DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got done debadging my tail gate and driver side door and let me tell you its not as easy as everyone says... but maybe thats because its an 03.

first i went to the closest wal-mart and lowes and bought
2 microfiber rags
3 cotten shop towels
Goof off
fishing line (10lb test, shoulda goten 15lb)

i started with the tail gate and used fishing string to saw off the letters

once i got them off i started with the goof off (couldnt find 3M adhesive remover any where) .. i ended up using a guitar pick as a tool to help along the process and between the tail gate and the driver side door i used more than a half of a bottle of goof off.

after about an hour of goofing and picking i got the tail gate logo off and sprayd it with water, dried it off with the shop towels then sprayed it with liquid spray turtle wax and hand buffed it out with the microfiber rags. the tail gate turned out pretty good IMO.

So then comes the driver door. ... take all the instructions from above and insert here "......" ... as well took about an hour. i thought it looked good untill i looked at the pictures i took and noticed some bad ghosting in the image.... the flash must have picked it up. i couldnt find the clay bar at either of those stores so i need to find it somewhere.(any advice would be great) now i didnt get started till late so by the time all this was done i didnt get time to get to the passenger door so between the darkness and mosquitoes i decided to keep a uni-badge truck till tomorrow. when i finish i will upload before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
New Vision
1,199 Posts
Looks great so far. I love the color! However, I'm just not quite ready to rip mine off.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I know it's pretty tough. My truck is an 03 and I just debadged a few weeks ago. What I found to be the key to getting the goof off to do most of the work is to keep a rag soaked and keep putting more and more on the residue. I did that for at least 20 minutes on each door and it wasn't so terrible to get the rest of it off. As far as the ghosting goes, I have a little on my truck as well. I went over the spots several times with the clay bar and then hit it with Meguiars Cleaner Wax and it isn't quite so bad. I'm sure it will fade to match before too long. Good luck with the other side.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
BTW, I used 50# test to saw off the emblems. It's not nearly as tough on your hands, it's almost like weedeater line.

·
Satanmobile
460 Posts
mine is a '03 too and i did it like a month ago...what a pain in the butt, but i'm very happy with it now

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
redramhawgfan said:
What I found to be the key to getting the goof off to do most of the work is to keep a rag soaked and keep putting more and more on the residue. I did that for at least 20 minutes on each door and it wasn't so terrible to get the rest of it off. :gr_patrio

i did that exact same thing it still took me that long, thats why i used a little over half a bottle of goof off!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Good job man.. Mines also an 03, and I was lucky not to have any problems with ghosting. Far as the clay bar goes, I've got two stores I know are national chains, Advanced Auto, and Auto Zone. Ya might be lucky to have one of these in your area. If not, any autoparts store that deals in cleaning products should have them..

Just wanted to say, I swear by that stuff :D It cleans paint, glass, metal, and the clearcoat on the chrome clad 20's.

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info .... i probably have 5 auto zones within 5 miles of the house

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Budd said:
Mines also an 03, and I was lucky not to have any problems with ghosting.

i remember i photochoped your truck with the chrome gas cap, cleared painted HL's, chrome door handles, and the debadge and you came back and replied saying you didnt have any probs.... infact i used the info you gave me on that thread to try this but mine went quite different.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I thought it was pretty cool when I saw this thread, because I did remember ya talkin about it before ;)
One thing that claybar contains (at least from Mothers) is a carnuba wax. If theres any ghosting afterwards, that wax will work great.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
redramhawgfan said:
BTW, I used 50# test to saw off the emblems. It's not nearly as tough on your hands, it's almost like weedeater line.
But for pete's sake, don't use weed eater line! I'm the poster child for the folly of that train of thought. Since I didn't have any fishing line, I used the smallest weed eater line I had (.056). It's either too thick (maybe), or too stiff (most likely). Either way, it cut little divets in my paint. I saw it as soon as I got the first letter off. Not much, you can hardly see it (thank God for bright colored paint)...

But I know it's there :VHOT:

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats sucks to heare about the divets... but we'll see how the other door goes later today.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Looks good so far...

I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound and many coats of "Scratch off" and Meguire's Cleaner Wax to get the ghosting out of my tailgate and doors. My truck is three and a half years old and I just debadged it two weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I lucked out

Did my 2005 two weeks after I got it

Rubbed all the adhesive off with my fingers

Truck was in the gargae and cool when I brought it out

Entire job ALL badges including the Hemi ones took 45 minutes max

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i had to delay debadging the other door because the weather here in DFW is nasty. so all i have done so far is watched movies inside, but as soon i get the other side debadged and get a clay bar and try to get some of the ghosting off i will post some more pics and info

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Just another little tip guys. Tie the ends of the fishing line to a couple pieces of wooden dowel rod to use for saw handles. Sure saves your hands! :D

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are my final before and after pics and the passenger door was no better, still a pain in the A$$. and to make it worse i washed and waxed my whole truck when i was done and when i went to take pictures it started RAINING .... i hate texas weather.... but after all is said and done i think im pretty happy with the results!!!!

Attachments

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Looks good! :D

You know what they say about the weather in Texas...... if you don't like it, just wait five minutes... it'll change. :)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Looks good man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.