·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the:

Spectre CAI
Jetstream scoop
Powerwire

I read up on these items in searches and they get mostly positive reviews. My goals were to get 1+ MPG in city driving, and a little bit more power for the rare occasion I want to use up a gallon of gas for a 3 second WOT romp :SPIN:

Really though, I baby the truck 99% of the time even though I have a sweet sounding exhaust on it. I bought the truck with the exhaust, and I couldn't find a manufacturer stamp on the muffler so I'm not sure what brand it is. The color of the muffler is the same color of a Flowmaster I purchased for my old truck.

So what should I expect? I'm uneasy about spending $250 on intake parts for the anemic 4.7L. I guess I have buyer's remorse already :bawl:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have all of that you will enjoy it. You should see at least 1 mpg.

4.7 is a good motor.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Nick's a great DT sponsor and there's few that know the 4.7L better.

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I recently bought the truck with 66k on the odo and a couple weeks later it developed a hesitation from a stop. MPG isn't near what people say they get with their trucks, so I'm doing a full tuneup on it. I won't be able to do an A/B on the intake upgrades alone. Here is what I'm doing:

- Seafoam in the top engine, crankcase, and fuel tank. I did this yesterday and once I need to refill the gas tank...
- ... Then NGK copper plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter, royal purple oils in the engine, tranny, and differential

...You should see at least 1 mpg...
I'm thinking with all of this combined (the above tuneup + the intake upgrades) I could see +3mpg in the city?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
possibly...i personally dont think that with a truck you shouldnt even think about fuel milage it just hurts when you do. I have all three things that you bought on my truck and i also have 66k on it. I havent done plugs yet though. I need to but havent got around to doing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm getting 10-10.7mpg in the city right now with a VERY light foot. I'm running 87 gas, and have figured out the 2k RPM acceleration deal from a stop to maximize fuel economy. I'm doing a lot of coasting down shallow grades, etc.

I really was hoping for 13-14MPG in the city in stock trim as the sticker says I should get, and what I've read people get on here. I know I bought a gas guzzler, but light footing it to get 10-10.7 MPG is crazy :YO:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
you might have something wrong then....ive never been worse than 13.7. i hand calculate every time i fill up. My norm is around 16. I run premium cause of superchips too.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
what rear gears do you have do you know? If you have 20s most like 3.92 if you have 17s most likly 3.55

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 20's and a Quad cab. I don't know how bad this is, but I took the oil filler cap off and there was a LOT of sludge in there. That can't be helping the situation any. Anyway, somewhere on here I read an MPG thread and guys with 20's were getting 12-14 MPG in the city IIRC. Is that about what I should get stock?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea that is what it looked like but more reddish oily than yellow, and lots more of it. Any ideas why I get a little over 10mpg?

·
Silverhemidan
3,277 Posts
Well I'm getting 10-10.7mpg in the city right now with a VERY light foot. I'm running 87 gas, and have figured out the 2k RPM acceleration deal from a stop to maximize fuel economy. I'm doing a lot of coasting down shallow grades, etc.

I really was hoping for 13-14MPG in the city in stock trim as the sticker says I should get, and what I've read people get on here. I know I bought a gas guzzler, but light footing it to get 10-10.7 MPG is crazy :YO:

Hell,thats what I get

Change them plugs..:tup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished with the tune-up

I finished with the tune-up, here is what I did:

- Seafoamed the engine through brake booster and crankcase.
- Went out for a very spirited drive, then filled up and put a full can of Seafoam in. Ran this tank down to about 1/4 of a tank.
- Changed the engine oil to Royal Purple with a NAPA Gold filter
- Installed NGK copper plugs
- Spectre CAI + Jetstream scoop + powerwire
- A new PCV valve
- Reset the computer
- Filled up with gas

The Spectre intake install was very aggravating. The instructions weren't as good as they could have been, parts didn't fit right out of the box, having to bend the tube bracket for the intake to "fit" was surprising, and other small things during the install which all added up to be frustrating. When it was said and done, the intake is on there and working but it is off about 1/4in to the left from the TB even after bending the bracket. Also the rubber coupler has constant stress on it, which has me wondering how long it will last. For the naysayers, I've done alot of work on my vehicles (heads / cam / headers / intakes / rear ends / shocks / etc), so I'm not new at doing things like this.

