DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gonna put in my 18" Magnaflow muffler kit tomorrow that I purchased from Mufflex (FYI, one of the sponsors here sells it for the same price, so buy from the sponsors to support the site).

Just wondering, what kind of photos or videos or anything do you want to see? I'm already thinking of doing the before and after vid that others have done since I have the 18" and others have the 14". I'm also thinking of documenting the install with pictures. Are you guys interested in seeing this stuff? Let me know before tomorrow ;)

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished putting everything together. It was a surprisingly easy install. Took me an hour from start to finish (without air tools). I used a can of WD40 (for lube), a 1/2" 15mm deep socket, and a 15mm wrench. I have some video I'll post later.

Here is my thoughts on sound. The 18" isn't loud enough IMHO. It sounds good, but it's softer than I imagined it to be. If I were to do it again, I would get the 14". There is a slight drone between 60-70, but it really isn't that bad at all. With music on you can't even hear it. It's actually hard to tell the difference between stock and the 18" in some cases. Of course, when you floor it, it sounds great :)

Mufflex rates the sound a 7 out of 10. I would say it's more like a 4-5. I'm compraing the sound to my 2002 Dodge Ram 5.9l that had the 50 series flowmaster, K&N CAI and bigger throttle body. Probably when I add the CAI later it will sound even better. Anyway, I'll post pics and vids probably tomorrow, maybe today depending on time.

One last thing, I noticed right away softer shifting and it feels like slightly less power. I'm assuming the computer has to adjust for the difference in air flow and it takes about 100 miles? Does this sound right? Thanks!

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the first video. This is the typical before after revving video. I'll post the second video of freeway and around town sounds as soon as it is ready, which should be within the next hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yT8bfdd8d8

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
i thought the same about the loudness when i first put mine on, but like the other guy said..wait till it breaks in.

i'd have to say mine is finally starting to break in after about 300-400 miles now and the sound has definitely gotten louder/deeper.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
subcribing to watch vid later. is this a round case or oval case mag?

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought the same about the loudness when i first put mine on, but like the other guy said..wait till it breaks in.

i'd have to say mine is finally starting to break in after about 300-400 miles now and the sound has definitely gotten louder/deeper.
I'm starting to hear a difference already after 100 miles. It really is getting deeper and louder, wow!

Also, I've noticed improvement in the low end and a slight decline in the high end. When I punch it while I'm on the freeway, it is softer than it was, but the low end is much punchier, it is nice. To be honest, I didn't expect to really feel any difference but it is noticeable. Can anyone else confirm this? Or is it just my imagination?

And last, I started with a full tank of gas after the muffler was installed. I can say 100% that their is an increase in gas mileage. I am seeing a clear 1 MPG improvement and this is with me punching the pedal all the time and playing around different RPMs. I wonder how much difference I'll see after I stop flooring it constantly, lol. :D

I would love to hear other folks feedback about anything I've said so far. Am I full of BS or do others see/feel what I'm seeing?

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts
I'm starting to hear a difference already after 100 miles. It really is getting deeper and louder, wow!

Also, I've noticed improvement in the low end and a slight decline in the high end. When I punch it while I'm on the freeway, it is softer than it was, but the low end is much punchier, it is nice. To be honest, I didn't expect to really feel any difference but it is noticeable. Can anyone else confirm this? Or is it just my imagination?

And last, I started with a full tank of gas after the muffler was installed. I can say 100% that their is an increase in gas mileage. I am seeing a clear 1 MPG improvement and this is with me punching the pedal all the time and playing around different RPMs. I wonder how much difference I'll see after I stop flooring it constantly, lol. :D

I would love to hear other folks feedback about anything I've said so far. Am I full of BS or do others see/feel what I'm seeing?
That will never happen. :thatfunny:D

That's basically the same muffler I have. I love how it sounds and it did get increasingly louder the first 400-500 miles. I will have to watch the vids when I get home.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
I think I asked the wrong question. I want to know what type of muffler is it? Do you have a part number maybe so I can look it up. I'm looking at an XL series muffler.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with you completely on this..no B/S. i thought at first that I had lost power, but seems like the longer i've had it the better it keeps getting power-wise and sound. MPG have gone up with me despite the heavy foot too! Doesnt get better than that! haha

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
The truck sounds good.

As for the lose of power did you all unhook a battery terminal after installing. I've heard that is helps the computer recongnize the "power" more quickly.

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
Props on the great vids! You are right, too soft though. Needs to be louder!

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I asked the wrong question. I want to know what type of muffler is it? Do you have a part number maybe so I can look it up. I'm looking at an XL series muffler.
I'm not sure which part it is. It comes with a kit sold by Mufflex. Click the muffler link in my sig. It'll take you to Mufflex's site.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with you completely on this..no B/S. i thought at first that I had lost power, but seems like the longer i've had it the better it keeps getting power-wise and sound. MPG have gone up with me despite the heavy foot too! Doesnt get better than that! haha
Glad to hear I'm not crazy :)

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The truck sounds good.

As for the lose of power did you all unhook a battery terminal after installing. I've heard that is helps the computer recognize the "power" more quickly.
Hmm, haven't tried that one. Maybe I'll do that.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Props on the great vids! You are right, too soft though. Needs to be louder!
It has actually gotten louder after 100 miles. It's starting to really sound deeper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.