DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I installed my suspension lift this weekend.I thought I would make a post about how it went in case anybody else was wandering about the lift kit.

First off,let me say it is a sturdy lift.All the brackets are heavy duty and everything lined up perfectly.I haven't had a chance to check the ride quality yet,because my caster/camber is way off,and I'm getting an alignment tomorrow or Wednsday.

It says 4-6 hour install--NOT!It took me twelve hours to install the whole kit by myself in my garage with pretty basic tools and an electric impact.The differential bolts are a pain to get at, and the factory loctite doesn't help it come apart any easier.

The only thing I had to cut were my factory shocks,because the nuts were completely froze up on the top mounts,but no big deal with a grinder and cut off wheel.

My truck has the 4.7, and the exhaust clears the front driveshaft by about 1/4",but I think I'll eventually have it lengthened a fuzz to give a little more clearance.It says in the instructions the Hemi pipe will need to be modified.

I would also suggest having a buddy give you a hand,especially installing the new knuckles.These babies must weigh 100 lbs. with all the stuff mounted on them,and it can be a pain getting the ball joints and c.v. shaft all lined up by yourself.

I have it set about 4 1/2" and the c.v. angles look pretty decent.
Next step is some 17X9 1079 Pro Comp's and some 35 MTZ's.

Hope this helps someone out!

·
Registered
640 Posts
man that sounds awesome. definitely get some big 'ol tires and take some pics to show it off.

i've got the means and money for a body lift and shocks right now, but my tires are too small and would look funny on the lifted truck. the wife is kinda stingy with the money because of the baby coming this christmas. anyone know how much i could sell my first born for, so i can lift my truck? :)

btw, i'm just kidding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another side note:It seems nobody close to my house can do an alignment with 20" wheels,and it's enough out of whack to not want to drive it very far.Luckily a buddy of mine has 17's that we are going to swap out so I can get the alignment done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the alignment done yesterday and to tell you the truth,the ride quality is just like stock.My old truck was a 2000 4x4 with a rough country suspension lift and that thing bounced all over the place.This thing rides and handles as good as it did before.The wife doesn't even complain!
I'm getting my exhaust lengthened tonight to give the driveshaft a little more room,and I ordered my MTZ's and Pro Comp 1079's today,so hopefully next week I'll be completely done and put some pics up.

Hopefully some of this info will come in handy for someone thinking about taking a project like this on and let them know what to expect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its great to see this thread! I'll be installing the 3in spindle lift with 2.5in spacers (since they discontinues the damned 6in lift!) and I'm sure this thread will come in plenty handy!! Any more suggestions and tips/tricks will be appreciated 'cause this thread is definantly going to be saved onto my harddrive. Thanks livetohunt!!

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CowboyKyle,I actually already sold my 20's and still have my buddies 17's on.I did have about 1" of clearance with the 20's on.I doubt they would have ever hit.I bought my lift from Top Gun Customz and they have a picture of a truck on there with factory 20's and I believe 36" Iroks.I don't think you should have a problem.

khemix,sounds like your lifting a 2WD.Hope some of this transfers over and helps you out a little.I know it would have been nice too read something like this before I did mine because the instructions are never perfect and I wasn't sure what to expect.

·
Banned
506 Posts
livetohunt2 said:
CowboyKyle,I actually already sold my 20's and still have my buddies 17's on.I did have about 1" of clearance with the 20's on.I doubt they would have ever hit.I bought my lift from Top Gun Customz and they have a picture of a truck on there with factory 20's and I believe 36" Iroks.I don't think you should have a problem.

khemix,sounds like your lifting a 2WD.Hope some of this transfers over and helps you out a little.I know it would have been nice too read something like this before I did mine because the instructions are never perfect and I wasn't sure what to expect.
I'm actually more intrested in the fitment of the 17's. I dont have 20's, i traded mine off long ago, lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gotcha,I actually have more clearance with 17's than I did with the 20's.

I got 17" wheels and tires for almost what it would cost just for 35" tires for the stock 20's.I don't blame you for getting rid of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CK,I measured the clearance of the 17's last night after work and it's not as much as I thought it was.The knuckle is about 1 1/2" from the wheel,but only about 1" from the tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
still waiting on those pics man..ive decided on this lift and id really like to see the outcome. Also, did you upgrade with the fox shocks? If not hows the ride with the new rubbers?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't upgrade to the Fox shocks.I spent all my greenbacks on the lift,alignment, and tires and wheels.I didn't get my new meats yet,I ordered them last Wednsday,so I'm expecting them today or tommorrow.I should have pics up by the beginning of next week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Put my tires and wheels on yesterday.It looks pretty good,I'm crappy at taking pics so they don't really do it justice.

The 35's do rub a little somewhere at full lock, I just haven't had a chance to really see where yet.I think it's just the lower plastic valence.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.