DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off work at about 2:00 AM Saturday morning when Rita was belting my area with tropical force winds and flooding. Going home I went through some places in the road where the water was up to my headlights, and this in a 2001 Ram! My question now is what should I check for as for as any possible damage or preventative maintenance after going through all of that water? I don't have an automatic tranny, just a 5-speed mated to a 3.9L. I checked it the next day, didn't find any water in the oil, or power steering but I want to make sure that everything is alright. Heck, I've been driving it since, and it's running just as good as ever. I gotta say though that it's a testament to the Dodge truck to go through the hell that that one went through and still got me home safe! :rck:
That was one scarey drive that I don't want to go through again for a loooong time! It wasn't just the water on the road and rain (blowing sideways!) it was also the winds rocking my Ram around. But, I gotta say it again, she went through it all and NEVER let up!

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
check the pumpkins. most likely the vent tube DID inhale some water.
mike

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
arnt these trucks great, im up in tyler tx from galveston, adn i had mine blown around pretty good. where you at

·
Registered
803 Posts
Me personally I would change all the fluids in it even afetr checking them. Just in case there is water at the bottom of the tanks and the dipstick is on top and doesn't register it. Power steering, oil, radiator fluid, transfer case, and the pumpkins. I had a chevy blazer that sat in water for 5 hours b/c it stalled and there was water eevrywhere. I changed all the fuilds and it was a perfect truck almost again. BUT if you don't have the money to change them or feel it is unessacary then make sure to check the radiator fluid and the pumpkins as msch2112 suggested. Good Luck and hopefully everything works out fine for you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I think it would be a good idea to change out my fluids, just to be safe. On the power steering, would it be enough to empty the power steering tank and refill? Also, I don't know what you guys mean by "pumpkins", what are they and where are they located? On my 5-speed tranny, isn't it sealed, or should I replace the fluid in it as well?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cmh2007, you sure are right! These are great trucks. The only way I'd get rid of mine would be to get another. How did ya'll make out with Rita? I hope all went well for you and your family.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im not sure but i believe that if there was water in anywhere it wouldnt settle at the bottom, it would settle at the top.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
SHOCKER_97' said:
Im not sure but i believe that if there was water in anywhere it wouldnt settle at the bottom, it would settle at the top.
Ok, basic chemistry, oil and water don't mix but water is heavier than oil (thats why oil slicks are on top of water). The front and rear differentials as well as the trans, t-case, and engine all have vents to allow the air to escape when the fluids heat up and expand. Otherwise the seals would pop and you would have leaks. Change the fluids as water will get in when fording water at headlight depth. Water is not a good lubricant and creates rust internally (not good for machined parts or bearings).
Best of luck to all that have suffered these past weeks funky weather. God speed and be safe... Chris

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
im in school at galveston texas a & m. so im there alone. i went to tyler for the storm but i believe that there is not too much damage from the storm, but thaks for the concern grey ghost

·
Registered
302 Posts
I guess i wont be passing chemistry anytime soon

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I change the fluid in my 5-speed tranny as well? I know that automatics have vent holes, but do 5-speeds use them also?
One more question. All of my Ram's life I've used synthetic oil with a K&N filter or Mobil 1 filter. However, because of funds at the time of change time, I've used dino oil for the past two or three changes. I now have 87K on my Ram and would it hurt to go back to the synthetic oil?
Thanks to all who have responded with their helpful advice. Ya'll have been a big help!

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
if you can, i would change all fluids.

i've done dino for a long long time. nothing wrong with it if you change regularly.

mike

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree also that if you can afford it change your tranny fluid also. I see nothing wrong with changing back when you get a chance. When I changed my RAM to Mobil 1 I noticed about 1-2 MPG increase and that is one reason I will keep using it. But if funds don't permit it then make sure to use soemthing and change it still to be safe with new oil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm no doubt going to change the fluids in the rear end and tranny as well as the engine. I got some cost from some of my local shops on changing the rear end/tranny. I was wondering how easy it is to change out the fluid in my 5-speed myself. Can it be done easy enough in my carport or would I be better off taking it somewhere with a rack? If it is a "do-it-yourselfer" what type of fluid should I use? I'd sure appreciate any and all instructions ya'll can send along. The rear end change out I was going to have done in a shop. But I'll change out the tranny fluid myself if it's not too difficult.

·
pakrat
18 Posts
The NVG 5 speed trans has an info plate on the passenger side of the gearbox that states you must use SYNTHETIC GL-4 gear oil. I know this because I had Quick lube change out mine and they put regular GL-4 into it and it wouldnt shift right. I didnt even get around the block before noticing the hard shifting. I took it back and they had to flush the gearbox and re-fill with mopar synthetic GL-4 gear oil at the tune of $20 per qt. Think it took 6qts I dont know if you have the NVG 3500 or 4500 but I would check the data plate on the side of the trans. gearbox.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a heap for letting me know about that pakrat, I'll be sure to watch for that. Is that an easy enough job for a carport mechanic like me to do myself? I'd sure appreciate any "how to" instructions from anybody on changing the fluid on a 5-speed manual. I did see that there were two plugs, bottom for draining & top for filling, and that they needed a hex head wrench to remove. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pumpkins was funny, water on to of oil was funny. lol Changing your fluids would be the best thing to do, but if there are no signs water in your engine oil(yellowish foam would be a good sign. I wouldn't change it. As for down grading your oil. That's all good but don't down grade your filter. CHEAP IS CHEAP and I don't think your truck is.
I don't think there would be water in the pumpkins. Going through water is deceiving. Was it up to your head lights standing still or moving? In my 94 dakota 4x4 I've been in water standing still past my head lights and never had water inside the truck or in any oil holding part in the truck. The only sure way to know is to change it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.