DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been so focused(mostly lazy) on my Hemi, that I've been neglecting my 4.7 work truck. So much so that I have close to 85K miles and still have the original spark plugs. :D Anyhoo I bought a set back when the truck had about 25K on it, and I listened to what the Autozone parts guy told me to get, which probably wasn't the wisest thing to do. I bought Bosch Platinum plugs part# 4230 I believe, will these suffice or should I get something else.....? Also what's the gap?

·
Registered
200 Posts
i ran those bosch platnuim 4's in mine and it ran like crap! now i have ngk v-powers ALOT smoother

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
The gap should be on your engine ID sticker in front of the fan cover.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Standard Champion Coppers have never done me wrong. Platinum plugs on the other hand...garbage.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JeffB2002 said:
The plugs should have come already gapped.
Probably but they have been rolling around my tool box for a couple of years so I'm not sure if the gap has changed. Besides I never trust that they're pre gapped correctly....you should always check them.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
OK,for those that say they come already gapped you are correct BUT,If you have ever seen what parts counter guys do to those spark plug boxes occasionally you will never NOT check them before installing them ever again. I seen a counter guy slam all four corners of a spark plug box hard enough on the counter to mash the tips to the electrodes. he hit all 4 sides to make sure at least one of the sides smashed the tips down,I also seen this done by dealer counter guys to techs that gave them problems.......seems this is a way to get back at some trouble some guys. Needless to say if the tech or person was used to just removing the plug from the box without inspection and installing them would clearly install a closed gap plug resulting in doing the job twice.

Jeff this wasnt directed at your post,just a reminder that even though YES they come gapped,its up to you to confirm the CORRECT gap.

·
15,912 Posts
You guys are right, you should check them. I agree with you, but the correct gap should be on the box, shouldn't it?

No prob Brian. I don't get offended easily. It's all good bro!! :)

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope it's not on the box, does anyone know?

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I am correct, the gap should be .35, I changed mine out this summer and I think thats where I was at.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JeffB2002 said:
Here is the table for spark plug gaps from the service manual
Cool!! Thank you Sir!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.