Well on the positive side it is finished, so I'm satisfied all of that is behind me now. I can tell the truck has more power and seems to run smoother as well. Before the tune-up my MPG on the last two fill-ups were 11.3 and 12.3, with both tanks having a couple of 55-60mph trips thrown in there. (My MPG just in the city driving 25mph was around 10-10.7 as I posted earlier.) I just filled up today so once I get to a half a tank I'll report back with my new, and hopefully improved, MPG.

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
I have a PW, Intake and scoop on my truck too (first 3 performance mods on the 4.7L) and I felt a power/mpg difference... both positive :rck:

Nick (AIRRAM) really knows his stuff and like what was said earlier, little know more than him about these 4.7L engines.

BTW Im in florida too and we have a group of guys that are starting to set up meet and greets around the central florida area and if you are in the orlando/tampa/daytona area or anywhere in FL and willing to meet up for a track day or car shows or whatnot, you should check us out and sign up and stay updated.

We have a couple members with an AIR_RAM intake and one that has a homemade AIR_RAM-type intake, so you know they are good :D

-David

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I finished with the tune-up, here is what I did:

- Seafoamed the engine through brake booster and crankcase.
- Went out for a very spirited drive, then filled up and put a full can of Seafoam in. Ran this tank down to about 1/4 of a tank.
- Changed the engine oil to Royal Purple with a NAPA Gold filter
- Installed NGK copper plugs
- Spectre CAI + Jetstream scoop + powerwire
- A new PCV valve
- Reset the computer
- Filled up with gas

The Spectre intake install was very aggravating. The instructions weren't as good as they could have been, parts didn't fit right out of the box, having to bend the tube bracket for the intake to "fit" was surprising, and other small things during the install which all added up to be frustrating. When it was said and done, the intake is on there and working but it is off about 1/4in to the left from the TB even after bending the bracket. Also the rubber coupler has constant stress on it, which has me wondering how long it will last. For the naysayers, I've done alot of work on my vehicles (heads / cam / headers / intakes / rear ends / shocks / etc), so I'm not new at doing things like this.

Well on the positive side it is finished, so I'm satisfied all of that is behind me now. I can tell the truck has more power and seems to run smoother as well. Before the tune-up my MPG on the last two fill-ups were 11.3 and 12.3, with both tanks having a couple of 55-60mph trips thrown in there. (My MPG just in the city driving 25mph was around 10-10.7 as I posted earlier.) I just filled up today so once I get to a half a tank I'll report back with my new, and hopefully improved, MPG.
We had a customer who had similar issues installing his intake and he went and purchased a 3" to 3" FERCO rubber coupler... that moved the intake up further and from what I understood allowed it to better line up with the mount. They are fairly cheap so if your still having issues with the intake alignment you may want to check those out. Its not common for the spectre intake to have alignment issues but there have been a few... also that intake was desinged to be used with a spacer... we dont suggest using any type of throttle body spacers and this can lead to alignment issues since you would be lossing a full ich. The FERNCO coupler is much longer then the supplied coupler... so it should easily make up for that lost 1" with the spacer delete.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think Nick is referring to me about the fernco coupler, and it did solve my problems with the intake. I believe when they changed the location of the mounting bracket it screwed up the alignment to the TB. I had to bend that bracket around and use a piece of pvc initially to get mine to match up, but after I got that big coupler at home depot everything worked out nicely. It ran about $7 and was well worth it to get rid of that coupler to pvc to coupler to TB setup.

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
I have both the intake and scoop from AirRam and at almost 130,000 miles, my 4.7 runs stronger and idles smoother than it did with the first 130.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
I have 20's and a Quad cab. I don't know how bad this is, but I took the oil filler cap off and there was a LOT of sludge in there. That can't be helping the situation any. Anyway, somewhere on here I read an MPG thread and guys with 20's were getting 12-14 MPG in the city IIRC. Is that about what I should get stock?
That is what I am getting, as long as it's not 85* in the summer. Then I run the a/c and I reinstall the clutch fan and mpg drops to a little over 10. Are you checking the overhead or computing by hand?
For a couple more ponies, lose the factory Ypipe and install a Flowmaster Y. 10hp and some more noise when you hit the loud pedal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.