DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove the truck and it drove great, so I decided why not tear it up. For the last couple months I've been gathering all the pieces and parts needed for a heads and cam swap. With a lot of help from others and a lot of research, I think I've got just about everything I need. And now I have the time. I plan on taking my time and have the next two weeks off, so I'm in no rush.
Thanks to everyone that got me this far. Bob, Jerry, Denny, Matt, Chris, Sean, Gadier, Luke, Stu, Marty, too many to list.

I started to organize everything.

I don't have a lot of room in my garage so the first thing to go was the bumper. This provides a good view of my normally hidden windshield washer reservoir.

I pulled the intake out and disconnected the battery.

I pulled the wheels off and pulled the wheel well liners out.

I got a late start but at least it's a start. Next on the list is to clean up the garage again. By the way, I have no clue what I'm doing. I have backup on the way in the form of my Dad during the three day weekend.
All comments are welcome as I need a lot of encouragement and lots of help. Let me know as soon as you see something wrong.

·
TUNED??? its an 03!
1,287 Posts
looking good, keep the pics coming when you get going this weekend! :rck:

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
If you need any advice feel free to pm me

kevin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Which cam and heads did you go with?? And take lots and lots of detailed pics

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you need any advice feel free to pm me

kevin
Thanks Kevin, will do.

Which cam and heads did you go with?? And take lots and lots of detailed pics
SharaDon heads and 210x cam. I will update this thread probably every night.
My heads thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217862

thanks,now I need to paint my garage walls.......
My intention was to get a floor covering (poly not epoxy) but I wanted the walls done first. I added electrical and insulated them. The floor is next.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
To save a few back aches during R&R, pull your trans cooler and the radiator out. Wrap your PS cooler to protect the fins. You can then jump right into the engine compartment and mostly work standing up without laying over the radiator all day.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Also, be very careful with your heads. I see that you have them face down, but at least protected between your table with cloth. One very small scratch on the head surface, in the right direction, could cause a leak. Usually if I store my heads that way, I lay a couple wooden paint sticks down between the heads and table.

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To save a few back aches during R&R, pull your trans cooler and the radiator out. Wrap your PS cooler to protect the fins. You can then jump right into the engine compartment and mostly work standing up without laying over the radiator all day.
That's the plan for tomorrow. That and trying to find a way to hold the AC compressor out of the way.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
That's the plan for tomorrow. That and trying to find a way to hold the AC compressor out of the way.
Usually I use a strap to hold the AC compressor out of the way. I attach it from my hood to the compressor. After looking at the underside of your hood, sorry, your on your own.

·
Undercover ninja
287 Posts
This is what I came here for: A normal guy w/ no major mechanical background w/ the balls to tear into his truck not really knowing what to do.

I hope to be that guy soon. :D Best of luck bro!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
This is what I came here for: A normal guy w/ no major mechanical background w/ the balls to tear into his truck not really knowing what to do.

I hope to be that guy soon. :D Best of luck bro!
You bring up a very good point.... At the start of this thread, Kevin thanked all those involved. He didn't select just one vendor in suppling his modifications. He researched all his option's and made his own decessions based on his needs. Now it's time for all the members and vendors to help him out, which is great. Something this site hasn't seen in quite a while.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
that has be one of the cleanest grages that i have seen. mine has so much junk in it that its only good to hide the truck in there. and she bairly fits. my poor honda sits in the driveway. now if oyu need help im here for you. but you will have to do alittle diggin to get my number as i will not be near a computer this weekend. good luck though i know of several guys that can walk you through the cam install over the phone if needed.

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
good luck bro, looks like u have a good start pm 400rwhphemi he has a good cam install manual he did himself

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
good luck bro, looks like u have a good start pm 400rwhphemi he has a good cam install manual he did himself
yup he wrote it for his final paper in a class. probably the easiest A he ever received. He also has the easiest and fastest way to complete the install

Looking good man. how about if you lay a towel on top of the hood where the cutout where the shaker go through then juststrap a bunge cord up there and run it down to tie up to ac compressor. good thing you have an 05 and dont have to deal with that dam hose on the passenger side head.

another tip is to just unbolt your headers from the collectors and when you remove the head take the headers with them. then install the headers back on before you put the new heads back in. its also easier to do the work on the workbench.

yup just as jerry said. unbolt the trans cooler and remove the radiator and drain it. leave the tranny cooler hooked up and it will lay on its side on the passenge side. then remove the top crossmember that your hood latches to and you will be able to step in and out of the engine compartment and leave yourself a nice seat.

Good luck! im sure as always you will have a meticulusly detailed thread. Keep up the good work!

:gr_patrio

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
ya i forgot about that! i got a A- on that sucker.. lol

give me your email addy and i will shoot it over if i can find it in my email somewhere!

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun to me 360plus. :D Good luck with the installs. I can't wait to tear into mine one of these days(after the truck is paid off of course). :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
i will be keeping a close eye on this thread. it hits home with me. hopefully in the very near future i will be doing the same with out new heads but with adding headers. taking the heads off to do the springs and adding a new hellfire. best of luck

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
:popcorn:

nice garage n truck.

looking forward to the rest of the install n great camrea :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.