DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the DynaTech Supermaxx long tube headers and the Borla Cat-Back exhaust system (Sport exhaust option) installed on my Magnum. (One note about web shopping.. Those TIPS are HUGE.. about the diameter of a Fosters Beer can - the big kind) I would have to agree, it sounds awesome, but I think I lost too much back-pressure...Seems a little sluggish now..

Speed shop said "check engine" light came on right after the install (we were at the race in Darlington). They reset the computer, and I have been sparingly driving it for about a week. Yesterday, while doing a grocery run cruise, it started gurgling, missing and at the traffic light it died. It started back up, but was running rough.. The check engine light came back on and now stays on.

I have an issue about "driving it like I stole it" since it makes some noise now.. :cool:

My speed shop warned me this might be an issue (in the past putting in Bosch O2 sensors cured the problem. Unfortunatly they dont make them yet for the Magnum). Dodge computers are notoriously cranky...

Anyone else encountered similar performance concerns?? Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan on getting some pics up shortly to show our progess, but for now, she is sitting in the garage and that inferno red has a green tint right now :banghead:

Don

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don,
I have the headers and the standard Borla, I never had the check engine light, and in checking with others that have had the same problem with the check engine light that have the same set up as mine, including the K&N Typhoon induction the difference is - I have the stage 2 Jetchip, it seems to fix the problem. I understand there is a sensor fix also, I've seen it on other forums. I do like the performance package I have now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don,

My Inferno Red RT's first 'Cherry' long haul trip was to the Darlington race from Woodbridge. Great ride, lots of looks and comments! Wish I had those DynaTechs on my sled. This was from another forum and may help.

Originally Posted by Adam
I spoke to Dynatech thurs. came to conclusion something wrong with 02 cable extension. Being impatient, decided to roll underneath sun. morning. Went thru all conections and realized that even though they feel like there snaped in they are NOT! Especially Passenger foward conector. The secret is you must take apart enough of the housing to get a solid snap, that assures all 4 pins are seated. Such a well built header system and have to play with stuff is ashame. All people with cel on give this a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome Idea!

Thanks GT! Never thought to climb under the car.. I promised some pics anyway so I guess I will crawl under there and verify all of the connections.. (really a no brainer), but after dropping as much $$$ as I did for the setup, I would have assumed "quality stuff".

Great Info!

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem almost solved...

Well,

After much nail biting and general nervousness about my performance mods and the ubiquituous Check engine light.. I bought the scanGauge tool.. I checked with my local Dodge dealer about coding my engine so I knew what was going on.. 85 BUCKS!! The scangauge cost 125 and I get to keep it!

Long story short, it appears that I got a bad tank of gas.. When I coded my engine today it had one code P0300, which through all of my research was a misfire/knock warning... The engine light went off today when I started it up (after buying the ScanGauge of course), and that was the only stored code.

Thanks to everyone (GT) for your help. In my research though I found a COOL Site, give some real skinny on the Hemi, MDS etc.. Very good read.
(I guess I cannot post a URL, so here it is phonetically :D

3w dot allpar dot com slash mopar slash new-mopar-hemi dot h-t-m-l

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the great read on the HEMI engine. One line disturbed me a little:

One problem with the Hemi is that a speed density system is used for measuring air into the engine rather than air mass, so that cold air packages and such can throw the system off.
What does this portend for my soon to be installed functional hood scoop?

Boston Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, makes you wonder if we shouldnt be doing other things to the system when changing the air intake system...

Interesting that I picked up on that same thing.. been reading the battle of the CAI systems here in the forums...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.