DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it but I jumped a curb sunday night with the passenger side of my truck and blew out two tires. Well today I was on my lunch break and the truck acted like it went into neutral then back into first as I was leaving a stop sign. Since then it has felt like the truck could be pushed faster than it takes off from a complete stop. To avoid further damage I've been using 2nd gear from a stop and avoid 1st like the plauge. Am I looking at a new tranny or a fairly easy fix? I checked earlier and didn't see any visible damage from the curb incident.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Did you check your fluid level, does it smell burnt?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's an 05 5.7 auto. I don't think the previous owner ever changed the fluid, air filter had over 88k on it when I got the truck so I doubt very seriously he worried about much other than the oil. I haven't looked yet but is it possible to check the fluid on the ram, It seems like you can't on the charger but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Dipstick, under the hood, passenger side, engine running.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What does it do in manual 1st. gear? Manual 2nd should still pull out in 1st gear, in fact, Overdrive 1st., Manual 2nd. 1st., and Manual 1st., all use the same components, as far as, clutches and overrun clutches. There is a possibility that when you hit the curb you may have caused the shift linkage to get tweaked out of adjustment, I would check that closely.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drove it around a little today and it did alot better. It starts much better from a stop but feels weaker than the 6cyl. Most of the problems were with it in drive, going manually it wasn't to bad, just lacked alot of the power it should have.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hummm.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Oddly enough, the problem seems to have fixed itself. Everything is back to normal, no lights, good power, shifts smoothly. I didn't do anything other than driving easily with it. I'm still very cautious, but so far everything is working fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.