DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 5.2 Engine that I have been using for moves for the past 5 or so years and over the last year it has given me nothing but trouble after a lower ball joint detached while driving.

Since then I have Replaced nearly every ball joint and a few tie rods. And after thousands of dollars spent I still have no concrete answer to what it is and how dangerous it is.

Basically the problem is when I turn the entire vehicle shakes and a clunking sound / popping sound is heard from the rear. I replaced the rear shocks and it did not solve.

I am thinking at this point the only things it could possibly be are the rear axle bearings or maybe the front shocks but I have no idea how to test the former.

If you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Jack both rear wheels off the ground ,put in neutral and spin each wheel listening for noise .try lifting the wheel to look for end play. It also sounds like it could be your universal joints going bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for reply ! Definitely going to try this.

Do u-joints effect cornering/turning because that is when the vibration and click is most loud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 5.2 Engine that I have been using for moves for the past 5 or so years and over the last year it has given me nothing but trouble after a lower ball joint detached while driving.

Since then I have Replaced nearly every ball joint and a few tie rods. And after thousands of dollars spent I still have no concrete answer to what it is and how dangerous it is.

Basically the problem is when I turn the entire vehicle shakes and a clunking sound / popping sound is heard from the rear. I replaced the rear shocks and it did not solve.

I am thinking at this point the only things it could possibly be are the rear axle bearings or maybe the front shocks but I have no idea how to test the former.

Thanks
Since you mention the clicking/popping sound from the rear when you are turning, it may be your van has a limited-slip differential that is acting up, possibly due to wrong gear oil. When you turn a corner the 2 back wheels turn at different speeds, and a limited-slip differential will tend to grab and release if it doesn’t have the proper lube. My factory service manual says 4 ounces of Mopar Additive Friction Modifier should be added to the gear lube in these axles.
How to determine if it’s limited slip? In Neutral, with front wheels blocked to prevent rolling, lift one back wheel off the ground and try to rotate it. If it rotates, it’s not limited slip. If not, it’s trying to rotate the other wheel through the limited slip. Good luck with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in agreement with all of the things mentioned except u-joints. They tend to vibrate
or make noise in forward or reverse, but not normally when turning. My first thing would
be to pull the cover off the rear end and look for small metal chunks or a metal flakes
in the lube and differential. With the cover off and both wheels off the ground turn a wheel
and look grooves in the teeth or chips missing. Be sure to look at the spider gears also..

Good Luck, Daddyododge1

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks
Sounds like the wheel stop may be broken or worn out. When you turn the wheel may be rubbing the frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update::

Changed rear diff fluid no visible things wrong with it / metal to be seen.
Spun rear wheels they turned fine couldn't hear any bearing noise.

I am very confused. Maybe it is something in the front but what would cause that knock in the back??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts