DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting several PM's about my hood. So, figured I'd post up some pictures and go into a bit of detail.

1st off, let me say that I only came up with the design, I did not do the fab work. The shop that did it, did such a horrible job, and f'd up my paint. Needless to say, they went bankrupt.

Anyway, on to the pix.

The underside of the hood is reinforced with a frame made of round bar.

The frame is then attached to the by four flat brackets, each with two bolts.

The frame and the flat brackets are welded together.

Then, both the left and right side of the round bar frame come into the engine compartment, and is secured into blace with a bolt.

The mid-part of the round bar (both left and right hand side) are connected to a cantaliver system, and are held in place by a bolt. The other end is bolted into the body, on either side of the radiator.

To prop the hood, I simply have a piece of scrap under the round bar bolts, chocking them.

Like I said, I am not happy with the overall appreance of the fabrication and welds. I am planning on having it all redone over the winter, by a well known fabrication shop, powder coated, and acutaed.

I am also trying to figure out how to secure the grille in place, seperate it, reinforce it, and use that as the actuation point for the hood.

Let me also add, that prefab kits made by Autoloc, unless you do some serious modification, and fabrication, will not work. The reason being is that on our trucks, the grille is attached to the hood, and the grille is made from plastic, and can't support the weight of the hood.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
Regardlesss of how it looks behind the scenes, your truck is still amazing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Still an awesome truck! Once the hood gets done, be sure to re-post the pics.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meh, it's not all that. Little crap needs to be done on it to get it to the level I want it to be at. but none the less, thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you took after this guy I saw a few months ago. I think you can get the sunroof at Pep Boys on sale! :)

Funny you posted that. My origional plan was to mold the fenders to the hood, and like a big rig, have the whole front end acuate forward. However, after doing some measuring, figuring, and a lot of beer...figured it would be more of a pain then anything.

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
Funny you posted that. My origional plan was to mold the fenders to the hood, and like a big rig, have the whole front end acuate forward. However, after doing some measuring, figuring, and a lot of beer...figured it would be more of a pain then anything.
that would have been a HUGE pain - but it would be badass.

You would probably have to cut the fenders in half for it to really work........

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
It's like discovering a girl has falsies- they still look good and you really don't care either way!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would have been a HUGE pain - but it would be badass.

You would probably have to cut the fenders in half for it to really work........
Yeah...Had I gone that route, I was thinking the fiber glass fenders, which would be lighter, and easier to work with.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
I was thinking of how it would fit around the doors, etc. A 45 degree cut from the windshield down to the middle of the wheel arch would be my thought. Something like that.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking of how it would fit around the doors, etc. A 45 degree cut from the windshield down to the middle of the wheel arch would be my thought. Something like that.....
I had it measured out...it was like just over a 45 to make it function the way I wanted it....something like that.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Nice!

·
Charlie
666 Posts
I would love that! man I wish I had some money.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
There's a guy on Hemi Truck Club with his hood like that. I can't recall what he did to fab it up. But it is a cool mod. As you said, the shop kinda did a hack job on yours. Hopefully your happy with the new shops work, you have a sweet ass truck.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Looks good...

The guy at HTC is Phill, he is from ohio, Checked it out in person, it wasnt too bad, but it needed fixed up...

Rocky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.