DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been waiting for a long time to be able to start this thread and the time is finally here!!! :rck:

We got the motor pulled out of storage yesterday and i started tearing into it tonight. We got all the wiring pulled off and most of the fornt end stripped down. Also got the tranny and motor split. I'm hoping to have the engine on the stand sometime on sunday and start pulling it apart some more to get ready for the cam swap.

Heres a few pics of tonights progress and there will be lots more to come!! For those that dont know about my swap I also added a pic of my 98 ram that the hemi will be getting swapped into.

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thats cool but alot of un-necessary work. The 5.9L has more than enough potential when built right. And none of the crazy wiring mess you're going to get into soon enough. I would have stuck with the Magnum 360 and stroked/bored it, heads, cam, intake, tb, and SCT tune it. Will do anything that the new hemi can. But, it will be interesting to see how you get it integrated! Good luck with it, I'll chime in for support or help if there's something I can help with!

Also you will want to at least go 4.10 gears with that Hemi. In fact you could go 4.56 with the Hemi as they are a higher revving, higher rpm powerband engine. I run 4.10's in my truck with the 360, and eat stock Hemi trucks up. Mods below, very minimal power adding mods. Basically gears, exhaust, shift kit, and SCT Tuner. Bone stock 360. 2.2 second 60 foot, 15.2 quarter mile, and 8.9 eighth mile best, average around 9.2 second. Anyway, I would not pass up that, as you will be amazed the difference going from 3.55's to 4.10's will make.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I did originally think about just stroking and building up the 360 but I wanted to try something different, something nobody else has. Gears will be getting swapped to at least 4.10s but not until I get the motor done. Also it's not going in the truck stock either it's getting a new cam, CAI, e-fans, and a set of long tube headers to start. Plan on doing a new TC and gears later once the funds are back up after the first part of the swap.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thats cool but alot of un-necessary work. The 5.9L has more than enough potential when built right.
Problem with that is you have to put out $$$ just to match the HP of the stock hemi. It's a no brainer to put the money in the hemi and have above and beyond what the 360 can do. I'm not bashing the 360 but hemis rock.

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
I think this idea is great. I am attached to my 1999 since I bought it new, but with all the time and $$$ I have spent on the 360 it is still no where near a hemi. 2nd generation + hemi = very cool. Even better if it was a 5 speed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome idea and sweet truck!

I would do it too no matter how much work the wiring is. If you get a sweet deal on parts, then wiring just takes time. And i always enjoy spending time with my truck. Doesnt a stock hemi have like 100hp over a stock 5.9?

Subscribed! Keep us updated

Sent from my HTC EVO4G using tapatalk 2

·
Registered
984 Posts
Problem with that is you have to put out $$$ just to match the HP of the stock hemi. It's a no brainer to put the money in the hemi and have above and beyond what the 360 can do. I'm not bashing the 360 but hemis rock.
What's crazy is that my 360, with only 290 HP with the SCT Tune and exhaust, blows away Hemi Rams with nearly 100 more HP. No replacement for displacement! The 360 may be "old technology", but it still packs more whallop. It's all about grunt. These trucks are heavy, they need low end torque more than HP, and the 360 Magnum has way more than the Hemi.

On the other hand, there is more aftermarket support for the Hemi, so finding parts will be easier.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What's crazy is that my 360, with only 290 HP with the SCT Tune and exhaust, blows away Hemi Rams with nearly 100 more HP. No replacement for displacement! The 360 may be "old technology", but it still packs more whallop. It's all about grunt. These trucks are heavy, they need low end torque more than HP, and the 360 Magnum has way more than the Hemi.

On the other hand, there is more aftermarket support for the Hemi, so finding parts will be easier.
I would agree on no replacement for displacement, but we are talking 15ci. That statement is more about going from a small block to a big block imo. 5.9 is def a torque motor and the hemi is a hp motor. In a half ton 2wd, with a stall tq, that thing will be crazy fast. Especially when he gets to a gear swap. The only reason he might loose a race is from trying to keep the rear tires from going up in smoke! Lol

My 2 cts

Sent from my HTC EVO4G using tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!!

The 5.9 has been an awesome engine to me but I've rebuilt/redone just about everything else in this truck already and figured by the time I build a stroker out of the 5.9 I'd probably have $3-5000 into it. I've got two 5.7's and 545rfe transmissions along with a few extra spare parts for under $3000. So I think I did alright on them. My dad is already wanting to find an old dart to put the second motor into lol. I told him as long as he finds/supplies the car I've got the motor but not until after my truck is done!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Like i said before i'm not bashing the 360. But if i had my choice of motors it would be the hemi! It has more potential to make power just by it's design. When did you ever see a wedge motor top fuel dragster? ALL HEMIS! This discussion reminds me of a tv show i watched years ago that compared the 426 hemi against all the popular motors of the day(cheby rat, tyi power Pontiac,427 Ford). All where rebuilt to factory specs then put on the dyno. The hemi had substantially more power than all the others.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Should be pretty fast truck too! Take lots of pics!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm hooked, subd

·
Registered
736 Posts
sounds like an awesome project! ill be keeping my eye on this one.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should be pretty fast truck too! Take lots of pics!
Yea I'm hoping it'll be pretty quick when I'm done lol. And I plan on taking a ton of pics along the way.

Didn't really get much further this weekend. Ended up working all day yesterday and spent today trying to find a new wheel for the engine stand. Then realized I don't have the right size bolts to bolt the engine up. :ugh: Called it a day after that.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
:popcorn:

·
1,044 Posts
When your done want to come down to the US and give me a ride in it?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When your done want to come down to the US and give me a ride in it?
Well the truck has made the trip down to Columbus Ohio for the mopar nationals the last two years and I'm hoping it will be able to make the trip again this August. So if your in that area (or somewhere between there and ontario) that wouldn't be a problem!

Also got the stand fixed up last night and the engine mounted onto it. Didn't get much farther though since I don't have a puller that will get my crankshaft pulley off. Tried to rig something up with no luck. A friend of mine thinks he has one that will work so we are going to try it out tomorrow night. If not I guess we will be fabbing one up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360214821.903301.jpg

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
you should have that engine in a trash bag. protect it!

1 - 20 of 651 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.