DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, had the rig levelled today by the dealership. I do not call this dealership a stealership, simply because they :rck: Here's the recipe: take one ass end, subtract a leaf, add leaf clamps, ignore torsion bars, and voila, she's perfectly level. Oh, and they took the extra step of re-aiming the headlights and the foglights, something I forgot to ask them to do. All for a hundred bucks, including parts.

Pay particular attention to pics three and four - the fourth pic is a before shot to give some perspective. Hope everyone likes the end result, and if someone doesn't, be honest - I have thick skin.

Next, new wheels and tires - they're in my basement, but they shipped the wrong size lugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Looks good!

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I don't really like the butt up approach...but somebody told me that is allowed the truck to haul more.

Is that true?

I also think DC did it to allow the front truck bumper to come in contact with a car's bumper in case of a collision.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
great look, only thing is I've heard numerous qualms about spring clamps opposed to shackles

talk to Slammed 1, he can get you some shackles and you can toss the spring clamps if you want to, I hear the shackles ride much better and the clamps make the truck handle differently and ride stiffer

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
I don't really like the butt up approach...but somebody told me that is allowed the truck to haul more.

Is that true?

"YES"

Nice looking rig. Keep in mind your towing capacity has gone down.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy with the look, but I do notice the ride bottoms way quicker when going over a speed bump. But I don't go off road, don't and won't be doing major towing or hauling, so it might be something I can live with.

Then again, I have this feeling that I'm gonna be calling Brian. :)

Butt (so to speak) what a diff in the look!!!!

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Heres Mine... used 4 spring clamps ($21.60 total)... 20 minutes under the truck... it drives firm...like a sports car...I Love it!!! corners on rails!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Looks good! I will definatly be doing this to mine, but I'll probably get the shackles.

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
05_Hemi, i'm surprised the dealer did the work. My dealer told me they wouldn't touch my suspension, due to liability issues.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
......yur kiddin right?...you've heard that term before...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Truck looks good! I had clamps on mine, worked great to get rid of wheel hop on the street, but at the track, I couldn't hook up w/ them on. Also rode like crap, very bouncy. Prolly doesn't help I have the stiff-a$$ beltech drop leafs. ;)

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
lowering a 4x4 just seems like going the wrong direction, but to each his own. I'm level and clearing 34s easy. The extra ground clearance gets me wherever I want to go without any concern. But like I said, to each his own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Truck looks great, I have the same sb reg cab black. I'd like to go the other way though and up the front to level with the rear.
Great job :)

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
chefred112 said:
......yur kiddin right?...you've heard that term before...

our esteemed friend BLACKWOLF is of the drag race crowd, who view turning as the enemy, the straighter their vehicles go the better. one day they'll learn to turn that round thing by the drivers seat

to him turning is bad lol

sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
05_hemi said:
Okay, had the rig levelled today by the dealership. I do not call this dealership a stealership, simply because they :rck: Here's the recipe: take one ass end, subtract a leaf, add leaf clamps, ignore torsion bars, and voila, she's perfectly level. Oh, and they took the extra step of re-aiming the headlights and the foglights, something I forgot to ask them to do. All for a hundred bucks, including parts.

Pay particular attention to pics three and four - the fourth pic is a before shot to give some perspective. Hope everyone likes the end result, and if someone doesn't, be honest - I have thick skin.

Next, new wheels and tires - they're in my basement, but they shipped the wrong size lugs.
Very nicely done! That truck looks really good. :IDEA: I bet it would look even better debadged. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks Great! Which spring did you remove, the overload or middle?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chefred112 said:
Heres Mine... used 4 spring clamps ($21.60 total)... 20 minutes under the truck... it drives firm...like a sports car...I Love it!!! corners on rails!!!
Looks awesome! My guess is you were bummed after you crawled out from under and looked at your new lowered rig. I knew it needed to be done, but I had no idea how dramatic a diff it would make visually. :)
yellowbee said:
Looks good! I will definatly be doing this to mine, but I'll probably get the shackles.
I may eventually undo this and go the shackle route. I'm going to monitor the ride and see if I can handle it long term - speed bumps are a bitch. :D
Black05Hemi said:
05_Hemi, i'm surprised the dealer did the work. My dealer told me they wouldn't touch my suspension, due to liability issues.
This dealership is way :cool: . When I asked about it, they said they'd done a bunch of trucks - small country dealership that also sells farm equipment, so they can fix anything. The same mechanic who replaced the tranny after it blew also did the arse end job today and swears that his butt dyno says this is the fastest Hemi he's ever driven, and the only thing I've done is the Ravin.
GspySderT said:
Truck looks good! I had clamps on mine, worked great to get rid of wheel hop on the street, but at the track, I couldn't hook up w/ them on. Also rode like crap, very bouncy. Prolly doesn't help I have the stiff-a$$ beltech drop leafs. ;)
Actually this one rides great on normal roads. A major dip though, and she bottoms quickly. But my typical driving is street anyway, so no biggie. :)
drsoffroad said:
lowering a 4x4 just seems like going the wrong direction, but to each his own. I'm level and clearing 34s easy. The extra ground clearance gets me wherever I want to go without any concern. But like I said, to each his own.
My 4wd is just for winter traction. BTW, I love the look of lifted as well as slammed. With my lip kit, lower looks better, and since I wasn't gonna run big tires ever, to get rid of that wheel well space in the rear was necessary, so lower was also better in that regard.
casscarr2002 said:
Truck looks great, I have the same sb reg cab black. I'd like to go the other way though and up the front to level with the rear.
Great job :)
Thanks. I asked the dealership to do whatever they needed re raising the front and lowering the rear, and this is what they came up with, and no torsion bar crank. I'm very happy with the looks.
FreeLantz said:
Very nicely done! That truck looks really good. :IDEA: I bet it would look even better debadged. :D
Thanks. Trust me FreeLantz, the debadging and a RumbleBee style stripe are still on the table. But with a black sport truck, the only brightwork is the billet grills, wheels and the badges. The badges look kinda cool and I think the only way I'd debadge is in conjunction with shaving all handles and an aftermarket stepside bed, both denied by my line of credit. :D
LeeR said:
Looks Great! Which spring did you remove, the overload or middle?
I reccommended removing the overload based on what I'd read on DT but the dealership strongly reccommended against it and went with the middle. They say I won't have any problems, as the bed is more often hauling groceries than bricks :) .

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I don't know why every time someone starts a thread about leveling the ass end, some extreme 4x4, offroader, rockcrawler (usually a wannabe) has to come in and say something like "lowering a 4x4 just seems like going the wrong direction", yada- yada- yada, boo-hoo, boo-hoo.... :blah: :WHA:

Bottom line: If you don't like it, :IDEA: quietly exit the thread. You don't have to state YOUR opinion in each and every thread on this topic.

BTW, drsoffroad- I checked your gallery and your truck does look pretty cool!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yellowbee said:
I don't know why every time someone starts a thread about leveling the ass end, some extreme 4x4, offroader, rockcrawler
This is a street truck that happens also to be a 4x4. It doesn't bug me that the 4x4 purists think it's wrong to lower a 4x4 - different strokes/philosophies. But like I said, I like 'em lifted, slammed, and everything in between as long as it looks good and it's a Ram. My fake stick on scoop doesn't suck air either, but that didn't stop me from buying it.

I thank God that we can make choices. The alternative is that we would all potentially be members of YugoTalk.com. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.