DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wierd brake problem, I have a 1500 '01 with a fresh 5.9. I had this problem before I swapped motors,but anyways, I can pump the brakes(with motor off) and they stiffen right up,but with the motor running the brakes will self-apply but only when when I give it some gas. Per the manual, it says "replace booster", I'm wondering if anyone had this problem, and what they did to correct it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like the booster alright.... had the same prob on a '66 Plymouth with the booster vacumm line pinched of the brakes were fine, but no assist of course. When vacumm was applied to the booster the brakes would apply full on at the touch of the brakes and remain on...interesting in the winter lol!!

Any how, had the booster rebuilt and problem solved :cool:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ya sounds like a brake booster. Check the hose too. Make sure its not leaking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It kinda sucks, because I just paid some jabrony 400.00 to replace it less than a year ago. Word to the wise....learn who to do#@it yourself. I am going to tackle this over this weekend. I will let you all know what I find. Thanks for the replies, and thank you dodgetalk.com

·
Registered
827 Posts
be sure to check the check valve in the booster line first.......if it's clogged or not allowing vacuum through......brakes will be rock hard...........another dumb question........what is your vacuum at idle?????????you mentioned new motor..........low vacuum equals high hard pedal with lots of effort........might want to look into that first

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just the reverse problem, plenty of vacuum, and I have a new check valve on it. I was actually thinking I have to much vacuum! I have a vacuum gauge at my disposal and will check that some time this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.