DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Jacob
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the 40 amp relay a couple weeks ago after my fan would run randomly assuming it was not strong enough so I got a 70 amp relay. Now it's doing the same sporadic running and the relay is making a weird noise. If I grab the relay and push on it or wiggle it, the fan will run. I'm thinking ground issue, or my controller is messed up.. Opinions?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I have the DCC controller on my truck and they are made just for the 2-speed Ford e-fans. And of all the e-fan controllers that I've used the past 25-years, these controllers are stupid simple to wire.

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

:) :tup:

·
Jacob
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love that... but I hate to throw another $100 at this project. I could have just bought a black magic if I get that controller. If anything I'll just go back to stock, or try a less powerful fan. I have a feeling we would be fine without a 500hp fan but everyone wants the most powerful

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would love that... but I hate to throw another $100 at this project. I could have just bought a black magic if I get that controller. If anything I'll just go back to stock, or try a less powerful fan. I have a feeling we would be fine without a 500hp fan but everyone wants the most powerful
Another alternative is to run the junk yard Volvo relay and BMW sensor like in the write up below. I have ran this set up for two hot Arizona summers with 0
Problems . Cheap and reliable so far.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I have the cheapest crap controller and relay from AutoZone and my fan has been on for 3 years now. The motor is just starting to go now, it will cut out and if I tap the back of the motor it will kick on. I sprayed some WD40 on it and its been ok for a few weeks now. Im not sure how you wired it, but mine is a pretty simple and ugly set up, I didn't hide any wires or anything. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,325 Posts
I hear you there. I was thinking the same thing, as I had bought 2 60-amp relays from Radio Shack to run 2 2000 CFM fans, along with a temp relay kicking the relays to start the fans. A hail storm damaged a fan (they were front mounted), so I discovered when I put in the Taurus Efan may wiring setup wouldn't really work...so I ordered one of the DC Control units. Just got it yesterday.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I hear you there. I was thinking the same thing, as I had bought 2 60-amp relays from Radio Shack to run 2 2000 CFM fans, along with a temp relay kicking the relays to start the fans. A hail storm damaged a fan (they were front mounted), so I discovered when I put in the Taurus Efan may wiring setup wouldn't really work...so I ordered one of the DC Control units. Just got it yesterday.
:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
How long did it take to get your controller? I have heard bad things about the lead time on those.

Hemi swapped 2005 Dakota

·
2,325 Posts
I had to dig up my PayPal account...I ordered it late on May 17th. Yesterday was July 27, so that's 10 weeks. I did call about 3 weeks after I ordered, 'cuz I hadn't see it yet, and he told me 6 weeks was the typical timeline. So, we're obviously past that...but I don't mind too much. It is a quality looking piece, and does include a temp sensor. I wasn't sure until it showed up... He did offer to refund my money when I called, but I didn't want to go search for another controller, so I stuck with it. I'll try to get it installed this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had to dig up my PayPal account...I ordered it late on May 17th. Yesterday was July 27, so that's 10 weeks. I did call about 3 weeks after I ordered, 'cuz I hadn't see it yet, and he told me 6 weeks was the typical timeline. So, we're obviously past that...but I don't mind too much. It is a quality looking piece, and does include a temp sensor. I wasn't sure until it showed up... He did offer to refund my money when I called, but I didn't want to go search for another controller, so I stuck with it. I'll try to get it installed this week.
Thanks for the quick reply, as long as you get it is what matters I guess. My damn clutch fan won't keep mine cool, holds it at 180 (my tstat temp) for about 15 minutes, but then everything heatsoaks and it starts to rise until my clutch fan is engaged enough to pull it down to around 200 to 210. It won't overheat, but having so much drag from the fan being engaged so much is annoying.

I'm looking into the Hollister setup now..

Hemi swapped 2005 Dakota

·
2,325 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, as long as you get it is what matters I guess. My damn clutch fan won't keep mine cool, holds it at 180 (my tstat temp) for about 15 minutes, but then everything heatsoaks and it starts to rise until my clutch fan is engaged enough to pull it down to around 200 to 210. It won't overheat, but having so much drag from the fan being engaged so much is annoying.

I'm looking into the Hollister setup now..

Hemi swapped 2005 Dakota
I don't remember having that trouble when I was in Utah. Except when climbing a longgggggg hill towing the wife's car... I put in an Efan out there, but it only pulled about 2000 cfm, which I learned is NOT enough for a 4.7L. But, I didn't sit in city traffic at stoplights very much. With the thin air up there, I can see an issue if you get stuck in traffic.

It's hitting 100 here this week, what a drag. I may get to the controller this week, or maybe on Saturday morning.

I did find a site with a thread about the DC Controller I got, the 2sp. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?7729-Review-of-Delta-Current-Control%92s-Taurus-Fan-Controller/page2 A couple folks were poo-pooing him, but it like they were doing things wrong.

[edit] @ umscAv8r, good to hear they replaced the part...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't remember having that trouble when I was in Utah. Except when climbing a longgggggg hill towing the wife's car... I put in an Efan out there, but it only pulled about 2000 cfm, which I learned is NOT enough for a 4.7L. But, I didn't sit in city traffic at stoplights very much. With the thin air up there, I can see an issue if you get stuck in traffic.

It's hitting 100 here this week, what a drag. I may get to the controller this week, or maybe on Saturday morning.

I did find a site with a thread about the DC Controller I got, the 2sp. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?7729-Review-of-Delta-Current-Control%92s-Taurus-Fan-Controller/page2 A couple folks were poo-pooing him, but it like they were doing things wrong.

[edit] @ umscAv8r, good to hear they replaced the part...
This is turning out to be out hottest year in recorded history. For now its the hottest in 62 years. Consecutive 105+ weeks with peaks of 108 that I have seen.
Good time to get a cooling system working well, cause if I can make it handle this, it will handle anything.

Hemi swapped 2005 Dakota

·
Registered
806 Posts
yeah thinking of dumping my efan its been good but lately have had problems today took it to the muffler shop to have him finish up a few things so he left it running to find the exhaust leak he missed and next thing I know its over heating. the controller was working but not right it would cut on and off but not right it was running hot and it still cut off had to put the a.c. connection back on so it would cut on with the ac so put my clutch fan back in the truck just incase I might go ahead and put it back on. my commute is to far to have to worry about it

·
Mopar Enthusiast
335 Posts
I got a controller from Autozone on my efan. It seemed to be doing pretty good once I got the temp set. Other than my headlights slightly dimming at night once its engaged. NBD. But since I had to replace my battery, whenever it kicks on the battery voltage drops from the middle to like the 1/4 position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the el cheap O controller from AZ as well and it has worked fine for me for years. Keep in mind that the shorter your wiring is the less likely your going to have issues.

P.S. My Taurus some how got stuck tonite and blew the 30A fuse and now it makes a noise Bhaaa I think the bearings are going. Good thing I only have to drive 6 hours tomorrow through ATL rush hour traffic twice in the 90 deg heat :ugh

·
Registered
806 Posts
I now keep my clutch fan in the truck just in case I have a issue

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
redo and replace the wiring...whenever my fan acts up I replace the wiring, it happens every 2-3 years...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
when this first started to happen to me i thought it was the controller or the fan...replaced wiring and it was all good..

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.