DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor has it that the 06 rams will have multiple displacement (can save $$$ on gas). This seems like something that would be computer controlled. My question is, what are the odds that multiple displacement could be added on to a 3rd gen ram? (a long shot i know, but im curious)

·
Registered
150 Posts
From what I have read about the "MDS" Hemi system coming on the 2006 Ram
the turning off of 4 cyl. is controlled by a oil manifold solinoid valve or something close to that which when activated causes the Lifters on 4 cyl.'s to stop opening the intake and exhaust valves..
I think it would be less expensive to just trade up..to 2006.

Ron D

·
Banned
505 Posts
I'm not sure about this cylinder shutoff stuff to get better mileage. I mean, I understand why they need to get more fuel economy, but why has GM been able to do such a good job of getting HP and decent fuel economy out of their pushrod engines? The Hemi makes ferocious power, but I swear mine gets thirstier all the time. It really gets old needing gas all the time. My low fuel light is probably about ready to burn out!! :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
In the EPA test of Highway MPG,
the new 5.7 Hemi MDS only gained 1 mpg from the previous year's model, and part of this may be due to the differential gear ratio changing from the standard 3.55 to 3.21

The EPA mpg tests are not very 'real world' but they are a guide that the gain from MDS in a heavy truck is not that much.

One of the magazine reviews of the new 2006 Rams also said that by his experience the overhead computer only went up by 2 when the MDS kicked in after the truck was cruising at a steady highway speed. That was about a 8% gain. This is quite a bit less than DC's advertising of "Up to 20% improvement"

The MDS system works better in the 5.7 Hemi GCJeeps/300C/Magnum vehicles because they more lightly load the engine with their smaller aerodynamic cross section and lower weight than the pickup.

To put the MDS system in an earlier Ram you would need to buy a new engine, PCM Computer, and wiring harness. It would be cheaper to buy a 2006 Ram next yr when they are used models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.