DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I would like to thank everyone who participates in helping others solve their problems. If it weren't for you, I would have never attempted this U-Joint change on my own. Now on to the good stuff...

I am an extreme novice at auto repair, so I was skeptical on changing out the u-joints. The most I’ve ever done with a vehicle is oil changes. I have since done a transmission fluid change, rear diff change, and plugs, and now u-joints. I’m on my way.

I read about many people having similar problems, and the problem always seems to float around checking the u-joints. I purchased a boat a few months ago, and then started to notice a vibration and knocking under heavier acceleration. Once I would gain enough speed, the knocking would stop. It was not coming from the engine, more like the back end. I tried lubing everything back there, to no success. Finally after reading all this information here, I decided to put the truck on a jack and spin the tires. Once I did that, I immediately noticed, the rear u-joint was very loose.

Long story short, a $13 U-joint solved the problem. It was extremely easy to change. I chock it up to a 4 on a difficulty scale with 10 being the toughest. The driveshaft only weighs about 10-15lbs, so that was super easy to lower once disconnected from the rear. The hardest part was banging out the old caps and even that was easy.

I found some useful pictures at this website, it was very similar.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/U_joint/repair.htm

Anyway, I included a few after shots of what my bad u-joint looked like. You can see how the one side is nice and centered, while the other is wearing on the one side. There was a crack in one of the caps, and all of the needles were gone on 2 caps, and bone dry. The other two were ok. I'm sure in a short time, I would be sitting on the highway with the driveshaft on the ground.

Good Luck to all novices!

Attachments

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Nice diagnosis. Good job with pics too. If only I could figure out how to post pics

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice diagnosis. Good job with pics too. If only I could figure out how to post pics
Maybe a Chilton's for Dodgetalk.com manual is needed? heh..

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
hemi1569 said:
picture posting is easy here

1 you mest click on the quote tab or the reply tab doing a quick response will not allow you to.

when you click on one of the 2 tabs you will get a window box you can type in with smilies on the right side. you type whatever message you want then scroll down past that window and you will see a button that says manage attachements. click it then click browse with the window that comes up double click the picture on you puter you want and it will take you back to the browse screen you can add I think its 5 photos (must be downsized quality to work by the way) then click on the upload pictures. when uploaded you can click on submit reply under your first writing window its easier then it sounds I hope this helps you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.