DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that's it, i'm doin' it. but i need you guys' input to make sure the finished product is worthy of the badging (i hate wannabe badging).:WHT:

i wanted a cummins for towing, fuel mileage, and longevity:gr_patrio. i also needed a longbox for construction. so, that's what i bought. but dang it, i've always loved the POWER WAGON moniker, and they're exactly what i want my truck to look like when it's done:bawl:.

* i had plans to swap out the tires for 285s (33") or a little bigger.
* i plan to use a removeable winch, so i can use it at either bumper.
* a "real" bumper will go on, obviously, cuz that stocker is pretty sorry. i'll probably make it unless i find a smokin' deal on craigslist.
* disconnect sway bar is easy.
* i may skip the skid plates, unless you guys think they're necessary for goin' out in the woods (no stump jumpin' or major rock crawlin'). any weaknesses?

some issues:
1) the diesels come with beefed suspension, and rightly so, so i might try to gain some trail flex with some big revolver shackles on 1/4 eliptical rear leaf eyes. ...much like a trick jeep set up.
2) i'm a little torn about ride height. the wife, kids, and parents ain't fond of the climb into the truck now,...and it'd be 3" higher (or more) with larger tires and a 2" lift.
3) the freakin' lockers!!! i don't know about that one. i don't have the cash to do major axle swaps from a PW, and i wouldn't want the 4.56 gears with my grunty motor anyway. i haven't seen aftermarket lockers for the AAM 9.25. hmmm.

i just wanted to kick this off, so i make appropriate upgrades as i go through my truck. the goal of my "CTDPW" is CAPABILITY. thanks for input, anything helps to shape the choices i make. and, by the way, I'M CHEAP, but only cuz i gotta be.

also, it'll wind up two-tone. a modern olive drab with black liner rockers and flares.

kevin

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Don't want much, do you. LOL I'm going to have to think this one out. Oh, by the way, Power Wagons are born in Mexico, with a Hemi. LOL :D

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
OK, well it will never be a PW but with that said you can get it as close as you can, depending on your needs.

Skid plates: a must if you go off road. I would say at least 75% of the guys on this forum will back me on this when I say, we all have dings in our skid plates, and we can just imagine what would have happened if they where not there.

Lockers, instead of swapping axles, you can always go to a set of air lockers, and with what experience I have with them, there easier to lock and unlock, given your air pump is working.

Tire size, again the majority will agree, the stock PW tires do not do justice for the PW, most of us have 35" or larger.

About the winch and bumpers, I think your own the right track, build your own, I would if I had the time and a welder. Winch, I am not sure they make a receiver type mount for a 15K or larger winch, which is what you need, I would not want to be stuck in the middle of no where with something smaller, unless you have allot of cable and at least two snatch blocks.

Suspension, KORE has a very impressive kit, there about the only kit that I know of that builds a suspension that can handle the weight of our trucks especially yours.

Last point, do not put Power Wagon badges on your truck, you have a capable truck as is (my son has the same one) do not change that. The CTD badge says it all.

This is what your shooting for I believe.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0807dp_2007_dodge_ram_2500_power_wagon/index.html

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
I'd skip the badges if it were me, but I think you've got a good start on your list. I've thought about adding Power Wagon stuff to mine over time too. I'm torn between building mine up, or buying a 4th Gen Power Wagon in a couple years.

·
PWOC #078
186 Posts
I look at beefed up 4x4 CTDs with the same awe as I do a Power Wagon. Just build a Bad A$$ truck and don't worry about badging.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny, i just talked to a guy locally who has a mock PW ctd reg cab. the last owner put a PW tailgate on it, a lift, and tires. looks great with dual stacks behind the cab! after readin' there was no such thing, i called him on it. he's actually yankin' the bed for a flatbed/dually transformation. cheese louise, buy a different truck.

anyways,
SUSPENSION: these cummins 2500s ride like a brick (like any other dodge 3/4 ton i've owned) so, i'd like to help that out if i can anyways. i have overload airbags on it, so if i swap the rear leaf pack out, i'll still have that for heavy loads. if i were to do a swap of leaf packs, i'd probably want to use factory PW leaves cuz they're a little softer and more progressive?? i just don't know about changin' out the fronts,...i may just leave that one alone.

SKID PLATES: what, specifically, is most vulnerable on your trucks. mine will be slightly different, so i'll roll around under there today to see. i'll probably be fabbin up something if i need it. are the t-cases beefy enough?

BADGES: honestly, i'm not much on badges, especially chrome, but those t-gate badges have a great old school look. i don't care about the door badges. if i do some monikers, i'll probably mask off a POWER WAGON over a big "C",...and do it with spray liner. anyways, that'd be LAST.

WHEELS/TIRES: i'm probably gonna go with steel wheels, maybe even 16" to get just a little more sponge out of the tires. i'm looking for a set of black center caps too,..i think they were on vans/fleet in the mid 90s. and 33" tires is my minimum (actual measurement). i'm gonna play around and see at what point i rub.

