance bearings and there you go.... ha ha jk im only saying this cause i have no idea what you guys are saying but i am here to learn so preach on brothers lol

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ your retarded, but if you hang around enough we ( other dt members, not me) might learn ya something! But i see your sig now

Didn't lose much down low here, especially at the track with the 6.1 cam. If you put it in, you'll go faster.............only problem being, then you'll want more, and more and more.......................then the real fun begins...haha, lol
fastgraph (name??) do you have before and after dynos of strictly the came, or give hp and tq numbers?

more than likely gonna stick the 6.1 in thier, just getting others opinions. thanks

·
ready to wake the beast
50 Posts
i know... its crazy huh.... like a hotdog taco!!!

·
1,965 Posts
I ran a 13.5 with neg 200ft DA, i think may have been alittle better air. With pretty much the same setup as you plan on doing but I have an efan and no filter at the track. That was on my 20's. Low 13's are easy with that setup even in positive DA with 17's and DR's. If you plan on towing still I would reconsider the 6.1 cam it doesn't have alot of grunt of the line but pulls really hard up top. With a higher stall, I think it would be a really good cheap setup in a light RCSB 2wd.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
sure do it.
RC can rock with the 6.1, superchips and little to no tuning issues
then later if you want to do heads you can go different cam, tuning and whole deal.
Sky's the limit once you get started :)

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
The 6.1 is a good cam in a lighter 2WD RC, but there are much better cams that will make you happier in the long run. If you're doing the install yourself and are tight for money, toss it in. If you're paying someone to install it and have a little extra to spend, go with something bigger.

·
Finally FRI'd!!!!!!!!!!!
1,240 Posts
there a couple of sidewinder for sale in the classified. one new for 375 and one used for $250.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
dont know if i would call myself a fast qc but i run stock 3.92's and i know most of the fastest people on here have the same.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the way i look at it is like stu said, another 90 dollars and get another 25whp. that will give dsp some time to get thier stuff right, me build some money up and go bigger with heads and a tune.

at least i know the setup is proven to be mid to low 13's with potential to be better.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
the way i look at it is like stu said, another 90 dollars and get another 25whp. that will give dsp some time to get thier stuff right, me build some money up and go bigger with heads and a tune.

at least i know the setup is proven to be mid to low 13's with potential to be better.
If you set it up right I'm positive a 6.1 cam would run 12's in some good da. My truck would love a 6.1. I ran 13.12 on stock cam so if I had a 6.1 thats got to be around a 12.99

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I think it can be done, won't be easy but it were someone would have done it by now. I'd put the cam in at maybe 110-112 ICL to build some torque and cylinder pressure.

·
TUNED??? its an 03!
1,287 Posts
Stu if we had someone help me with some track prep and if I ran somewhere along the coast in some neg. DA. We could see if would get into the 12s.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
come on down here, check my sig for da. And i am gonna attempt to make it go 12's if not somekind of low 13. If I fail I will take it out and give it to gary! I know he can make it go 12's, if he does not get one by then? whenever that may be?

Will have to check with fg04 first, he said he wanted it back if Idont use or want it anymore. But one way or another we will get the 6.1 into the 12's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.