DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started a little over a year ago. Out of the blue, the LR window got stuck in the up position. Neither the driver window control or the LR window control would budge it.

I was about a week away from getting an oil change so I decided to take it to the dealer and have the window controls checked out at the same time. I gave them my car and about an hour later they told me it was ready. They also said that they didn't find anything wrong with the window. Sure enough, it rolled up and down as easy as could be. They made me feel like an idiot.

About 10 months later, guess what. It got stuck in the up position again. I decided to take it to another dealer to have them check it out. Wanna guess what happened? Yep, as soon as they got it in their shop, it started working and they reported back that they can't fix what ain't broke. Sadly, with head hung low, I motored off into the sunset with this dealer thinking that I was one can short of a six pack.

Another 2 months pass and all of a sudden, the same thing happens again! I figured if I took it in again, they would sign me up for a padded cell somewhere. So, I didn't do anything for a few weeks. Then, my wife came home one day and reported that the RR window wouldn't budge either. I told her that I'd take it in the next day when she got home from work. When she arrived, I was ready to go. Then, she reports that both windows were working properly again. :VHOT:

This is driving me nuts. I have two dealers and a wife that thinks I need professional help to get my head screwed back on right. Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? Anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Your gremlin is more common than you think. There is a contact for the window controls at the windows themselvesthat sticks. A common fix is to give the inside door panal a good tap and it unsticks. Word is it happens mostly to folks who don't roll down their rear windows often.. Try that the next time you it shows up.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
LOL, your a nut case!!

:thatfunny

·
Registered
258 Posts
As Strykker said, you're not alone. I've had the same issue on my Magnum a few times. Since I'm the only one driving the car and it's not my daily driver the back windows don't get used often. I was all ready to go to the dealer the first time it happened but when I closed the door and tried the drivers controls it started working. Now I just open and slam the door once or twice and it usually starts working again.
I'm surprised there's not a TSB on this one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at least it's not just me. It's funny that I've had other cars with electric windows but never experienced this quirk with them. Must be all this modern technology.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Happened to me too.....It would start working again if I would give the door a good whack. Seemed like a loose connection(bad ground?)somewhere....I had the dealer replace the motor in the door and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
65standard said:
very common problem. i had the dealer replace the regulator and the ghost left.
I wonder why there's not a TSB out on this if it's common? What regulator?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I am sure you have gotten your window switches wet with the windows down. This seems to be a problem with location of the switches on the arm rests on the doors.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's possible, but, unlikely. Why only on the rear doors?

Over the past few months, the problem comes and goes and even switches from one rear door to the other. It's absolutely crazy.

Last night, there was a blanket of heavy fog/moisture all over the car. Guess what? Yep, both of them are working fine. However, I'm sure that this is just temporary.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, at least I know I'm not crazy. My left rear does it all the time too. It will be working fine, then it won't, then it will. I called the dealer and they said that if they can't reproduce it they won't try and fix it. I had it where it wasn't working, checked it over and over, drove to the dealer to show them it wasn't working, and as I was getting ready to pull into the service driveway I tried it again, and the window rolled down. I wish it would just stop working so I could get it fixed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HIPCHIP said:
Well, at least I know I'm not crazy. My left rear does it all the time too. It will be working fine, then it won't, then it will. I called the dealer and they said that if they can't reproduce it they won't try and fix it. I had it where it wasn't working, checked it over and over, drove to the dealer to show them it wasn't working, and as I was getting ready to pull into the service driveway I tried it again, and the window rolled down. I wish it would just stop working so I could get it fixed.
Here's another spooky fact. It looks like you live in Woodland, CA. I live in Conocrd, Ca. I purchased my Magnum at Swift Dodge in Sacramento and normally get mine serviced at Swift Dodge in Davis. I'd be willing to bet you either purchased yours at the same place or have it service there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought it from Swift in Davis, and that's who I called and they told me they wouldn't do anything. When I tried to drive it to the dealer, it was the dealer in Woodland, who I don't trust as much. Maybe I'll call Davis again and see if they've changed their mind as this is a common problem.
Dan'o

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any luck getting it fixed? I had an issue with mine, (am in Canada) and by chance it wasn't working when I took it in for an oil change. They fussed with it for about 2 hrs and broke the door panel clips before telling me a new one had to be ordered.

Since replacment, all is well and no issues on the others, and they forgot to order the replacement door clips at the time they ordered the new switch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I called and they kept telling me that if they couldn't reproduce the problem they wouldn't fix it. I told them it was all over Dodgetalk.com as a problem and they just replaced something in the car door (regulator or something. I forget now) and it seems to be OK. I think they know what the problem is, they just don't want to do a recall and have to pay to fix all of them. I think it's like the 7 year/70,000 mi warranty, it costs too much so they don't do it anymore!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still no resolution here. It just won't do it when I take it to the dealer... This is frustrating...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd leave school and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd drive a few miles and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd drive several more miles and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd get off the freeway and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd hit several stop lights, check the window and it wouldn't go down. I'd approach the dealer and check the window.....it would go down. It did this over and over and over. The dealer said they couldn't get it to not work, but to keep the customer happy they replaced the part that should be bad, so I think they know exactly what's wrong, they just don't want to admit it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HIPCHIP said:
I'd leave school and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd drive a few miles and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd drive several more miles and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd get off the freeway and check the window, it wouldn't go down. I'd hit several stop lights, check the window and it wouldn't go down. I'd approach the dealer and check the window.....it would go down. It did this over and over and over. The dealer said they couldn't get it to not work, but to keep the customer happy they replaced the part that should be bad, so I think they know exactly what's wrong, they just don't want to admit it.
HIPCHIP: That sounds exactly like what happens to me. Every time! Do you have the service tag that show what they replaced? That would really be interesting to have a copy of that the next time I showed up on their door step!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.