LOCKERS: dang, that's the expensive one. i do use my 4x4 fairly frequently. we get hard winters here, and i'm not known for taking the long way around stuff. but y'know, dana 70s and 80s out of older trucks (i missed 'em by just a year) are more plentiful and easier to get lockers for. and, i'm thinkin' a detroit or a lock-right auto locker. i'm not sure i wanna mess with air. and you guys' electric units sound a little tricky too.

btw, a lot of cummins were born in mejico too, though i haven't looked at mine that close yet. the mexican blocks are "strong like bull". the infamous 53 block that cracks was born in brazil.

as far as "never bein' a PW", that'd be according to ma mopar. a truck is how you use/build it,...and i'd say, my truck is more PW stock than many of the trucks that carried that name in the past, my 78 PW included. ma mopar shoulda mad a "CTDPW" on their own, then i wouldn't have to. i'm not too worried about qualifying in some way, i was gonna do these upgrades anyway.

thanks guys, i'll be watchin' this one.
kevin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually, i know the answer to t-case vulnerability already. the p.o. had to have a new t-case put in after he loaned the truck to a "friend", though i have no idea how he blew it.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
I'll try to help a little- I don't own a Power Wagon (yet) but I'll give you what I know.

1st- 16" wheels won't work because they won't clear the brakes

2nd- Suspension is a good question. I'm running a Kore system on my truck, but a few guys are running Carli and they like them too.
Kore: http://www.koreperformance.com/
Carli: http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/

I'll let the others chime in on lockers and skid plates.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
1)It's not a Power Wagon

2)Thuren, Carli, or kore have suspension systems designed for your truck that will perform how you want. call them

3)You said you want it to be a Power Wagon then listed just about every main feature of a Power Wagon and why you don't want it, can't do it and or wont do it

4)It will never be a Power Wagon make peace with that, putting the badges from something else on just ruins all the work your going to put into it, devalues both our trucks, and makes you look like an ass hole because we all know there are no diesel power wagon, or long bed power wagons etc.

you can make it a very capable truck but you can not make it a power wagon, if you want a power wagon then buy one. but based on what i've seen so far obvioulsy you don't want a power wagon, you just want the tail gate which is the definition of poser truck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1)It's not a Power Wagon

2)Thuren, Carli, or kore have suspension systems designed for your truck that will perform how you want. call them

3)You said you want it to be a Power Wagon then listed just about every main feature of a Power Wagon and why you don't want it, can't do it and or wont do it

4)It will never be a Power Wagon make peace with that, putting the badges from something else on just ruins all the work your going to put into it, devalues both our trucks, and makes you look like an ass hole because we all know there are no diesel power wagon, or long bed power wagons etc.

you can make it a very capable truck but you can not make it a power wagon, if you want a power wagon then buy one. but based on what i've seen so far obvioulsy you don't want a power wagon, you just want the tail gate which is the definition of poser truck.
thanks, i knew there'd be a few like you. your opinion is duely noted. the difinition of a PW throughout history has been A CAPABLE, TOUGH DODGE, most of which have been long beds and many of which were in fact diesels. i think you're less a fan of dodge, MoPar, or a "real" POWER WAGON, than you are of YOUR OWN TRUCK or it's supposed value.

my truck, in any state, makes more power than your hemi could ever dream of, and my "wagon" is longer too. there were variations of PWs, starting when they were first envisioned, to match the job at hand. every mod i'll make is utility and will serve a purpose, which is more than i can say about "rockstar" wheels and fancy paint. so, who's more in keeping with the original idea of the PW anyway? i ain't the one PULLIN' ORIGINAL PW STUFF OFF MY TRUCK.

as far as alternate axles, dana has a looooooong history with war rigs and PWs. for what leaf pack would work best, i ain't puttin' nothin on my truck that doesn't make it more capable, and that includes o.e. PW stuff. and for badges, i think i've said a few times that it's LAST ON MY LIST, and that i'm not a fan of chrome anyway, so get over it.

enough said, if you don't wanna be constructive, then bugger off. i'm an old school mechanic who likes to make things better as i go. i don't just yank & replace stuff if it wasn't working to expectations in the first place. i'm gonna do a "superfish" too,...a superbird type variation on a 66 barracuda that the factory never made, with a huge fin on the back and a cartoon barracuda decal. i suppose you'd crap on that too?

i had supposed that many of you PW owners were cool truck owners who appreciate a capable rig, and i'm sure many of you are. for those of you who have ego issues, don't respond to my thread.

kevin

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
wow, that's basically the reaction I expected but I have no idea what your talking about if your referring to me as the "rockstar" pulling oem parts off my truck and as I said a few times your headed in the right direction, the stuff your looking at doing will make it more capable but it wont make a power wagon, and by trying to pass it off as one your just watering down the hard work you put into it. by you definition a guy in a lifted eagle can call his car a power wagon because he made it more capable. I'm not going to continue to argue with you about it though

