DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it hurt to run my 24V with no muffler I looked under it yesterday and found it is all straight pipe. Guess the previous owner though it was not necessary.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It will help keep your exhaust temps lower. The stock muffler and cat are the most restrictive parts of the system. It is usually one of the first things we do to a diesel truck, is yank that crap off.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok but besides emission being crap will it hurt my truck to run it like that. Or is there any negative effects.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No negative effects at all, only positive. As for the emissions laws, you truck should be old enough it doesn't need to pass any.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
In most states a turbo is a muffler, and diesels don't need cats (which your's didn't technically have anyways). CA is the only place retarded enough to start hardcore diesel emissions, for now :(

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't have testing where I live but don't want to harm the engine in the long run. I was thinking of changing exhaust to dual 4" with turbo mufflers.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
a good 4in single straight pipe will support 600hp. It won't harm the motor at all, just relieve drive pressure and help the turbo spool faster, which is always good.

Unless you like the looks, duals aren't necessary, and all the mufflers will do is quiet it down and maybe rob a little hp and turbo spool.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Agreed. An open 4" single is just fine for most every one.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I like the dual look. So would it benefit to change to 4" exhaust over the dual 2 3/4 exhaust.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I will stick with the dual I have if it will not make that much difference as I like the way it sounds. Oh I guess it looks small I never though of it like that. Means it is a sleeper right?

Attachments

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know it is bigger coming down from the turbo. It does look like a gas truck.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know have no way to measure. Just know that it is all pipe and no mufflers.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yup, put the 4" duals on ASAP.
I'd try it without a muffler 1st then if the drone starts gittin' on yer nerves, you can always cut in a muffler. Make sure the tailpipe ends stick out a few inches from the quarter panels so the noise won't get trapped under the back of the truck.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That's gonna look good. Most dual 4" ends are connected to 2" pipes...yuk

I wish you'd heard the black dually with dual 5" stacks in the bed I heard about an hour ago....looked and sounded real good.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I do it I am going dual 4 all the way back only problem is it is 4" from turbo to a 5" chamber to dual 4" I guess this is normal and it is muffler free. I figured it is not loud now so why restrict it with a muffler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.