DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee (Sandy) decided she wanted a few new cd's for her birthday present, so we went to Best Buy and picked some up. On the way back we decided to get pizza, so I called it in so we could stop and pick it up on the way home.
That left about 15 minutes extra to kill.

Driving around, I noticed a new location of the 'Boomerang car wash' has opened close to home and their sign was offering FREE CAR WASHES.
I know what my truck won't fit in a couple of the automatic car washes around town due to the 33 12.5 15's, but I haven't tried many so I thought what the heck. After all, it's not THAT wide.
This car wash had employees checking that antenna were down and there was nothing in the back of pickups that might fly out. The place was packed when I got in line.
I got a little worried when I drove under the 'Max 7 feet' pole across the entrance driveway and the guy in the car in front of us ducked in his car and cringed as he watched... It looked like I had about an inch to spare up top so all was good so far.

About 6 cars later it was our turn. The guy directing people in checked the bed and said "Hi, Nice truck", waving me forward and pointing out the sign that said to put the truck in Neutral, stay off the brakes and do not try to steer. The track picked the tires up and we were off through the tunnel. We got through the first set of brush rollers on the side and were coming up on the strips of blue fabric that clean the hood and roof when the steering wheel jerked HARDCORE to the right. The carwash shut down and a buzzer sounded.
One of the employees ran up to me and told me through the dripping rainbow colored wax foam stuff that was running through the now open drivers window that I needed to put the truck in drive and help it over a roller that the tires were slipping on. I gave it a little gas and the right front side dropped down into what I thought was about a 6" hole to the right. Not good.

The employee dropped down and looked under the truck, yelled something in mexican at the other guy and the alarm went off again as everything shut down. The guys started redirecting traffic and scrambling around, changing the rollers that pushed the two cars already in the tunnel behind me back out, one covered in soap suds. Twenty or so minutes (no kidding, ask the Fiancee lol) later, all cars were out and they had run the rest of the cars out in front of us by forcing the rollers under my tires (truck was firmly stuck).

I could tell who the manager was, he was frantically running around on the phone trying different things and resetting this and that. I was getting mad, but only because all the employees were ignoring me and I couldn't get an answer or even find out what happened. I tend to expect problems in life and I like to find the positive. Apart from pizza my night was wide open and it was only 5PM.
The rainbow wax foam stuff seemed to cling and drip everywhere. I got bored and started taking pictures of everything I could with my cellphone, Sandy tried to see what happened to the front right hand side but could only see a long black tire brush across the bottom of the wheel.

Ok. Getting too long here, sorry.
The manager finally approched me and I could tell he was trying to feel out my attitude (which was calm but strained). He told me I needed to try to back out carefully. I asked what happened and he said a piece of the machine had broken and punctured the tire. I asked if the wheel was OK (custom aluminium wheels) and he said yes. I tried to back up but just got wheel spin. I put it in 4Hi, same thing. I was HUNG. Another 15 minutes passed of them using a prybar and trying to loosen the front right and I put it in 4Lo and told them to hold the brushes away from the mirrors. I backed it out hard a foot or two and stopped.

I got out to find the wheel is scarred up pretty good for about two inces on the outer rim, there is a 3 1/2 inch wide open split from the tread to the rim on the sidewall and the bristles from the tire brush got pinched as I backed it out and were sticking out all over.

What happened was the tire brush is mounted to a sprung assembly that moves away from the car depending on it's width. The assembly itself had PLENTY of swing to accomodate the truck, but there was a 45 degree angled plastic piece in front, backed by a 2x2 aluminum bar that the tire hits to push the assembly to the side. That piece hit an upright where it was measured wrong and the plastic piece broke off and went through the tire. When the kid told me to drive forward over that the wheel got into a cast iron bearing housing for the brush and messed it up.

Well, the manager took me home to get a spare tire I had that was on a Chevy rim. he also came up with tools and removed the wheel from the truck right there in the tunnel and took us and the wheels to WalMart, got them changed and mounted the wheel back on the truck. I couldn't have asked for more looking at the circumstances.