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aaaaaanywaaaaaaays, thanks 04.:tup: the aftermarket suspension kits aren't too bad actually, except there ain't much to 'em. cheese, i might just do it in the garage for next to nothin' if i decide i need a little lift.

my wife asked, when i went to buy the truck, "now, you don't need anything else for it, right??". to which i replied, "nope, nothin'". ...define "need". i mean, she thinks a new air filter and oil change are added expenses.:rolleyes::whip:

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
ok, good fer you daddywinz:tup:

i've actually been wantin to put the lockers and winch on my truck, and maybe callin it a CUMMINS Wagon or somethin like that;D:cool:

and, i don't really wanna sound derogatory about this, but i think that most of the pw guys think that they are better than us guys who own just regular 4x's, and honestly any dodge at all:tdwn: kinda like the folks who buy the cummins dodges just for the cummins and not the dodge:WHT:

ok, off rant:SPIN:

and, daddywinz, if ya could give me some links to the dana 60/80 lockers, i'd appreciate it:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
As for Dana axles:as far as alternate axles, dana has a looooooong history with war rigs and PWs. Not really. The Military and flat fender Power Wagons came with Chrysler designed and manufactured differentials with drop out center sections similar to the 8 3/4 and Ford 9" designs.

In actuality the Only Military Dodge trucks that had Dana axles were the M88X series of Dodges of the late 70s, and they were 8 lug sealed hub Dana 44's in the front:tdwn: And they were OPEN diffs. They were not really spec'd out as off road trucks, mostly used for highway driving.

·
PWOC #078
186 Posts
the difinition of a PW throughout history has been A CAPABLE, TOUGH DODGE, most of which have been long beds and many of which were in fact diesels.
Mmmm, thanks for the education; all this time, I thought a Power Wagon was a truck Dodge produced and put a Power Wagon Logo on. Apparantly, it is any truck someone fixes up and sticks badging on. Additionally, I am by no means a Power Wagon expert, but someone on here has stated that Power Wagons have never had a diesel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dana 70 detroit locker for just $426, after a google search: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-129843-dana-70-detroit-locker.html

dana 80: $639 for a detroit, and just $389 for a lock-right.

i also looked em up on craigslist locally and was able to find several of either for $500 or so,...some of them with posi already.

so, i haven't seen such support for the aam stuff, does a decent (and reasonably cheap) aftermarket exist? i don't mind stuffin' a detroit in there if i can get it. ....well, here's something,...an arb for the aam for about $900. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/ARB-Air-Locker-Dodge-p-17112.html hmmm. i still don't see any auto lockers.

and by the way, this wouldn't be the first time i got a few facts mixed up regarding what years had what, etc., or even which brand of military rigs had diesels or not, so get used to it. point being (OBVIOUSLY) i'm taking a decent truck platform and makin' it better to suit my needs. i also happen to be a huge fan of the kind of mean & crazy dodge has served up over the years. are you nancy boys:bawl: gonna help or should i go to a forum where they ain't so proud?

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
daddywinz, nobody here is busting your chops on wanting to improving your truck. What has happen. Some people are looking to buy Power Wagons and are coming across regular 2500's being passed off as Power Wagons. No winches, lockers and smart bars, just badging added, if that. So, it's a touchie subject when somebody want to put PW badging on. If you got questions, ask away. :D
Oh, by the way. Never been a diesel in a PW. Just flat heads, and Hemi's. LOL

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Dana 60/70 are excellent choices. A 70/80 would be darn near indestructable. I would not worry about the badging. Think of a cool name as suggested earlier, it will be more your own then. But I gotta say, all that will be LOTS of coin. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, i did read quite a bit about jackass dealers yankin' winches off,...or maybe just private sellers who couldn't get the money they wanted out of 'em (a really common problem these days). but i haven't seen much in the way of badge mimicking. i've only seen a couple PWs around here. they actually seem pretty rare.

seems to me ma mopar didn't market them very well, or i just wasn't payin' attention. they really shoulda sold it as an add-on package, not a separate line. lots of guys, especially cummins buyers, woulda bought a bunch. dodge has great ideas but drops the ball a lot. if yer gonna do crazy, ya gotta commit.

in any case, it ain't d.i.y.ers or even posers that're killin' the market. that's like sayin' hot rod builders are killin' the car collector industry. and i assume the PW market has always had issues, even before the recession hit so hard. it's numbskulls that fork over their money without knowing what it's even for,...like buying a PW without a friggin' winch (or anything else PW on it). what kinda dummy does that?

all right, so i poked the bee's nest. are y'all done, or do i need to come back with smoke cans?

ABOUT THE WINCH: i have a 10k# winch i was thinkin' of using in hitch mounts, front or rear, is that way under rated for this big pig? i just hate having redundant things for every rig, especially when it's expensive. opinions?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts