DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck is slow. My dads silverado ext cab with a 350 vortec will kick my butt. I want to do enough to make my truck kick that trucks butt. I also want it to be able to beat the new silverado 4 door with the V8. What will it take to achieve that? (Cheapest and easiest way)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Performance computer, Headers are a good start with your current mods

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what performance computer and headers do you recommend me to get? And where Can I get those?
Thanks for the help

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
FYI101 said:
...Headers are a good start...
Try to get the short tube type headers to maintain ground clearance. :cool:

·
Ty
74 Posts
Just a thought.. You said "cheapest", but cheap and headers seems to be a poor subject on these boards. Your money might be spent better on a different mod for the price you would pay for a cheap set of headers. How about the 1.7 rockers? Gears help too, but that is getting away from the cheap again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
get a 360 and even the score a 318 vs 350 is not fair to begin with.but a mopar performance controller,good exhaust and cai should help but if he does the same you are back to square one

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Good exhaust (from headers out), bored TB, and gears.

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have to worry about him doing the same.. I would get a 360 but..thats talking some big bucks.

I am thinking about

Cold Air intake
Fastman Throttle Body
Headers
Flowmaster 40 series
and mopar performance controller

Would that make a noticeable difference?

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is mopar pcm and mopar performance controller the same thing??

I dont know much about all of this stuff.

What exactly are headers?

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
yea, a performance computer would def. help you out a lot, cold air intake is a must b/c the magnum motor has a restrictive intake system, headers replace the exhaust manifolds on your heads to help scavenge the gases and create velocity in the exhaust system so the gases escape quicker, shorty headers will get you more torque on the bottom end (lower rpms)but not much on the top end(high revs), the 1.7 ratio rockers will also give you a nice power increase across the entire power band, moving the IAT sensor to the intake tube will help you off the line a little too

dont underestimate the 318, it just needs a lil TLC

·
Registered
842 Posts
You don't need the whole 360, just need the heads. More air in is more power. Headers are a must and look for a used rear that has the 3.92 ratio in it.

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok What headers do you recommend? I am getting Flowmasters 40 series pipes... And would I get the headers and get them put on at the same time as the pipes?? Does flowmaster make headers? Which one is good. I have heard that the cheap ones are crap and I dont wanna get the cheap ones if I cant tell a difference.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
Edelbrock TES headers are awesome. to bad for me they dont make them for the 2000 year.

I would go to the fastman for a 50mm Throttle body.

The mopar PCM you need to run 91 or 93 octane gas. I would get a hypertech or superchips programmer, you can set it to high or low octane gas and still get great gains. Put in a 180 degree T-stat though when you do this. It is recommended.

You can get an ebay intake for $50 which does the job just fine. I did that and the Fastman TB at the same time and it rocks.

Replace your plugs with autolite 3923's (not the platium plugs just the regular ones. They are a cooler plug than the stock ones). Bigger wires. like 8.2 or 8.5 mm. A cap and rotor with brass connectors.

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? gears for a 2wd wouldn't be to costly. I'd get 4.10's. if you have a 4wd, it is gonna cost an arm and a leg for the install. This will give you a smokin start off the line. you have 3.55 gears now.

1.7 rockers are a good choice to. They add power throughout the powerband. I'm about to get mine installed once I fix one other problem.

OH and another thing LOOSE the toolbox if you want to be faster. Remember FAT pigs run slower than not so FAT pigs. And our trucks are some heavy FAT pigs.

My cousin has an 04 silverado extended cab with the 5.3L and it is a slow little monkey. I can beat his butt everytime. All you have to do is do some torque mods and you are all set.

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one of my friends at school has a 5.3L 4 door chevy and he thinks his truck is the shit...I cant wait to beat his butt.. Thanks for the detailed post RedTank.

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I am gonna lose the toolbox and bed rails and get a ARE Fiberglass Bedcover. I have some questions first.

(1)
Where would I get the 4.10 gears at? Can a regular mechanic put them on? My uncle is a mechanic so I can get alot of stuff done without a labor charge.

(2)
For the Edelbrock TES headers, hypertech or superchips programmer, 180 degree T-stat, 1.7 rockers where do you recommend me to get those?