They want me to go back tomorrow to fill a report and discuss what I want fixed. The manager thanked me for not being the type to get pissed off and demand all new tires and a new wheel. I told him I would be happy with a used tire (the one we put on is an 11.5 wide, others are 12.5) but I wanted the wheel fixed. He seemed a bit disturbed by that but one of his empolyees said there is a shop in town that can fix aluminium rims and he said OK.
I usually wouldn't have cared about the wheels on a 4X4 but these are really nice and none had a scratch until now.

The pizza place tried to give us the 3 hour old pizzas after all that, but with some whining and a few nice words replaced them with some fresh ones, so all is well in the world!!!!

Thanks for reading, now I just hope they will at least give me a used tire the same size as the old one tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That sucks that you had such a big problem, it is good to see the manager taking responsability for it and doing what he can to get you going again. Asking for a new rim is todally acceptable, and the same size tire is a given along with the same tread or if they can't, a brand new tire, even 2 if the tread is to much difference. I hate automatic carwashes, and my truck being about 7'6" i'm WAY to tall anyhow. Is your truck lifted? Because when my 2500 was stock, I could fit into 7" with like 4" clearance.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
That sucks, but glad everything is alright. i tried going into a carwash exactly like that the other day with my stock ram and it would not fit on them dang rollers right and i had to end up driving over the curb to get out of it. i will not go through another one or attempt to go through one..LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
i was wondering too if i'll have trouble in a car wash i just got my '95 2500 slt laramie with a lift kit and 300 angry horsed v10

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow that sucks! I have the same type of problem with my truck on the automatic car washes (minus the ripped tire). I start off ok and as soon as the truck is covered in soap the right front tire jumps out of the track. I have got in the habit of dropping it in drive and driving back in the track and going on with the wash before the alarm sounds. But otherwise the wash I going to sounds just like the one you delt with. The only person that speaks english is the manager of the place. Good luck with getting your tire and wheel replaced.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to dig up a buried thread, but I thought I would give an update.

I bent over backwards to help the car wash folks fix my truck, I found a tire and waited a month for them to get the wheel fixed. I finally decided they couldn't find a place to do it and presented them with an offer:-

If they buy me TWO new B.F. Goodrich M/T's in a 35x12.5x15 (current tires are 33's) I would take my losses on the wheel damage and walk away. They agreed and are supposed to call me Monday to meet me and have them installed.

The only problem is, I can't afford the other two larger tires for a few weeks, so I'm going to ask them to throw the tires in the back of the truck and cut me a check for installation. I doubt they will write the check, but I still get two nice tires for my trouble.

The back tires on the truck now are nice enough to sell used and the other front one would become a spare once I find a cheap steel wheel to fit the truck.

Did I do OK or get ripped off?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You seem to have done alright I'd say I mean the rim repair should be a easy thing to do tho? I mean theres easily a dozen places in saskatoon that will repair rims so I mean if their nit picking at the price I'd start demanding that they fix it. Did you check your steering, etc.? I would think that hard yank would have done a bit of damage?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wheel repair places around here will straighten and buff wheels, but won't replace missing chunks on aftermarket wheels. Don't know why....
The ball joints and tie rod ends are worn anyway... I don't think it did any major damage there. I did notice the axle joints are badly worn too... Hope they aren't too hard to replace.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i never go into car washes with my truck because all they do is scratch it up.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
that sucks, I have a stock height truck with 265/75/16 tires at the time...i even got stuck in a car wash. Now got 265/70/16 tires and never gonna go thru another carwash.

·
Registered
197 Posts
thats why i lowered my truck,LOL(cant believe no other lowered guys jumped on this one). that does suck though, i always wash mine by hand. too much can wrong in a place that they aren't responsible for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
dude that sucks . i wont even take mine to car washes any more after having a mirror riped off i just wash it my self ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
streetram said:
thats why i lowered my truck,LOL(cant believe no other lowered guys jumped on this one). that does suck though, i always wash mine by hand. too much can wrong in a place that they aren't responsible for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't argue with people who make sense.........

If I could reach the second story of my truck I would be more than happy to wash it by hand........ Flame on. :VHOT:

·
Registered
609 Posts
what do you have it looks like a five inch lift with a body lift i have a six inch lift with out body lift they look about the same the only thing i hate is trying to wash the windsheld i have to get a ladder to get it ....lol i hope you get every thing fixed allright

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.