DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have only ever subscribed to other posts on this section of dodgetalk and finally decided to put up some pics of my first car. I have done everything myself, but am currently going to school almost 2500 miles away so currently don't get to finish it for another year. So far I have replaced both quarters and inner quarters fixed at least 500 dents and dings (or so it seemed), filled in the marker lights, replaced trunk floor, rebuilt part of the grille, replaced front and rear brakes and a few more things. I did this all in the time I had while in my high school auto body shop (2008 Graduate). Here is the first set of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Nice!

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
looking good

·
Resist We Much!
6,368 Posts
Holy smokes, that looks good! :tup:

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally found my other pics. Thanks for the compliments guys! I don't know what I have in my profile, so I will say some more. I bought it in Oct of 2005 6 months before my 16th B'day for $1,500 The guy bought it for his daughter and put new interior in it and she didn't want it, and that's how much he spent to have the interior redone so that's all he wanted. My step-dad (dang him for getting me hooked to such an expensive hobby) drove it home, ran great the whole 50 miles home. Started working on the engine right away, the headers on it were smashed almost completely shut from the front torsions being turned all the way down, so I bought some Dynomax powdercoated headers, and the oil pan also had some holes filled with JB weld, so I bought a new shallow pan. That's all I could afford then so then I had to wait.

Got it licensed finally in spring of 06 and had a blast driving it all summer long. School started for my Jr year and I was finally able to bring it into my high school bodyshop. For those of you that do bodywork know how hard it is to cut into your car no matter how bad of condition its in. But my teacher tried to convince me to rebuild my own quarters, which with my experience at the time and the time I had to finish it wasn't too convincing, but me being me I tried it anyways, as the pictures show it didn't turn out too good.

I didn't have enough for quarter panels but my mom said If I could get above a 3.5 she would buy them for me, and I succeeded! But it was at the end of fourth quarter, so I had to wait till the next school year to start on them.
Senior year started and we had a new auto body teacher (great) but he ended up being a million times cooler than our last teacher and has done a lot of custom work. He showed me all the tips and tricks to hanging quarters properly and how to rebuild my own custom inner quarters. It was coming along good but time flies when your having fun, and the end of the year was coming fast. More to come!

Attachments

·
Yeehaw!
1,397 Posts
Nice!

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had done the right front fender and hood Jr. year but let a friend to the hood and had to redo it, the right fender was good but I still had to shave the marker light so I did that Sr. year. I also did the doors, roof and deck lid Sr. year and had finished the welding of the quarters at the end of third quarter Sr. year, but still had to do filler. Got all that done by fourth quarter and started priming panels and spraying jams.

By then it was time to pack up shop for our end of year car show and for all the seniors to graduate. I had to wet sand it at home but my teacher said if I could get it sanded I could bring it back for paint before I left for school. I wanted to but then realized that I started rushing things and realized after I had gone that far why would I want to screw everything up with the final touches. So now it waits in a heated garage for me to return.

Attachments

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you paint it mineral gray like your Ram? Im thinking of doing this to a Mirada. Looks good!!
No as you can tell with the next pics I fell in love the first time I saw the color, I originally wanted a HEMI orange but wanted a little bit of pop to it. I started searching and found this color Arancio Borealis Orange which is Bright Sun in some language but it is a color Lamborghini uses on their Murcielago, with a lot more pearl to it.

what wheels are those ?
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they are some old Cragars or American Racing Rims.

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As she sits now! Waiting for my return. I'm planning on doing a few more coats of primer and wet sanding everything again, then putting down a nice white coat of sealer to really make the color stand out.

Attachments

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just realized that I don't have any pic's of the drivers side quarter welded on. Or at least not on my computer.

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
DartBoy Looks great you did a great job be proud of yourself & the hard work you you've done . I'm Impressed you did all of this in your High School years. Most than some people accomplish in a life time ( by themselves ) I was nowere near that focused in High School dont worry the cars not eating anything, It's not going anywere . Get a good education we Need as many smart well educated MOPAR people out there as we can possibly get. the body looks great ( I too restored my car myself I'm just to cheap to pay anyone else ) You did right TAKE YOUR TIME the foundation is the key to a quality paint job . I dant care if your the best painter in the world the paint only reflects what's under it . are you going to use 2 stage polyurathain or are you going with the new water based paints ?? Just curious Keep Up the Good Work, Spread the good Word at Collage about buying American so they can have Companies to run wene they Graduate , Keep Focused , & Crack The BOOKS Looks to me that You've GOT the WORLD by the BALLS !!!! .

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
If you need any reference, here is a step by step of when I did my Duster restoration last winter. Over 500 pictures in all. I didn't hire out any of it including the paint.

www.cyberbiker.ca/duster

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you going to use 2 stage polyurethane or are you going with the new water based paints ??
Before I left for school I started experimenting with the new waterbased paints, but the school didn't have all the colors I needed to get this color so it is a 2 stage.

Ram3500Dually said:
here is a step by step of when I did my Duster restoration last winter. Over 500 pictures in all. I didn't hire out any of it including the paint.
I followed and read your buildup on the Duster when you posted it on here definitely good info. Great job on it too, I have always liked the A body mopars and one of my buddies has a 73 Duster.

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
Nice job Ram3500 , wene i went around to buy paint & supplys 3 different stores told me I was nuts without schooling or expierience i could'nt do my own body work & paint but i finally found one who told me I could do it myself the guys there encouraged me , answered alot of questions , ect. Needless to say thats were I bought all my paint & supplys from . It's not a trophy winner at a national show were guys got $100,000 cars. But I won trophy at smaller show last summer Best Mopar up against some nicely professionaly restored jobs these were $30,000 + restorations I was thrilled to be honest & they laughed at me in disbelief wene I told them I did all the body work & painted it myself in my Garage . Nice A bodys guys my favorite A is still the 67-69 Barracuda's . For some reason you dont se as many A bodys in my area ???

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So rowdy do you have any pics of your car/car's anywhere on the site?

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
Not really I just got it on the road late last summer after nearly 20 years & was to busy working out bugs , ect. to get many pictures of it still need a few small parts & now i'v got the 8 3/4 sure Grip torn apart it had a whinning sound at 30 mph or so ( I'm bound & dettermined to do it myself ) new bearings , new ring & pinion , and new sure grip clutches ) Got it all apart parts are on the way still a little nervous about tackleing it , & need a few other odds & ends parts. I need to post some more pics . to be honest I'm more into driving it than I am going to car shows ??? thanks to Ram Man he walked me through the loadings pics process . I cant wait for spring i'm getting cabin fever & a NEED ? a NEED for SPEED ??? dont look at my garage it's kind of a mess need to get out there & oranize it again but todays high was 15

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.