(3)
Should save up the money and put all of the mods on at the same time? or Should I just do one mod at the time? I aint gonna tell any of my friends I am modding my truck so they wont be scared to run them ..lol

How much do you think I am looking at for all of the following?

Edelbrock TES headers
fastman 50mm Throttle body.
hypertech or superchips programmer
180 degree T-stat
Ebay Cold Air Intake
autolite 3923's plugs
4.10 gears
1.7 rockers

Remember I get free install done by my uncle. So no labor charges!

I appreciate all the help and advise you guys are giving me.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
BLACK1999Ram said:
Yea, I am gonna lose the toolbox and bed rails and get a ARE Fiberglass Bedcover. I have some questions first.

(1)
Where would I get the 4.10 gears at? Can a regular mechanic put them on? My uncle is a mechanic so I can get alot of stuff done without a labor charge.

(2)
For the Edelbrock TES headers, hypertech or superchips programmer, 180 degree T-stat, 1.7 rockers where do you recommend me to get those?

(3)
Should save up the money and put all of the mods on at the same time? or Should I just do one mod at the time? I aint gonna tell any of my friends I am modding my truck so they wont be scared to run them ..lol

How much do you think I am looking at for all of the following?

Edelbrock TES headers
fastman 50mm Throttle body.
hypertech or superchips programmer
180 degree T-stat
Ebay Cold Air Intake
autolite 3923's plugs
4.10 gears
1.7 rockers

Remember I get free install done by my uncle. So no labor charges!

I appreciate all the help and advise you guys are giving me.

1) I'm not sure about the gears, but make sure it is a reputable place.
2) I'll list in a minute
3) if you want to blow their mind, then wait, but if you have a problem with one mod you wont know what it is. It's more fun to do one thing at a time and see waht kind of response you get out of your truck. Just do it one at a time and keep your mouth shut. haha

Edelbrock TES headers (summitracing.com, part#EDL-66012) $479.95

fastman 50mm Throttle body. (fastman.com check the Active special buy seciont in dodgetalk) $219.95 + $80 returnable core deposit

hypertech or superchips programmer $300+ look around for prices

180 degree T-stat $10 or something like that. Cheapo mod

Ebay Cold Air Intake $50 ebay. there are other ones that are $200 but your choice on waht you wanna go with

autolite 3923's plugs (autozone or somewhere) $10

4.10 gears (Not sure, someone else will surely respond though)

1.7 rockers (either Comp Cam aluminums or Harlen Sharp's. I got mine at KRCperformance.com. They come with teh guidplates and the studs. You have to get the hardened pushrods and higher valve covers though. I spend about $650 on parts. I heard the Harlen Sharps are great and they fit under the stock vavle covers.)

·
Ty
74 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the diference is between the AR3923 (Autolite Racing) and the 3923's that folks talk about here? I couldn't find anything other than the AR3923. They were $4+ each, not $10 for all 8.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I would do them in a certain order though.

Gears can go in anytime...

1) programmer + 180 t-stat
2) exhaust (personally i would go with a magnaflow highflo CAT + Magnaflow muffler w/ either single 3" out or dual 2.5" out and the TES headers. That should replace all the stock exhaust system) At this point the truck will sound like one MEAN F#$KER
3) Cool Air Intake + Trottle Body at the same time
4) Ignition (plugs, wires, brass cap/rotor) Maybe an MSD 6a ignition system if you are feeling spendy
5) Roller rockers

I would do the entire exhaust system at one time caue it would save cost on labor doing it that way.

Seriously though if your buddy's silverado is stock or just has an exhaust. All those mods will pretty much make him poop his panties.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
the 350 vortec's are fast, they have good low end torque and a smooth powerband, the 5.2 and 5.9 V8's have great low end torque, and thats about it. The 5.3L v8 is even faster. I've seen supercharged 5.9's lose to a stock 5.3, its sad but DC has been using pretty much the same engine design for 20 (plus?) years and have just finally began to design new truck engines (4.7, 5.7)

My 5.9 has intake and exhaust on 35's with 4.56's the thing has some major grunt off the line but once im out of 1st gear (2nd almost has the same power as 1st after i sintalled 4.56's) the thing dogs

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.