DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered an RB1 and I'm thinking about installing it myself. Can anyone provide me with instructions on how to do this and how difficult it is? Mounting in a 2005 Ram 1500 that already has the basic radio with Sirius. Ant help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
as ive heard take out the old one put in the new one thats it nothing special

·
MFIC
682 Posts
remove the screw at the 'hook'. pop off the front dash (you will see what im talking about). Remove (4) screws - (1) at each corner - from your existing radio. Pull the old radio our, unplug it.

Plug in the new radio and put everything back in the way you took it apart.

It literally took me 10 minutes. EASIEST radio swap i have ever done by far.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The nav antenna goes under the dash, up close to the windshield, pop off the dash cover, put the antenna in its designated spot, run the wire to the RB1 and plug it in, its a very simple install

Bob

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Gentleman said:
The nav antenna goes under the dash, up close to the windshield, pop off the dash cover ...
Or you can do what a few of us did ... just reach through the radio opening in the dash and stick the nav antenna on top of the plastic duct running left/right directly behind the radio. There is room on the right side of the duct as it slopes slightly down. I get perfect signal, and the entire install took maybe 10 minutes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I feel dumb already for asking, but...what is an RB1???

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
GotMyHEMI said:
...what is an RB1???
It is one of the Chrysler navigation radios and made by Alpine. It is DVD based with maps and Sirius artist/song capable. The other is the RB4 ... CD based with no maps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

So far you guys have been a great help, thanks. It sounds like it should be a fairly uncomplicated installation. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry, major brain fart. Excuse the interruption. :huh:

·
MFIC
682 Posts
i just chucked my antenna somewhere in the dash.. perfect reception and never a problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the antenna everyone is placing in the dash? I have aftermarket Sirius and I took the time to run the antenna through the cab and out the 3rd brake light. Hopefully it's not the same antenna.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
the RB1 antenna is seperate from the Sirius antenna, although they look very similar. ive read on here that you can also just hide the sirius antenna in the dash as well and still get good reception.

You can search Ebay for RB1 and see what the RB1 antenna looks like.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You can pretty much put the RB1 antenna anywhere and it will work. I screwed mine up under the dash upside down between the gas pedal and the brake in an existing hole on the bottom lip of the dash and it works perfectly. I have installed 6 or 7 other ones in the same place and all work fine. You don't need to tear the dash pad off to put it up top

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
You can pretty much put the RB1 antenna anywhere and it will work.
Yea, what he said. just throw the darn thing in your dash and forget about it. it'll work.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
GotMyHEMI said:
Anyone have a picture of the antenna everyone is placing in the dash?
RB1 navigation antenna:

You can see where there are holes to secure it in the factory location somewhere under the dash, but it works fine using double-sided tape really anywhere.

OEM Sirius antenna:

Sirius installed:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
DeputyRAM said:
RB1 navigation antenna:

You can see where there are holes to secure it in the factory location somewhere under the dash, but it works fine using double-sided tape really anywhere.
There is no "factory location" on a Ram as the RB1 was never installed from the factory in any of the Rams. There is also 3 different antenna's for the RB1 depending on what vehicle it came out of. The antenna for the Pacifica is different from the Mini-van and there is one more that is different from those two

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
There is no "factory location" on a Ram as the RB1 was never installed from the factory in any of the Rams. There is also 3 different antenna's for the RB1 depending on what vehicle it came out of.
OK, you are right about the RB1, but the RB4 is an option from the factory and I seem to remember reading a thread a while back with pics (or manual pages) of the antenna's stock location under the dash skin. Oh, BTW, here is the RB4 antenna in case you are interested ... they all look about the same:

FYI, I am pulling the top of my dash off soon to install Infinity 3002CF speakers in the two outside locations ... I plan on confirming if/where there is a "factory location" for the nav antenna on my 05.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finished

I received the radio today. Took out the one screw near the "Hook" and slowly, delicately pulled the dash out. The old radio came out easily. I removed the metal plate from the RB1 antenna and put double sided tape on the antenna, I placed it on the duct that goes left/right as suggested above. Plugged everything in, replaced the dash, and it worked fine. Thanks for all the help !!!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I would have never took the metal plate off it, it was put there for a reason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.