DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I might as well start a thread for it now, since I made some pretty good progress this weekend and am 1/2 way done.

Here it is as it arrived:

Here it is roughed up. It'll get a very fine sanding, then polished to shine like chrome. This will be the only dress up for the motor, as it's very time consuming but will look badass when done.

Engine bay disassembled ready for pulling:

Not much room, but just enough for me to work with:

Engine is out:

Empty engine bay shot:

Screw you 4.7L:

Why hello 5.7L Hemi:

4.7L going on the pallet:

Everything tucks away for me to easily park 2 cars when I'm done:

It'll probably be 2 weeks before I can start on more of it, as I have to wait for the wiring to arrive, order the motor mounts then measure and fabricate them, and order the APS or Edge torque converter that'll go in. As of now I'm figuring about a month before I'll be done. I'm pretty much right on schedule of where I wanted to be.

·
03_HEMI
578 Posts
that is going to be a bad A$$ truck when it is done

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
thanks for the updates and pictures man, awesome thread your starting, keep it up :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
NICE!!!!! Best swap ever!! I am very interested in this. I am planning a 5.7 swap in my Ram once my Dakota is to a point that I can consider "done".

Keep us updated! Great work so far!

·
MR *DE*
7,544 Posts
looks like its coming along josh. cant wait to see that when its done

·
Registered
4 Posts
I showed my wife the screw-u pick of the 4.7L.... she just didn't get it... women...

Anyways, I'm have a 2003 Dakota with a 4.7L and a manual. I'm planning on doing the same swap over the summer. Keep us posted on any hard aches you run into.

I do I have a few questions.

How are you going to handle the engine computer and body computer talking? And what about the engine codes?

Also, how are you going to handle the exhaust system? Or A/C?

Are you going to add one of the 5.7L Comp Cam?

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine computer and body computer shouldn't be much of a wiring problem. There's not that much wiring as I expected that I'll have to mess with.

I'm hoping to keep the codes able to display on the dash and look factory. I'm also hoping to keep the gauges the same way, but since the Hemi and my truck run on two different wiring systems, it's possible that I have to go to all custom gauges.

The exhaust will be fine. At the worst I'll have to have my exhaust cut and angled to meet up with the exhaust manifolds. I already have 2.5" true duals and an x-pipe.

I will eventually get the A/C to perform like stock, but it's not a big concern right now. After all the major things are done and I have no issues, then I'll take care of it.

I will be going with a 268 Comp Cam later on down the road. I don't expect to do it until summer or so. This leaves me plenty of time to have the swap completed and find any problems or weaknesses that may break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The wiring shouldn't be a problem, that's just lengths of copper and plastic plugs. The programing the computers might be a bit more tricky.

The 02-04 Ram's HEMI uses a PCI bus like the 01-04 Dak's. The 04 Durangos and all the later HEMI model uses the CAN bus which is completely different in both wiring and programming. Custom programming comes from DC factory. So, are you going to try to a stock HEMI engine computer or something like the FAST XFI setup? I looked into using it in my '73 charger, it rocks.

It would be very interesting to know if the a stock 03 RAM 5.7L can work correctly with a 03 Dakota body computer.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you want to EVER put headers on the hemi, now would be the time to do it....imo

ma mopar sells the crate 5.7 hemi w// fuel injection.....maybe get ahold of one of them computers....just a though

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TripleBlack said:
The wiring shouldn't be a problem, that's just lengths of copper and plastic plugs. The programing the computers might be a bit more tricky.

The 02-04 Ram's HEMI uses a PCI bus like the 01-04 Dak's. The 04 Durangos and all the later HEMI model uses the CAN bus which is completely different in both wiring and programming. Custom programming comes from DC factory. So, are you going to try to a stock HEMI engine computer or something like the FAST XFI setup? I looked into using it in my '73 charger, it rocks.

It would be very interesting to know if the a stock 03 RAM 5.7L can work correctly with a 03 Dakota body computer.
The problem that I'll have is trying to use the Hemi PCI bus with my CCD bus (2000 and earlier). I'm hoping to at least be able to put in a 01+ gauge cluster and get that to function and look like stock. I won't be going to anything like the FAST XFI.

daklover said:
If you want to EVER put headers on the hemi, now would be the time to do it....imo

ma mopar sells the crate 5.7 hemi w// fuel injection.....maybe get ahold of one of them computers....just a though
I can always do headers later, that won't be a problem. The main thing I wanted to get out of the way was the torque converter since the engine is already out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
yeah, you could always put the headers on, im just thinking how much of a pain in the a** it will be as compared to doing before dropping the motor in....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Where you at in GR I wouldnt mind checkin that out once you get done with that. Sounds like you have a plan together though. Good luck.

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in Walker, the West side of Grand Rapids.

I got a little more done this weekend, which is right on track with what I wanted to get done.

I finally removed all of the wiring.

Random shot of the engines and tools.

Removed the front axle for servicing while I have the motor out.

Torn apart engine bay. Removed the nasty black insulation so when I finally clean up the engine bay it'll look nice. It looks horrible now, I know.

Closeup of the stock motor mounts I cut up.

Cutup Hemi motor mount #1.

Cutup Hemi motor mount #2.

2003 PCM and TCM (not shown) bolt right up to my stock mounts where mine were.

Random shot of the 1/0 AWG wiring, Hella horns, and Camburg Engineering stainless steel battery tray.

Shot of the oil pans. Hemi on top, 4.7 on bottom. Will have to cut up the Hemi on to fit like the 4.7 when I get the motor in. Won't start on that until I get the motor in and can check easily for fitment.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks good! Looking forward to updates.
If my engine ever goes I plan on swapping in either a 360 or a 408, since it's a simple engine and tranny swap, since the 318 and 360 use the same motor mounts.
But personally I don't think this 318 will ever go :D

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be picking up the wiring I need tomorrow and the torque converter should arrive anytime now. The Hemi is torn down more and will go in this week to test fit the motor mounts. After making sure everything will work out fine, my welder friend will be here next week to weld them up for me. Then I'll finally be able to leave the motor in and start cutting up the oil pan. After that it won't be long before I can fire it up.

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
nice man looking forward to seeing how it turns out man!!! hope everything gets working and running fine man

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm hoping that the computer will just tell my transmission to give me a 5th gear. I would be really happy if it did.

The wiring issue is for the gauges. I shouldn't have much of a problem with the wiring to get the truck running. It's the difference in bus controllers for the communication to the gauges I'm expecting problems with.

I should be able to start on the wiring next week as I have everything for the motor to go in. I will set it in tonight or tomorrow and when the motor mounts get welded up then I'll be able to do the wiring and the oil pan.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.