DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine (318, auto) was pinging and I finally got organized enough to pull the intake and fix the plenum. I ordered the Hughes kit and based on this thread about modified keggers and elk hunting I decided to cut up the intake.

I found my missing oil:

I ended up cutting out most of the divider and cut 1.5" off the runner with a recipricating saw:

While I was at it I put in a 180* thermostat, Autolite 3923 plugs, new cap, rotor, and new rerouted wires.

I use the truck mostly for towing so I did a little road trip with my trailer and there's definately a nice performance boost. Vacuum downshifting worked again and I wasn't downshifting on every little hill.

I still had the death flash to deal with so I added a Superchips MaxTuner before my hunting trip. Much better. There's a couple of big hills (10% grade) that are a good place to check the power. I picked up an entire gear on hill climbs. Before I went up in 1st at 30mph (3,000rpm) and now it's 2nd gear at 50mph. The gear change between 1st and 2nd is pretty large (2.45 to 1.45) so I definately picked up a few ponies. Now I can get a bigger trailer. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Looks like my intake with that oil when I did mine. How badly blown was your original plenum gasket? From the looks of it, you had a nice couple inches of gasket missing on that corner spot, almost exactly the same spot mine was gone. Was your old plate discolored from the heat on that spot?

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was blown out between 2 bolts but otherwise looked ok. I think any discolouring comes from oil and blowby gases.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I meant the discoloring on the actualy blown spot where the gasket is missing from the edge of the pan cover. It looks like someone put a blow torch to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.