DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple Spark Discharge.......anyone have any info for me as to is this any good in our trucks? if it is then hows the economy and power? from what i understand it sends multiple sparks rather than just one in order to get a more complete combustion for power and economy...

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
I am a Huge fan of MSD and have been ever since they came out..... however I do not think they have anythng out for our trucks yet....

TJ

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like what is so great about it though? because many of my friends and relatives have it

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
well, let me see if I can remember.... I put on my very first MSD in the mid to late 70s, on a 440 Roadrunner, it was rated at 7 to 21 sparks per firing... in other words it output that many sparks EVERY time the plug was supposed to fire. When combined with the Accel Supercoil ( the big yellow one ) at the time output voltage was rated at 84,000+ volts... and let me tell you I had HELL keeping the spark in the wires. The little 7 mm wires I had on it at the time, if you placed a wire within 1/4 inch of any ground you could see spark jump from the middle of the wire to ground. This was WAY before the Helicore wires were available. ( I eventually got a setup that kept the spark in the wire and did not crossfire but that is another story). You also did NOT touch the primary side of the coil as it would zap you just as hard as the secondary side, the MSD put 440 volts across the primary side. I had a somewhat small cam in the 440, Cam Dynamics 480 lift 290 degrees advertised and had quite the lope.. or so I thought. after the MSD was installed the first thing I had to do was drop my idle 200 RPM and the lope was mostly gone.... The difference in performance was AMAZING... but you must remember, this was in the day of dual points and electronic ignitions were just coming out, no one wanted one as you could not work on it on the side of the road!
the MSD really cured my big problems which were Hi Rpm misfire, have been sold ever since....

TJ

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.