DodgeTalk Forum banner

What are your thoughts on Factory Navigation System?

• Love it. . .worth every penny!

Votes: 56 65.1%
  • Should have gone aftermarket!

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Don't have/Haven't used Factory Navigation

Votes: 27 31.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I wanted to find out what your thoughts were on the factory Navigation system and all that it offers. At an almost $2,000 premium, would one be better off buying aftermarket? Aesthetically, the factory system looks clean, but how about functionality versus what is out there?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I traded in an ACURA CLS with navi for my Magnum RT. The Magnum was the only car in this price class with a decent navi that was comparable to the Acura's. The Magnum's motor and chassis was icing on my automotive cake, but at the time of my purchase they both came second to the navi. I'll never have another car without a navigation system!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Magnum is the first car I've ever owned with a NAV. When I bought it, I only hesitated for a nano second (On the price) on whether or not to get the NAV system because I wanted my Magnum to have all the bells and whistles. Since I've had it, absolutely no regrets. I love it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm going aftermarket. My SXT didn't have the option at the time to go with a NAV, and looking back, I'm glad now that the NAV/DVD I'm getting installed cost's about the same price, but comes with a fold down for the back too, as well as SAT and DVD and XBOX installed. But I do like the way the fac NAV looks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks like a pretty decisive poll to me den...

BTW Blackcomb: Which system are you having installed?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Clarion Pro Audio VXD755 7" plus a 15.3 flip down for the back seat. Speakers were done a long time ago, after I tired of having Dodge replace my 'premium' audio speakers. Sounds great now, I can only imagine tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Blackcomb,

Does the clarion unit have the "points of interest" database? Updatable with DVD? Have other functions that the OEM unit lacks?

I haven't used the unit in the magnum since I don't have it yet. I have used the unit in the 300C and I like it alot, I assume the Magnum is the same. I am getting it in my Magnum for all the Nav features plus the screen real estate for Sirius and MP3 display.

·
Registered
401 Posts
dantodd,

Not sure what the GPS that comes with it looks like yet, but as soon as I get it back and am done showboating it around town, (lol), I'll let you know!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I never had a nav system in any vehicle before, but, I can tell you this. After having this in my RT, I'll never own another car/truck without it. The one in my RT works great. You have to remember that the one that they sell you has other functions as well. Such as muting the speakers when you get a Uconnect call, being able to read the song title/artist if you have Sirius as well as a whole host of logging options for oil changes, tune ups, tire rotations etc. Is it worth it? It is to me. But, I think that it's actually a personal preference.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had the R/T for 4 hours and it already helped me out. Went across the bay to pick up some BBQ. Needed to hit the ATM on the way home. Just hit "Points of interest" "ATM" then scrolled to the nearest Bank of America. Simple and great time saver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As others have already said once you get used to having a nav system it is pretty hard to live without it. The factory system is pretty good but does have some pretty annoying UI deficiencies. At the top of everyone’s list is the fact that it locks out most functionality while the car is moving. Also when using destination database you can select by type or by name. If you select by type the responses are sorted by their distance from you. If you search by name the results are in random order which is not very helpful if you entered something like Starbucks. If you live outside a metro area the system will not auto route over "unverified" roads. Nothing huge, just things like that which are very annoying compared to the Garmin unit that I use in other vehicles. What tips the balance is the great job they did integrating it with the rest of the car. The voice directions come out of the dash speaker only on the driver’s side after the radio is muted in that speaker. The turn directions also appear in the EVIC, they give you an arrow graphic & the street name that you are looking for so you don't even have to look over at the nav unit. At any major freeway intersection it throws up an arrrow to confirm your path, even if no turn is involved. Add in the uconnnect and the system is something I want to have even if it means giving up a few point features.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, I miss nav options while moving that I used to have in my Acura! In the Acura while on the way to a NASCAR race last year that was in an unfamiliar town I checked out local motel availabilty and pricing while I was going down the interstate at 80 mph. I don't see why DC took that option away! Especially when you consider all that U-Connect has to offer. When I was checking hotels in the Acura that its navi told me about I had to take my hands off the wheel to make a cell phone call. With the U-Connect in the Magnum it's actually safer as you never have to take your hands off the wheel, but yet the Magnum's navi is less feature enabled than Acura!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know much about the OEM nav but i really like the one that pioneer electronics made:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_218219118,00.html

double din to give it the OEM look (double din fits right?) You can change backgrounds, way of getting directions, shows car statistics (for people without electronic group package). big bonus that it is a touch screen. also there is an accessory that allows it to be voice controlled i think. It also costs 1,800 same amount for the oem one.

I'm planning on getting this one over the factory nav.

edit: just realized another big bonus: XM navtraffic live traffic reports along with the nav to go with your routes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ARGH..

Nav had the wrong number for the local pizza place today. Made for a bad demo of the uconnect!

(Don't call the Boat Canyon Gina's pizza in Laguna Beach using the number in the AC Disk!)

·
Registered
419 Posts
just a quick question. how do you upgrade the disks???? I mean eventually you'll want to change them out in a few years. right? also concerning my post above what do you guys think of that nav unit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
A new DVD comes out every year. I believe it retails for $150, or so. Sometimes the new release changes are minimal and sometimes they are major. When I had my ACURA with DVD navi I didn't upgrade if only a letter in the part number was changing. I waited for the DVD to change number revisions.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has done the upgrade on the DVD yet. If so, have you noticed any differences? Any new streets where there weren't any?

I know that there's been a few where it didn't know where to go. But, 99% are just fine. I'm not sure that I'd get a new DVD. At least not any time soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Nav is a off by about 100ft or so....in the grand scheme of things that's not too bad, but the GPS I had with my iPaq PDA was far more accurate. The benifit of after market is that if you get XM instead of sirius there are NAV units out that can navigate based on traffic density. I haven't seen it in action, but it sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The XM traffic service is cool but the music on Sirius is sooooo.... much better and the audio fluctuation on XM drives me nuts. I'm surprised that the Nav is off by that much. I haven't done anything to test the accuracy of mine but it always puts me on the right street.

Maybe I'll do a comparison of the lat/lon with a couple of my other GPSes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.