DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just wondering if anyone has removed the muffler and stuck a straight pipe in its place and just ran with the cat and then the stock pipe all the way back; and if there would be any computer problems (but i dont think there should be). local shop says all the newer chevys sound great and no problems.might do this till the cash rolls in for headers and full exhaust.
thanx; :cool: :rck: :cool:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Had a guy drive me back from the shop one day in a '94 Ram pickup. He had no cat or muffler. Just straight pipes out the back....it sounded pretty good and I didn't notice any engine light.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are a few people in the site who's done it....no problems from what i hear, use the search feature and you'll find out a few posts on that.... I was thinking about it myself but i might just go with the muffler swap for a flowmaster 40 in a few weeks...

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I first bought my truck it did not have a muffler on it. Just straight pipe from the cat back. It sounded pretty good, no engine codes either

·
Registered
346 Posts
got mine cut the day after i got the truck...sounds good and no lights

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's exactly what I did to mine after the warranty expired. Just took the muffler out of the equation. The result - LOUD. Too loud for me. The 'puter didn't seem to mind - no codes.

My Ram now sports two generic glass packs (a Y pipe after the cat) and exits just ahead of the pass rear tire. Sorta NSCAR looking. Loud enough to turn some heads, and really loud at WFO, :drivingz: but respectable in the city.

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
Does anyone know if in Illinois it is legal to have side exhaust like the lightning does? I heard somewhere you cant do it to cars (i did anyway) but you can on trucks.... Id love to have a side exhaust on a truck

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Most of time it's okay to put side pipes on a pickup because there isn't a passenger compartment that the exhaust exits under. It's vehicles like SUV's, vans, and cars that it's not allowed on. But a call to your local MVA should give you the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have straight pipes on mine, no problems. I have heard though that eliminating the muffler decreases performance because your truck is designed to run w/ one, but I have never seen any evidence suggesting that is true. Straight pipes do sound good though :D

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
do it yourself

sawzall, hacksaw etc.

$1.99ea for clamps, you need 2
and like 5$ for the pipe

Cut, slip over new pipe, clamp and ur done

·
I need a truck!!!
2,115 Posts
My muffler shop charged me like 20 bucks to take the muffler off and weld a straight pipe in its place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sawzall does work good like CoreySS said, plus its fun cuttin' up stuff sometimes! (obvious point) make sure you measure your pipe for the new one, there's like three different sizes, not sure what truck you have, mine was 2 1/4" to 3" on my V10.

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
you can do a turn down. whats wrong with clamps?! welding is easy to, but that helps when I can weld, and that my 18yo brother is the 8th best welder in the state :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.