DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago i went to start my truck and when i turned the key nothing happend no clicking no sound at all, so i turned the lights on to see if it was the battery and they worked fine and the radio came on so i was like well dang, so the next day i went to start it and the starter was whining and finally it started so i new the starter was going out so i bought new one and after i put it on the same thing no respnse at all. so then i changed the starter relay and it worked fine until the next morning, then the same prob. but it i start it directly from either the starter or the relay it sounds fine and starts normally. so i think it is in the ignition and or wiring from the ignition to the relay. can anyone help me on this problem?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is it an auto transmission????... If so it may be your neutral safety switch...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it is, how do i check and see if thats the problem, how hard is it to change the ignition?

·
Registered
601 Posts
It may be even as simple as a linkage adjustment.....Push up on your shift arm as if your Really trying to put it to park and try to start it....If it starts adjust your linkage..
If not pull the plug thats on your tranny and with contact cleaner clean the plug & prongs really good to get all the oil & dirt out....
& if that don't work bypass your wires on the stater relay...like stated on the other link
& if that doesnt work I'd be lookin at the bulkhead connectors & ignition switch!!!

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Where the hand is.. you can see the white box (ballast resistor) and the silver and orange thing, thats the ignition module.

These are common parts that fail... and i know many other people carry spares of these in their truck just in case. I've removed the completely and went to msd!

Attachments

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
OK, here's another thought... (Or another wrench in the gears :D )

You might want to check this, being as you said you replaced the starter relay, which means you jiggled the battery cables around....

A long time ago, I used to own a little 72' Datsun PickemUp.... It started having starter probs one day. I replaced the starter twice.... I replaced the relay.... I replaced the ignition switch.... STILL had probs (As in sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't)

What it turned out to be was the positive battery cable. It looked perfectly fine on the outside. Clamp and terminal were clean. Then, after beating my head on a wall for a couple of weeks, I got a brainstorm...I got a razor knife and sliced away a little bit of the insulation next to the battery clamp. You should have seen the green crud fall out of it! Replaced the cable and never had another problem with it.

That is why, now, I make my own cables with the lugs soldered onto the wire rather than crimped like store-bought. There are four advantages to this...

You can make the cables the exact length you want/need...

I can make cables that are either #1 or #0 gauge... Not the puny 4 gauge junk they sell at the auto parts store....

I KNOW I've got good solid connections at the lugs...

It's usually cheaper to make your own...

One more thing, and it's just a quirk with me... I like to have the positive cable red and the negative black. Most cables at auto part stores are mostly black it seems...

Good luck and Git er' done!! :D

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Make sure the relay is grounded good, as in make sure it's bolted firmly to the inner fender. It won't work right if it's not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have checked or replaced the starter, ballist resistor, ignition module, coil, distributer. and checked the battery and the cables and still it doesnt turn over sometimes and if it does it sounds like the starter is dying, or not getting enough power, when i jump it from the relay it the starter sounds fine and starts just fine. im going crazy and this is my daily driver so i need to get it fixed. thanks for all your help so far.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
If the relay is tight, then the only thing left is the ignition switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.