Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from anyone that has the Mygig system (RER, REN) factory
installed in their trucks. On a lot of other forums, F-150 Online especially,
they are all saying that the screen is way too small for a truck. Like it
should be way bigger. Does anyone have any input on this? I'd like to find
out what you all think before I go ahead and get mine. (My wife keeps
telling me to just go and buy the truck, what am I waiting for)
Anyway, what do you guys think?
Dave

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
The RER screen is the same size that most aftermarket systems are. It's plenty big. What are you worrying about being to small? I think it is a 7" screen

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
126 Posts
I'm with the wife....

·
you might be wrong
480 Posts
Me too, love mine, same size if not bigger than "most" aftermarket... dont listen to the Ford guys, they have that truck and not a Ram for a reason!!

·
Mojo 2
416 Posts
Listen to the wife........

I wouldn't sit down with the family and have a bowl of popcorn, but the screen is plenty big for what it is.......a radio/navigation system (if equipped)/dvd player/hard drive/bluetooth device. I'm sure there's more there somewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchased a MYGIG for my 09 brand new for $850 on ebay. The display is pretty nice with touch screen functions. Plus if you're using the NAV function, it also displays the directions or where to turn in the EVIC display by the speedometer and tach. The microphone is $40 and easy to install also. I really like it so far. I'm just waiting for the rear view camera to become available.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you mean available to order just as a separate part?

I do know that if you're ordering a new truck it now shows up as an available option. I also know there are trucks arriving on dealer lots with them now.

The only reason I ordered a truck vs buying from a dealer lot was because of the camera. I almost bought a Laramie from a dealer last weekend but they told me they couldn't add the camera. I'm sure it can be done but not easily. I searched the jeep forums...some of those guys have added cameras but it was a major undertaking.

Doug

·
Registered
108 Posts
Listen to the wife........

I wouldn't sit down with the family and have a bowl of popcorn, but the screen is plenty big for what it is.......a radio/navigation system (if equipped)/dvd player/hard drive/bluetooth device. I'm sure there's more there somewhere.
So can you play a DVD movie and have it display on the NAV screen? I know you can't do it while your moving (unless you have it hacked) but I was wondering if it was possible while stationary.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not worried about it, I think it's fine,
and wouldn't stop me from buying the truck. I have done so much
research on this truck and I am now just seeing what you guys
have to say. I am going to get one as long as I can find one with
the options I really want. Most of the Ford guys are brand loyal, but
not all of them. I love my F150, but I'm not brand loyal, and I really
think the 2009 F150 is FUGLY. It may be a good truck, but I think
and believe the new Ram beats it in every way except towing capacity.
I don't plan on doing any towing, so it's a no-brainer. I want to have
a truck I can be proud to own and the new Ram fits the bill to a tee.

Dave

·
Mojo 2
416 Posts
dlyle......plays dvd (sounds like a movie theater.) Take it out of park and it blocks viewing on the screen. Easy fix with the Lockpick.

·
Mojo 2
416 Posts

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Dlyle....you will have to remove the radio to install the Lockpick. Check out Helevita's instructions. He took some great pics to get an idea what it will take to open up a center console:

http://picasaweb.google.com/helevitia/IpodIntegrationInstallFor2009DodgeRamWithRERAndCenterConsole#

Finally got my Lockpick and Ipod cable yesterday. Now just waiting for the time to do the install. Hopefully this weekend.
Hi jvcougar,

Please let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how the lockpick and the ipod cable are going to work together. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi jvcougar,

Please let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how the lockpick and the ipod cable are going to work together. Thanks!
Me Too, Me Too!!

I'm trying to decide between the Lockpick and the Allgig with the iPod cable. Please let us know how the install goes and where you find room for the unit.

Cliff

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Me Too, Me Too!!

I'm trying to decide between the Lockpick and the Allgig with the iPod cable. Please let us know how the install goes and where you find room for the unit.

Cliff
FYI, there is a ton of room behind the instrument panel. You will have no problems putting many things there. I am actually considering putting a mac mini.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Me Too, Me Too!!

Cliff
Allgig??? Could you or someone else elaborate on this. I've heard of and seen the lockpick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow! I just looked at Helevitia's instructions on adding the Ipod cable. Very impressive. Thanks for helping take some of the fear out of doing a mod like this. Is the Lockpick installation similar?

Doug

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.